• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rememberance Day.

greywashgradientfinalrecp3.jpg

A poster I made at the request of a friend.

Upvote 0
here in belgium at Ypres, every single day a veteran plays the "last post" on his trompet in front of the ww1 memorial gate. there are always many people watching this, every day of the year...

its actually the only war where i would be glad to be a belgian soldier, since it was the only army of ww1 to refuse sacrificing its soldiers, and we had our king at the front on his horse leading the way... while the poor british or french soldiers were sacrificed by the 10.000 every day...

Upvote 0
sadley the vetrens are leaving us, and many of the young people these days live in ignorance. they absolutely dont care that people fought and died for them, frikken imbusiles. im seriously starting to wonder why most children go to school these days, their so stoopid, you wonder if they have caulking in their ears. i had a guy in class tell me he was gonna skip the remeberance day ceremony at school and i asked him why, his responce what that he dident give a shat, i kinda ripped into him and asked him why he couldent respect people who died for him for 1 minute, he was just kinda dumbfounded sitting there going uhhhh well ...

Upvote 0
I read in the newspaper today that only a dozen American WW1 vets are still alive.

One of them is 115? and holds the record for oldest living person.

Officially in Canada, we only have 3 WW1 veterans still alive, two men and one woman. Two are 107 and one is 105.
Most WW2 veterans are in their 80's. In Canada the National War museum is underataking the Memory Project, gathering in the veteran's own words their stories and lives and memorobilia so that what they experienced won't all be gone after they are.
Someone mentioned already how tragic it is, the low level of knowledge and appreciation among students today for what these veterans did. Their views are coloured by media, politicized arguments, games and a general apathy to anything serious regarding the past. That is youth though...always has been. Hopefully a culture of remembrance and appreciation develops unique to the coming generations who will still have the stories of the 1st and 2nd World Wars to learn from in their own way. Thats why Remembrance Day is important, it's the one time war and the sacrifice of body, mind and spirit is recognized for what it is, horrific.
Then we can go back to video games and movies and pretty much enjoying the spectacle of war from our safe places and not think about the emotional part again for another year.

Upvote 0
Officially in Canada, we only have 3 WW1 veterans still alive, two men and one woman. Two are 107 and one is 105.
Most WW2 veterans are in their 80's. In Canada the National War museum is underataking the Memory Project, gathering in the veteran's own words their stories and lives and memorobilia so that what they experienced won't all be gone after they are.
Someone mentioned already how tragic it is, the low level of knowledge and appreciation among students today for what these veterans did. Their views are coloured by media, politicized arguments, games and a general apathy to anything serious regarding the past. That is youth though...always has been. Hopefully a culture of remembrance and appreciation develops unique to the coming generations who will still have the stories of the 1st and 2nd World Wars to learn from in their own way. Thats why Remembrance Day is important, it's the one time war and the sacrifice of body, mind and spirit is recognized for what it is, horrific.
Then we can go back to video games and movies and pretty much enjoying the spectacle of war from our safe places and not think about the emotional part again for another year.

*Gives slyder "Best post of the Year" award*

Upvote 0
A few points (being as picky as ever):

1. It isn't just Canadian Rememberance Day - it is certainly across the Commonwealth, if not even wide.
2. The minute's silence is traditionally held at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month - the moment of the cease-fire in 1918.
3. Usually noted in LOCAL time.
4. It was indeed instigated after the Great War as it was the "war to end all wars". As it singularly failed in that aim, we now use Rememberance Day to remember all those who took part in all the wars of the 20th Century - and now those of the 21st.

On a purely personal basis, I choose to remember my father (gunner, heavy artillery, invalided out in 1940) and his brother (tankie, made it through the whole show). I also remember my grandfather (RNAS, RN Division, then RTR) who made it through and his elder brother, who is buried at Ypres. There are also a whole bunch of my family buried as far afield as Tehran (1919) and those who were never found, who are now listed on the Thiepval Memorial and at Chemin des Dames.

no wonder you are a historian, with a family so close coneted to "war" and history !
:eek:

Upvote 0
sadley the vetrens are leaving us, and many of the young people these days live in ignorance. they absolutely dont care that people fought and died for them, frikken imbusiles. im seriously starting to wonder why most children go to school these days, their so stoopid, you wonder if they have caulking in their ears. i had a guy in class tell me he was gonna skip the remeberance day ceremony at school and i asked him why, his responce what that he dident give a shat, i kinda ripped into him and asked him why he couldent respect people who died for him for 1 minute, he was just kinda dumbfounded sitting there going uhhhh well ...
Well war is not about fighting nor about dieing for your children or your future grand children. Maybe politicians or people in the army try to make you think of that, but it's not true.
Simply because both sides tell that **** to their soldiers. Who's right?
If none would fight there would not be a need to fight for 'someone/something' in the first place ...

It's sad that we don't have something - remembering the victims of war - like that here at such a scale.

On another note: 'Britain's Last Tommies' is a great book about the few remaining british veterans of the Great War. Really an interesting read, reminds you that people are mostly the same (in their ways of thinking etc.). No matter what time or country they are from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0