• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kolno beta

What large download???? Once its all uz2'd its small and with redirect, its a fast download!!!

Just uz2 all the large files - not just the map and put it all in the redirect.

I think the uz2 tex file is over 20mb, which is pretty big, much bigger than most maps. I think some of the textures are at an excessive resolution, so I'm going to cut them down for performance, because it won't really be visible, and to shrink the file. The problem is that 95% of the content is original, which makes for long downloads.

Upvote 0
I figured that was the case, I'm going to put out another beta version, release the uz2 files first so that servers use them for the redirect.

Most of the changes I've made a small, but there may be some bigger stuff to come with the two ending objectives. I've also managed to shrink the texture package down a bit and reduce the texture memory foot print, and the map is running smoother as a result. I'm also trying some lod stuff, but it remains to be seen if it will work for the map.

Upvote 0
I think the uz2 tex file is over 20mb, which is pretty big, much bigger than most maps. I think some of the textures are at an excessive resolution, so I'm going to cut them down for performance, because it won't really be visible, and to shrink the file. The problem is that 95% of the content is original, which makes for long downloads.

When setup right.... the redirect for this map is fast.... the whole thing downs in 5 minutes or less.

Upvote 0
When setup right.... the redirect for this map is fast.... the whole thing downs in 5 minutes or less.
Just remember that anything over 1 minute is an eternity for a lot of people these days.

My only complaint is that the "package" isn't as neat as most custom maps. I love the idea of map makers creating custom content but it will become a nightmare for server admins when more map makers start to do it. Can you imagine having to stop your server, add the ROM file and other associated files, add new mod folders, and then finish it off by having to add some lines to your INI file. That's a lot of work to add just one map. On the other hand I don't really see too many map makers taking the time to create the custom content so this may never become a problem.

I could have sworn WickedPenguin made a map with custom content and he was able to include it in the ROM file.

Upvote 0
Just remember that anything over 1 minute is an eternity for a lot of people these days.

My only complaint is that the "package" isn't as neat as most custom maps. I love the idea of map makers creating custom content but it will become a nightmare for server admins when more map makers start to do it. Can you imagine having to stop your server, add the ROM file and other associated files, add new mod folders, and then finish it off by having to add some lines to your INI file. That's a lot of work to add just one map. On the other hand I don't really see too many map makers taking the time to create the custom content so this may never become a problem.

I could have sworn WickedPenguin made a map with custom content and he was able to include it in the ROM file.

Freeman!! Of course I have a memory... How have you been??

You do not have to stop and start the server. You can add the new maps and files etc., and then use webadmin to do a restart level at an opportune moment. All the new stuff is then added and you can build your rotation with webadmin and go from there without ever taking the server down.

Yes, I realize that instant gratification is epidemic but... if you want the map and wish to play in an exquisite map, then you'll wait the few moments the download takes. This is a fun map!! If not, then you stay in the dark.

By the time this puppy goes final it'll all be ironed out, I am certain.

Upvote 0
You do not have to stop and start the server. You can add the new maps and files etc., and then use webadmin to do a restart level at an opportune moment. All the new stuff is then added and you can build your rotation with webadmin and go from there without ever taking the server down.
Yes, I know about these options. I was referring to the fact that you have to edit the INI file. In order to save INI file changes the server has to be down.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know about these options. I was referring to the fact that you have to edit the INI file. In order to save INI file changes the server has to be down.

Take the server down to edit the .ini file?? I don't have to do that at all. I edit my .ini file all the time and do the webadmin restart map thing to get the changes to take effect. But I am puzzled, why would you have to edit the .ini file for the use of this map? Ya lost me there. I didn't have to edit my .ini file to run this map. Webadmin does that for you "on the fly" if you are referring to the rotation list and many other changes.

Upvote 0

You can do this with the myLevel packages. Everything saved to this package is stored directly in the .rom file. I did this for the 150ish custom textures/statics for Leningrad and while it does bloat the map size (Leningrad stands at 56MB currently) it does make it a lot easier on server admins.

I suspect Flash didn't use the myLevel system because the map at one point was supposed to be an official TW map to be included into the game. Not sure on that though, just a hunch.

Upvote 0
Take the server down to edit the .ini file??

