• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Speed up bolting?

Speed up bolting?

• Good Idea

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Magical Brownies?

Votes: 24 23.1%

• Total voters

[CiA]Stiletto

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
IMO, cycling the bolt-actions needs to be a bit faster. IRL, I can cycle almost twice as fast as the guy in game on a Mosin, even on my M44 using fabled-to-be-sticky lacquered ammo. I don't have a K98 so I can't really compare my cycle time on Mausers to the speed in game, but I can certainly cycle an M48 or Steyr 1912 a lot faster than the in-game too.

It's like RO's all tense and stuff, until you try to work the bolt...and then the guy's all "ho hum, look at the pretty tracers" about it.

In real life you are probably a bit more focused on getting that next shot off so you arn't really paying attention to how long it takes you to bolt another round. For us shooters it is just an automatic thing we do and we don't even think about it. However in game the gun is right in your face and you sometimes take notice of the bolting, however I've been in firefights where I don't even notice that I'm doing it, it just seems fast. It's all just a matter of perception.

Upvote 0
Even if bolting is somewhat slow, accelerating it without adding some sort of a penalty to the bolt action rifles (like more sway with signts getting unaligned) will make machineguns and automatic weapons in general extremely volnurable at medium-long ranges.
I dunno, longer ranges, most of my time is spent aiming and acquiring the next target. Faster bolting would help make me feel a little less helpless in CQB, though. I guess that's more a factor of the movement/melee system than cycle time, though.

See video : I could've fired the second shot quite a bit faster, but I was too busy aiming.

Upvote 0
ppl can shoot waaay much faster than in RO... loads of people can shoot 14-18 rounds at approx 25 sec with a boltaction rifle with 5 round magazine and hit with all at 200 meters ;)
Il see if i can upload a movie...

Hans Kristian Wear fiered 16 + 16 rounds at LS2006 that was at 25 sec..
(eventhough he only gor 12+16 hits.. its still really good at such small targets...
you can check it out youreself at www.dfs.no if ya dont beleave me. (or i could figure out how to ripp a clip from a dvd so i could upload it...)

Myself i do 10-13 rounds at 25 sec.. thats approx 1,85 sec at each round not included reloading...
so imo the reloading time at RO is sloow..

But back to topic..

speeding up loading should be someting for soliders who lies down...ONLY...

Upvote 0
I dunno, longer ranges, most of my time is spent aiming and acquiring the next target. Faster bolting would help make me feel a little less helpless in CQB, though. I guess that's more a factor of the movement/melee system than cycle time, though.

See video : I could've fired the second shot quite a bit faster, but I was too busy aiming.

Confucius says: Rifle with scope is like bicycle with training wheels:p;)

Upvote 0
I get the impression that bolting speeds vary very slightly from one bolt to the next. Could be perception though.

Maybe have it randomly give you faster bolting sometimes and slower the next. After all, no human bolts at the exact same speed everytime do they?

On a side note, when in practice mode, type slomo .2 (in console) and bolt to see the animation is super slow motion :) Tis a beautiful ting.

Upvote 0
Confucius says: Rifle with scope is like bicycle with training wheels:p;)
I haven't quite gotten used to the scout scope yet, actually. I acquire significantly faster (for now, anyway) with irons.

Also, most people I know take longer to bolt from prone. :confused: It's awkward as hell, because you have to twist your body around to be able to cam the action open and cycle, wheraas your upper body is free to shift around to do so from standing and kneeling positions.

Upvote 0
Also, most people I know take longer to bolt from prone. :confused: It's awkward as hell, because you have to twist your body around to be able to cam the action open and cycle, wheraas your upper body is free to shift around to do so from standing and kneeling positions.
From what i know... When you are going to shoot fast from Prone.. then you use ure arm... whats up with the twisting the body? it only gets ure aim away from the target, = slower RPM because you have to re aim on youre target..

but when fast bolting from standing posision.. do you hit a target at 20x20 cm at 100 m?

Upvote 0