• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Snipers: I don't miss them

I feel as if I'm flogging a dead horse here and have been debating whether to post. But I think both sides raise valid points. Here's my two cents.

1.) Snipers (though a fickle class), if used correctly, can indeed prove a valuable asset to a main fire team, especially a small one.

I'd only use the sniper class to take out high value targets (machine gunners/enemy snipers/commanders) before a main strike, cover enemy advances to uncaptured/team captured objectives (provided the team have moved to another objective), or to provide an overwatch or recon of an area and help direct my team accordingly, especially if the teams are unequal. Unless my team specifically needed me in an actual combat support role, I'd let them take care of it. My job for the round would be done and I'd hold a cap zone if needed.

Using the rifle to take pot shots at things the assault team can easily handle is simply not cool, imo (especially if it's from a single position). I know I'd be a bit upset if some jerk stole my shot.

If you're going to be a sniper, it is in your best interest to take out targets that you think will help your buddies out the most. And no, this doesn't mean all of them.

2.) Almost anywhere a sniper can set up shop on an urban map, a rifleman can easily shoot to, or from, with the right amount of aim compensation. BUT this does not negate the class on these maps! In the real world, you wouldn't want to just try to pick off an enemy two blocks away from your position with a regular rifle. That would be nuts, albeit possible.

Prime example: Odessa. Even though coming out of the initial russian spawn point you could take out a sniper firing from the Grecheskaya Square building to your location by the apartments and sandbag emplacements with a Kar98k or Mosin, would you want to risk the ammo and possibly get picked off either by the sniper or the flanking enemy? I think if I had a sniper in my squad, I'd let him/her do their job while the fireteam takes and clears the apartments and then have the sniper move to cover further advancement to (or take) the square.

3.) Sniper scopes do need reflection. It's a bit unfair for the sniper to have a clear picture, regardless of weather effects. This would increase the difficulty of using the weapon by having to rethink a setup position or line of sight. I'd be for that change in a second.

4.) Want to talk about practicality here? Sniper rifles in Red Orchestra can actually be used in a manner that deems them worthy to be in the game.

I have to echo the sentiment about the Counter-Strike crowd and the autoscoping deal. Not only is it annoying in that game, but the accepted play speed moves way too fast to even use those rifles effectively (or at all). Scoping a kill at 5 meters and then running and gunning with an AWM. That's impractical. When I get into actual play I really hope I don't see that kind of stuff (but it will probably happen).

A lot of this "attitude" I'm seeing kind of recalls the elitism that game has. I'm really glad the scoreboard doesn't list individual kills for that very reason. It doesn't matter who's better at what in the game. As long as your teams wins (and you help if even just a little), who cares?

5.) What it all comes down to is a simple question for both the team and the individual: "Will the sniper help the team as a whole on a particular map in any way?" If not, leave it vacant. If so, bring it in. Something like that should be a team vote, I think.

Upvote 0
Snipers = scumm.
I really, really detest these cowards.
They hide in little corners and kill without actually getting into battle-range.
Bloody cowards that's what they are.
Even if you manage to get up close the bastard still has a pistol which can be very effective against a rifleman from up close.

I'm also very curious what kind of players choose this cowards-role. They might be players who lack a certain courage to face things in normal life too :p

Face me like a man and try to kill me then :D

Monk.

I was a sniper, I did 13 months in Iraq and I will face you anywhere anytime. I think its funny. The reason you hate snipers is because they wax you before you have a chance to fight. Thats what they are supposed to do. :D

I doubt you'd want to face me though.

bunker21.jpg

885d.jpg

Sorry to everyone else. I just had to.........:cool:

Upvote 0
I was a sniper, I did 13 months in Iraq and I will face you anywhere anytime. I think its funny. The reason you hate snipers is because they wax you before you have a chance to fight. Thats what they are supposed to do. :D

I doubt you'd want to face me though.

bunker21.jpg

885d.jpg

Sorry to everyone else. I just had to.........:cool:

Wrong site, I think this is where you wanted to post these:

www.myspace.com

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The real crack shots use bolts and they do not rely on super zoom to get a decent score. They hide away somewhere and wait for that nice shot. They take it, then move up to cap with the rest of the bolties.

Sniper rifles in this game were only added so a select few can pat their little e-penis and feel like Zaitsev from Enemy at the Gates.

You ask us if we don't like them because we "****" at them. No. The problem is that we feel we're too good with them. That anyone can be too good with them, really. Do I get killed by snipers a lot? Nope, not at all. It is annoying when they kill you, though. They are not on an equal playing ground. You set up in a tactical position and there comes mr. big shot to put one in between your eyes from a safe distance where nothing can really harm him.

If sway, refraction or jittering would actually affect snipers, sure, me and the other 90% of this community would respect them more. But until then, oh well.
Ever tried Sniping a running target at extreme range accounting for bullet drop+ bullet travel time+ your ping? It ain't easy. Good Sniping isn't about engaging enemies at the same distance as bolts only "you get zoom mode" It's about engaging targets at ranges which a bolt cannot. BTW I'm good with a bolt: Here is a pic of one of the running shots I made (out of 3 from the same spot) during Berezina round.
Zoom the pic in, see the dot above the sight? That's a guy.

Upvote 0
Holy Hell, those are some low-quality graphics.
And still I manage. Some guys complain when they can only run at 1240x1024 rather than widescreen 1600x1400 etc or whatever. Alot of players would shoot themselves if they played at my settings. I don't have money for a sweet PC right now but I don't whine or complain I just play.

Upvote 0
I've found sniping to be very tricky compared to the Iron Sighted Bolts but that was until I woke up and realised I had to compensate for distance (lead the target, etc).

The reason why CS kiddies love to grab a scoped rifle is because it's the only gun in RO that has a Cross Hair on it LOL..

That being said, I prefer to play Iron Sight using a bolt or Semi as I am cap orientated and realise that half the time it takes some1 with guts to constantly go in and cover/take caps to help win the map for the team. I find on Public Servers, I don't have the luxury to sit back and think strategic, I have to do it on the run and under heavy fire as half the team still has no comprehension about covering/taking cap zones to get objectives.

I also love other positions on the team like MG (especially post patch) and commander (good at directing the fight but not so great on Arty Calls).

Thing is, RO has a hell of a lot in it and it is what keeps the game interesting to me. Every part contributes to the team and at the end of the day that is what matters in this game, team work. Without it you and your team are going to get raped.

Upvote 0
BTW, playing as a bolt at 1024 x 768 is easier for long range kills than 1280 x 1024 or has been in my experience with the bolts. :)

Problem with LCD's though is their image quality is poxy unless running at full native resolution. Maybe oneday that will be fixed but if you have a CRT with good Anti Aliasing then the lower Res looks good and it is easier to play.

Upvote 0
You just made my day.
Most funny ego-reaction ever.
You also just proved 1 theory: some players cann't distinguish the difference between games and reality :D

Monk.

I'm sorry guys. I knew I shouldn't have posted things like that. Most of you are out of shape and nontrained, jealousy got the best of you. :D Oh, and trust me, I know its JUST a game. It seems to get more arcadish each time I play it. Still enjoy it though. If anyone wants to know real procedure, PM me. I'd be more than happy to assist.

Upvote 0