From the read me, pay close attention to the highlighted portion:
All uz2 files go in thesame main redirect direction of your redirect space no special folder for different files)

all .u files should go in your server ro system directory
all .utx files should go in your server ro textures directory
all .usx files should go in your server ro staticmeshes directory
all .rom files should go in your server ro maps directory
all folers with .uc files go in the main red orchestra directory

Under
[Engine.GameEngine]
Press enter behind some serverpackages and add the additional lines:

ServerPackages=G_Heer1KolnoMod
ServerPackages=G_Heer2KolnoMOd
ServerPackages=R_RKKASpring1KolnoMod

make sure that Allowdonwloads is set to true under the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
four the 3 small 2kb .u files (not worthy of compression imho)
That's from the server rerelease of the map.

@DrGuppy
Thanks for the explanation!

Upvote 0
I suspect Flash didn't use the myLevel system because the map at one point was supposed to be an official TW map to be included into the game. Not sure on that though, just a hunch.

I think it more likely that mylevel couldn't handle the shaders and the stuff required for new skins.

The fact is that if a custom mapmaker wants to make a map with custom textures and coding of any complexity then packages have to be used.

The mylevel package which is bundled into the map works fine for plain textures, sounds and so on but craps out big time when you try to create materials such as shaders and all the other things that help stop a map looking like another 'ho-hum' trawl through the SDK for vaguely appropriate material rather than a serious effort to make something with its own unique feel. As for custom classes etc. forget it.

TW can get round this by forcing everyone's game to update all the materials, coding, animation etc. that are required whenever they update something or introduce new aspects to the game.

Custom mappers cannot do this so server admins will have to accept that they face a choice:

1 - just not run the increasingly complex maps that come out as more skilled mappers produce stuff that pushes the boundaries....or

2 - learn the skillset involved in getting these maps useable on their servers.

I think the community should attempt to support the second option with detailed tutes about how to implement new stuff and server admins should take the second option as it is absolutely certain that the level of map-making is going up and that more mappers are going to want to introduce new bells and whistles.

Upvote 0
All uz2 files go in thesame main redirect direction of your redirect space no special folder for different files)

all .u files should go in your server ro system directory
all .utx files should go in your server ro textures directory
all .usx files should go in your server ro staticmeshes directory
all .rom files should go in your server ro maps directory
all folers with .uc files go in the main red orchestra directory

Under
[Engine.GameEngine]
Press enter behind some serverpackages and add the additional lines:

ServerPackages=G_Heer1KolnoMod
ServerPackages=G_Heer2KolnoMOd
ServerPackages=R_RKKASpring1KolnoMod

make sure that Allowdonwloads is set to true under the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
four the 3 small 2kb .u files (not worthy of compression imho)
Nevertheless, taking the server down is NOT required to make changes to the .ini file. I made the edits to the RedOrchestra.ini file while the server was running and brought them into play by restarting the level it was currently running with WebAdmin.

In a nutshell, it is NOT necessary to take the server down to edit the .ini file.

Upvote 0
In a nutshell, it is NOT necessary to take the server down to edit the .ini file.
Try adding bans to the INI while people on the server. I forgot that you can edit the INI if the server is empty but there are people on the server it is a no go. We have a few servers where there are always people on them so it can be a pain to add this stuff.

Upvote 0
Try adding bans to the INI while people on the server. I forgot that you can edit the INI if the server is empty but there are people on the server it is a no go. We have a few servers where there are always people on them so it can be a pain to add this stuff.

I do it all the time, from the ADMIN Console.... the RO server here hasn't been "down" since the Booster Pack was installed. Using the remote Admin Console, when you kickban an idiot, it adds them to the .ini file for you on the fly. The Server need not be empty or down for any and all edits to occur and be saved. Additonally, I add folders and files to the ROOST directory and activate them by restarting the level.

Example: Every new map is added "on the fly" regardless of its particular requirements. As with the map we are discussing. I made all the changes and additions while the server was up and running. Then using WebAdmin, I restarted the level and all was in and recognized. Nestor was the first user to try the map on our server that very morning. He and I checked it out together and all was running ok. Without taking the server down and/or rebooting it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simply love this map. Only thing I'd like to see changed is the following...

Make glass breakable at Mill objective and make windows lower at that objective.

Also have noticed some weird bug when running through the stream... at some points, players just seem to jump out of the water.

As far as gameplay and performance... runs perfect.

Upvote 0