• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Could RO do better with hit effects on tarrian?

Gunwing

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
I got to thinking about the Unreal 2.0 engine and took note how toned down the bullet hit effects are in RO. I know this was done for a reason but bullets should leave some impact effects that make me wan't to hide from them. Right now you get that nice shake if a bullet zooms by your head. but the effect of the bullet on the wall behind you should make the others next to you notice and take cover with you.

Right now the bullet hit effects are realy lacking in the looks department. I mean this game could do so much better than this with the added HDR and Unreals particle effects this game could realy make you wan't to pull that trigger just to see what it dose to the wall.

Plus it would make MGs much more scary if they made some big time splashes of dirt and dust on walls and the ground.

It dose not have to be like what you see in COD or anything that would chew up CPU time. Just somthing a little more worthy of a WW2 game like this and somthing that shows this engine still has what it takes to look good.

Anything that gives more atmosphere in the game is good.... Having a nearby wall obliterated with dust from MG bullets would sure make me duck!

I suppose at the end of the day it is a trade off, getting the important bits in the game, as opposed to the nice to haves....

I dread to think of the server load trying to work out all the data for every bullet along with all of the debris the bullets kick up.... Some programming guru might be able to point out if this was possible?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I wonder if this would be handled client or server-side?

The server has to determine where the bullet lands, but wouldn't the client computer put the actual graphics up for it?

If it is a client-side option, I am all for it.

However, servers don't need any more load than they already have, so if it was implemented server-side, I would have to give this 4 thumbs down.

Upvote 0
Adding somthing like this shouldn't cause much problems unless your PC is limping enough as it is.

Now if I'm wrong please correct me (Most of my Unreal Ed experience comes from UEd 1.0), but I believe that the effect is mostly just a tranparent texture that pops up when a bullet hit is registered, and depending on the texture it hits, it had different textures that pop up, so one looks like a bullet hitting wood, stone, or dirt.

If that small texture was increased to say, twice its current size, it still shouldn't be a large enough texture file to cause any noticable slowdowns.

Now since most of my experiance is with UEd 1.0 some things might have changed, like having overlapping textures or a mesh effect, but I still dont think a bullet hole effect is large enough to cause serious slowdowns.

If this would cause peoblems, we could be given the ability to change it graphically in the options, so you can choose no bullet effects, low (like the effects right now), or high with the effect with increased size.

Along with bullet effects being larger, I would also like to see the tank round hitting effect also become much larger than it is now.

Upvote 0
If you talk to real military soldiers even today they all say when the bullets start to fly so dose the dust and rocks. I mean even if it is over done in hollywood movies it still is there in real life and in a game like RO where you are supposed to take cover and shoot from cover it would add to that by player going: "OH CRAP!" "I need to get to cover fast or I'm dead meat!"

Look at games like BF2142 albet a fantcey archade game but still in that game when the bullets fly you can't see half the time. So you run and hide for cover till the shooting stops then pop up and kill the punk who thought he could get you. It adds to the chaos of battle that makes the player feel he/she is in a realistic envierment.

On top of that ROs main selling point is that it is more realistic than other WW2 shooters and is supposed to be better in some way. So this could be one way it is better by haveing realistic but still chaotic battle for both infantry and tanks. As it stands right now I see no reason to hid from cover.

Upvote 0