• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High ping, and the whiners

snakedude24

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006
Well, I was playing on a French server today for all of 10 minutes, and I racked up this sexy score.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177/snakedude24/SCOREHIGHPING.jpg

My point is, even with a ping twice as high as the next best players, I still did very well.

I write this because every single day I invariably hear the same excuse - "Your ping is lower than mine."

I check, and it's something like 88 ping vs. 72.

This isn't about pings in general, it's about the way we play the game.

Please, stop whining people. Don't whine about server rules, how much "this mAp sux," or how that was a totally B.S. hipshot.

No. One. Cares.

EDIT - Yes, this sounds angry, because I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a bunch of 2 year olds.

Secondary EDIT - I don't know why the Russian side didn't get included in the shot. Hmmm....

Oh boy guys, 43 points on koenigsplatz. What's your point.

People shouldn't really need an excuse, and generally speaking nobody cares about your score, so maybe if you didn't shove it in their face, you wouldn't get a "whine".

While you may call them two year olds, you are heading down to their level by getting ANGRY over what they say. If you were as mature as you say, you'd just ignore it.

Upvote 0
You can blame some of your problems on ping if you have upwards of 200 ping, other than that I think most problems are user error. Although that may not apply as much with tanks.

132 ping isn't horrible. I did well on a Russian server (number 1 on my team) and my ping was something like 180 or 190 on average. Ping isn't something to blame, and I think sometimes people take score too seriously. A lot of the people that end up being number one just supplied the MG several times and were in the right capzones at the right times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My ping is-1134, with it I can go into the future and kill them before they realize they're dead. I've never (for as long as I've been playing online games) Understood WTH is with these whiners and why do they even bother to play online games? Yes, yes Whiner, everyone except you "the uberLeet whiner" is a cheater and is hacking because the Uberleet whiner is unbeatable and the best player in the world of all time. Anyone who beats Uberleet Whiner is a cheat as It's IMMPOSSIBLE to beat Uberleet Whiner this is a fact! I'm sure they'll all grow up to be awesome adults who blame and accuse everyone but themselves for the fact they **** at everything.

Upvote 0
My theory is that Players bought RO, expected another Counter Strike/BF2 to enjoy and own in, and then find out the game is completly different, and they are horrible at it, and have nothing better to do then to be envious of the better, more thoughtful players, and get frustrated that they wasted $25 on a game they they thought was a Generic shooter.

Upvote 0
Well it is harder to play with 200 ping than with 50 of course, but I don't see the reason to point out the obvious to someone who's got higher score. I mean, it's not like he's gonna be able to do anything about it. "Oh, sorry I didn't realize your ping... have some of my score!"

Really annoying when you get high ping though. I got about 200 ping on the Iron Crescendo server, and I had been looking forward to that tournament for a really long time. I even had the entire weekend free so I could play both matches, just to find out that my ping makes the game unplayable on the server...

Sorry, just had to take the oppertunity to moan about it. :p

Upvote 0
Okay, here's a different way of looking at it: consider a high ping as having some sort of natural soldier's advantage. Think about it- some guys are faster, some are slower, some are stronger, some are smarter. Consider that someone in-game with a fast ping is just one of those guys, and react accordingly.

IT"S NOT ABOUT THE PING. It's all about what you DO with the ping.

If you have a usually slower ping, you have a choice: play with people of similar ping times and be an equal, or jump in anywhere and use your skills to overcome whatever ping issues you have. My usual ping runs between 100-130 most nights; if it's above 170 on a particular server I just don't go there unless it's a really good fight going on and I'm holding my own. You experienced ping-watchers know that you can tell within a few minutes how your game performance is going to be; pick your battles.

So, in short, really RO is much more about skill than who's got the faster ping. It makes SOME difference, but not so much as to totally skew a game. No more ping-envy, okay?

Upvote 0
Well it is harder to play with 200 ping than with 50 of course, but I don't see the reason to point out the obvious to someone who's got higher score. I mean, it's not like he's gonna be able to do anything about it. "Oh, sorry I didn't realize your ping... have some of my score!"

Really annoying when you get high ping though.
Yeah it does **** when you have a 200 ping (especially on an infantry map where every millisecond of reaction counts). But you join the server KNOWING that! So you can say stuff like "my pings pretty high so that's why I ain't doing too well" But that's NO reason to cry when people with lower pings kill you. Like you said "Oh here take some of my score, so sorry for the inconvenience, I'll try to let you kill me easier" I don't join a server when I'm pinging 200 then once I'm on it start crying! I join another server with a lower ping! And also crying about guys with lower pings (even though your ping isn't bad itself) is just supreme Whining at it's finest. Anything below around 160 is acceptable to me for infantry maps. With tank maps I'll play with as high as 230(ish) ping.

Upvote 0
I get a ping anywhere from 130-180 with high packet loss. It ****s.

The ping's playable, but packet loss is a *****. :/

I've played in high packet loss situations. Brieflly. Leads to amusing situations like clearing a room only to find yourself POOF, back outside again..getting shot by someone who ran past you a few seconds ago, except now they're in FRONT of you..bleh.

Upvote 0
What, someone actually cares about personal points? :D Remember, there's no "I" in team.

The players who tend to have the highest scores also tend to be the most team oriented players. All that supporting, capping and being able to "lead" by voice enough others to support you is what gets those high scores.
So good score, good job. Score is'nt all about kills. In fact, kills often don't mean as much as being present in a cap point and even ignoring the enemy until the cap is done. And ping doesn't matter so much to these players, as the primary concern is the objective, defending or offending.

Upvote 0