• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Michael Richards ends his career.

The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7uKvpzVXI

The apology on Letterman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhhj3dX0qU&mode=related&search=

Well, after seeing the video, I have to say some things, firstly the end result is just stupid, but I feel like defending him as a comedian, I dont think he used the N-word because he's racist, I believe he TRIED being shocking and outrageous to make a point about something, it seems he tries to turn his rage into a racist act or character or something, if you wanna know how this should be done, look no further than Bill Hicks, same racist insane outrage, but he manages to pull it off and come out as "brilliant comedian" instead of "racist asshole"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTCiCgEkoE

Its also striking how everytime the N-word is mentioned, the cracker comment is pretty damn close.

Oh well, we only got one planet, so lets just all get along, eh?

Now now now! Sounds like somebody has a case of the poor me's.

Ok, not at all aplicable, but I love that episode of RvB :)

It's a joyous double standard world we live in. Had a black comedian called a white heckler cracker, beaner, whatever, this would be a non-issue. Or, had a black comedian said those things to a black heckler, it would be a non-issue. Joy to the world.

Also, I have yet to hear what the audience members were saying outside of 'playful heckling'. You don't ****ing heckle the comedian unless he really outrageously ****s. It's just asking for trouble.​

Upvote 0
Lol! That Bill Hicks is masterful, great stuff! As for Michael Richards just watching the David Letterman clip with the overly apolagetic/ My life now needs to be rexamined and I need to devote myself to making amends with the entire universe because I blew a gasket in public makes me lose even more faith in how PC this country is. The guy made a mistake because he was pushed to the edge, BFD! When someone makes you mad you usually end up using every derogatory term you can think of to insult them. It's not cause you hate an entire race it's because you hate that particular person and want to unleash every nasty thing you can think of to retaliate. Had the hecklers not pushed him to the breaking point none of this would've occured.

Upvote 0
Had the hecklers not pushed him to the breaking point none of this would've occured.

No, but if you join the buisness of stand-up comedy you have to count on running into hecklers, so you either act like a proffesional, or find another job. the world is full of stupid, drunk idiots, specially in clubs etc. so its like working in a school or kindergarden or something, those kids WILL behave like **** sometimes, but as the professional, you cant beat the living **** out them or something like that, even tho you may think that to yourself..

As I said, I think he actually tried to make a point,or go into character, but failed miserably.

Upvote 0
Lol! That Bill Hicks is masterful, great stuff! As for Michael Richards just watching the David Letterman clip with the overly apolagetic/ My life now needs to be rexamined and I need to devote myself to making amends with the entire universe because I blew a gasket in public makes me lose even more faith in how PC this country is. The guy made a mistake because he was pushed to the edge, BFD! When someone makes you mad you usually end up using every derogatory term you can think of to insult them. It's not cause you hate an entire race it's because you hate that particular person and want to unleash every nasty thing you can think of to retaliate. Had the hecklers not pushed him to the breaking point none of this would've occured.

Well I don't know what happened before they started recording that bit but it's clear that it was him that started all of this. Even if someone DID provoke him, who cares? Just ignore him and continue the damn show.

Though it is hypocrite that black people can call each other a "ni****, but as soon as a white man says it, it's racism. There's a terrible song on the radio that continiously repeats lyrics that go like "I love my b*tch, I love you ni****"... but that's totally acceptable, appearantly. :rolleyes:

No BicycleRepairMan, I don't know him.

Upvote 0
I dont understand why people take offence anymore..but if they do (because of the history of the word) then it is uncalled for using it to insult people. I think a black guy can be racist towards white guys and get away with it because most white guys probably dont take offence. People should just rise above it when the society has equal rights and stuff. Maybe if you take offence its because you have a feeling of being an inferior race under the surface? That shouldnt be the case in a fair and equal society though. Racism is just pure idiocy anyway - first of all saying the offending word, and also because people shouldnt be offended by it in the first place. I mean if I had different colour skin and someone pointed that out to me, I would be like "yes I agree I am of such and such ethnicity, I hadnt noticed before TY for pointing that out for me. TY for the compliment". I dont get it. I can see how you would take offence in an unequal society or if there were cultural differences, but not in a place like USA (unless it is a lot more racist that I thought).

Upvote 0
I dont understand why people take offence anymore..but if they do (because of the history of the word) then it is uncalled for using it to insult people. I think a black guy can be racist towards white guys and get away with it because most white guys probably dont take offence. People should just rise above it when the society has equal rights and stuff. Maybe if you take offence its because you have a feeling of being an inferior race under the surface? That shouldnt be the case in a fair and equal society though. Racism is just pure idiocy anyway - first of all saying the offending word, and also because people shouldnt be offended by it in the first place. I mean if I had different colour skin and someone pointed that out to me, I would be like "yes I agree I am of such and such ethnicity, I hadnt noticed before TY for pointing that out for me. TY for the compliment". I dont get it. I can see how you would take offence in an unequal society or if there were cultural differences, but not in a place like USA (unless it is a lot more racist that I thought).

This is a complex issue, firstly, its the whole slave thing, then(after the slavery ended) there were quite a few years where racism was the status quo, up until Dec 1, 1955, only 51 years ago, it was the common norm that black people simply didnt have the same rights as a white man, the N-word was then a common, everyday word, along with down-putting things like "boy" etc. Then Rosa Parks and MLK changed all that. Point is, there are still people living today that remember those days.

Secondly, its a known fact that blacks are on average poorer than the whites, there are higher crime rates etc. And although the name-calling and systematic repressiveness is for the most part over, black people feel like they arent heard (elections, Katrina) and just ignored by the state.

Anyways, I dont think its just one thing that makes the N-word so wrong, perhaps in a hundred years or so, it will be irrelevant who uses n-this, cracker-that, simply because we're all colourblind, but I guess thats just dreaming..

Upvote 0
I didn't know this guy even had a career after Seinfeld. Even though he might not be an excellent comedian, the hecklers probably did deserve to be yelled at. Nobody likes a heckler, all they do is frustrate the comic and give the audience a bad experience. Bringing racial slurs into this, however, is totally out of line. I frankly don't give half a care about any racial slurs myself, but they almost always get tons of people royally PO'ed. He should have known better, because if a famous person uses any sort of racial slur its career suicide + new enemy of the state. Take Mel Gibson for example.

Let's try not to make this a locked thread, but I'll guess it probably will be eventually...

Upvote 0
Well, personally I don't see why people get offended by racial slurs, but as long as they do one would be wise not to use them. What this guy did was over the top, but imho the media is once making a huge deal out of nothing.

And although the name-calling and systematic repressiveness is for the most part over, black people feel like they arent heard (elections, Katrina) and just ignored by the state.
Its not that they are not being heard and ignored, its the fact that its alot easier to blame "the white man" for opressing you or "the dirty mexican" for "stealing" your job. It's difficult to accept responsibility for your actions in many situations, and this escapist attitude is certainly independant of color.

Upvote 0