• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Why do ppl open hatch to view in combat?

Never have the driver's hatch open when close to enemy tanks or infantry. I've killed enemy tanks with one shot by firing through an open drivers hatch! And I've shot both commanders and drivers who had their heads exposed with my trusty rifle.:cool:

On Orel, my StuG had been "tracked" when I saw a T-34 driving past me, going full tilt towards North Village. I fired 1 shot at 300 yards and a 90 degree deflection, and killed the driver. I like to think it was skill that allowed me to hit the thing, but it was pure fluke that I'd hit the driver.

I hadn't realised I'd killed the driver, it just slowed and stopped. It came to a halt outside of my arcs of fire, so I sat feeling helpless, waiting for the turret to turn and finish me off. I only realised I'd killed the crew when the driver messaged me on the public channel.

Upvote 0
Amen to this! On the Orel map, if you control the Ruins and the Eastern Heights (and Field) you can pretty much drive head-out. I always keep an eye on the map on to make sure what the situation is, too, just in case. Once you near the 'corner' of the Eastern Heights or the Ruins you'd best button up and let the TC use his binoculars to scan ahead- and drive the smoothest route so he doesn't bounce around and get disoriented.

Other maps, like Arad, most people are getting to know them pretty well so you can stay butttoned up most of the time; just stay clear of the villages or the ground-pounders will shoot you out of the turret if you're out trying to see where they are!

The only time I'll drive with my hatch open is in rear areas and when moving perpendicular to the expected angle of attack. For instance, on Orel moving to East Field or West Field when there may be a shot fired at me from the heights. Then I can see where the tank fires from better with my hatch open.

Never have the driver's hatch open when close to enemy tanks or infantry. I've killed enemy tanks with one shot by firing through an open drivers hatch! And I've shot both commanders and drivers who had their heads exposed with my trusty rifle.:cool:

Upvote 0
On Orel, my StuG had been "tracked" when I saw a T-34 driving past me, going full tilt towards North Village. I fired 1 shot at 300 yards and a 90 degree deflection, and killed the driver. I like to think it was skill that allowed me to hit the thing, but it was pure fluke that I'd hit the driver.

hah. Yeah, I've had that happen from the other end. Mine was straight on though.

I had JUST popped open the hatch for a better view and all the sudden I see this round..thing growing in my screen. Just enough time for an "oh crap" and THUD. AP round to the head.

Upvote 0
My head is out of the tank turret continuously. I think I have been killed only once due to being exposed. (ooer missus!)

During team tanking however, it is crucial that the drivers head is out of the tank, checking for threats nearby, that cannot otherwise be seen. The gunner should have their head at the gunsights making sure of a kill with the main gun. It is upto the driver to check for anyone else nearby that is a bigger threat. If my head was inside the tank all the time I wouldnt last half as long as I do at the moment.

Having said that, I have shot at least 20 people due to being able to shoot at their exposed heads.

Upvote 0
peeps hatch open in combat because when in the panther the exposed commander is immune to even tank shells, machine gun rounds just bounce of his 6 pack... ****ing bug that causes them to be ifriggenmune to mg rounds..

I think thats your computer's problem. I used to have the bug where I can see through tanks like x-ray vision. Tank Drivers can easily be killed by anything, even normal rifles. If you don't have this problem, the Tank's machinegun is inaccurate, so you have to spray all your shots at him!

Upvote 0
peeps hatch open in combat because when in the panther the exposed commander is immune to even tank shells, machine gun rounds just bounce of his 6 pack... ****ing bug that causes them to be ifriggenmune to mg rounds..

I've been TKed from the commanders positions on the Panther.
The guy was using a Luger or P-38.
It was during the free week.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's a sync issue when you fire at the commander and hit him but he doesn't die.

And in combat, as a driver, I'm generally only poking my head out occasionally to check threats. It's more or less dangerous depending on your tank. In the T34s, it's REALLY stupid to open the hatch for longer than a second. In the German tanks, it's not quite as bad, but you're still vulnerable to small arms fire and HE shells.

As a commander, I'm scanning the field and popping my head out to get a sense of what else is out there to tell the driver where to angle. But I'm only unbuttoning for a few seconds here and there.

Upvote 0
As a tanker, The only time im buttoned up is when Im in direct combat. Its impossible to see buttoned up, although if you could find a couple of cooprative infantry, they could play spotter for you I suppose, but that isnt practical.

As a tank hunter, I love to lie in wait, hit them with a panzerfaust... if it doesnt kill them, I immediately switch to the rifle, becuase chances are, theyre going to pop out to survey their surroundings. Thats when they get shot if my aim is right.

Upvote 0
in that have 3 crew slots, i find that if there are only 2 crew and i'm the commander, it's sometimes easier (and safer) to swtich to the 3rd mger position first to scan the battlefield before i decide where to unbutton. the mg view is limited but it also scans much faster. it's usually sufficient but if its not then i'll choose to unbutton to get a better view of the area. i noticed that in some tanks the mg sights have magnification but others don't.

Upvote 0