• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hip Shooting BOGUS

Overall I think this game models guns pretty good, but there could be some improvement made. I haven't played this game very long time, but I noticed that first round is allways going pretty straight no matter if you are shooting from hip or through sights. This should not be like that, there is allways heavy breathing factor involved when hip shooting and shooting after moving. First shot should not be so accurate. I think this game only calculates recoil not breathing after running?

Army is allways teaching aimed shooting, but I guess with practice you could learn point shooting also. There are many people who practise pointshooting and it is possible to be quite accurate when shooting from hip http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting

I think there is too much recoil in submachine guns, it should be made easier to prevent recoil. I have been shooting with Suomi-submachine gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_M-31_SMG) in army and it is very easy to empty drum and keeping gun within target and hold back recoil, but shot deviation is great at distances over 100 m or even over 50 m. Though maybe I am not good playing these games, but it feels quite awkward pressing mouse down so much, which in real life is quite natural when shooting with submachine gun. Recoil control should be somewhat easier in this game.

Upvote 0
It's incredibly hard to hip-shoot a MG-34, but time and time again after practicing on Danzig. I succeeded by doing so, everytime I play on Danzig I'll either manage to find an MG-34 or be one, with that said, I always charge into builds with my MG-34 ready to hip-shoot and I managed to flush out Russians without getting hit at all.

Upvote 0
Yes and No. While some players can in a way "beat the system" of freeaim by learning how to position the gun correctly, it is by no means as easy as if the gun were perfectly centred on the screen.

I think if hip accuracy were decreased any further we'd end up with people going into ironsights within 2 feet of each other just to be able to successfully hit each other. Just my humble opinion on the matter.

I agree.

With a rifle it is a *****, at about 10ft i know I can still hit somone with my .30-30 by hipshooting. After about 10ft it's a crapshoot for me.

Shotguns and SMG's are easy to hipshoot. shotgun is cause... well it's a shotgun!!!! and smg cause if the first one doesn't hit you can walk it decently to where you need it. (note nothing past 40yrds)

Upvote 0
I'm gonna have to pull out my statement from waaaayyy back in March.

If you are getting gunned down by a hip shooter at midrange you are doing something wrong. IRL you would NEVER let yourself get caught in a position where you didnt have cover and/or covering fire, and if you did, you sure as hell would know you were taking a HUGE risk.

Needless to say that hipshooting is not Quite as bad as some posts make it out to be.

Upvote 0
I think RO lacks point shooting as someone mentioned here:
WIkipedia gives a few pointers on this:

For rifle:
"Aimed quick fire:"
When presented with a target, the soldier brings the rifle up to his shoulder and quickly fires a single shot. His firing eye looks through or just over the rear sight aperture. And he uses the front post to aim at the target. Using this technique, a target at 25 meters or less may be accurately engaged in one second or less.

"Pointer quick fire:"
When presented with a target, the soldier keeps the rifle at his side and quickly fires a single shot or burst. He keeps both eyes open and uses his instinct and peripheral vision to line up the rifle with the target. Using this technique, a target at 15 meters or less may be engaged in less than one second.

"Pointed and aimed quick fire should be used only when a target cannot be engaged fast enough using the sights in a normal manner. These techniques should be limited to targets appearing at 25 meters or less."

Hip shooting is a bit different from point shooting in that, pointshooting, u press the buttstock towards ur shoulders.... while Hip shooting you will lack proper referanceopoint for shooting, and also handling recoil should be REALLY difficult as there is nothing to abosorb the recoil, as compared when u press the weapon towards your shoulder....

So Please! can we have point shooting?
Roll mouse wheel up = raise weapon to point shoot
Roll mouse wheel down = lower ot hip
Right click = aimed shot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think RO lacks point shooting as someone mentioned here:
WIkipedia gives a few pointers on this:

Hip shooting is a bit different from point shooting in that, pointshooting, u press the buttstock towards ur shoulders.... while Hip shooting you will lack proper referanceopoint for shooting, and also handling recoil should be REALLY difficult as there is nothing to abosorb the recoil, as compared when u press the weapon towards your shoulder....

Hip shooting = point shooting. Point shooting means that you point target with your gun and not look through sights like with aimed shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fmfrp_12_80_p183.png

Upvote 0
Hip shooting = point shooting. Point shooting means that you point target with your gun and not look through sights like with aimed shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fmfrp_12_80_p183.png

I understand what point shooting is. I trained to do it and trained others to do it. It isn't something that was a common technique in WW2. Either way, what we have in RO is hip shooting. Again what I'd like to stress is hip shooting WHILE moving is too accurate here. If you need an example and have access to a firearm and range, try it. Hold the weapon at your hip and just walk while trying to hit a human sillouette at just 25 meters. I don't have a problem with hip shooting in general, just that it is a little too consistent in RO when you are moving and firing.

Sorry for not keeping up with my own thread very well. Work keeps me busy. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0