• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint Thread.

I just installed the Operation Flashpoint after I saw the FFUR2006 pack. As a newbie, I have questions. Is there something like a "Official FFUR2006 single player campaign"? Or single missions for that pack? I'm not used to OFP editor so, making my own missions is not an option.

Upvote 0
Is anyone playing the WGL 5.1 mod? I wanted to check it out but it doesn't work... :confused:
Everything is installed properly but it seems like OFP isn't loading up the mod. Though the main menu has changed, there are no new models/skins/effects etc.
Do you have to play certain missions for it to work? I tried the "Steal the car" mission since it's fairly easy but it looks and plays like vanilla OFP. Any hints?

Upvote 0
I tried the F.F.U.R. 2006 mod now. It replaces the weapons with modern counterparts. Well, who cares? The important point about this change is, that the new weapons look much better than the old ones and the have actually pretty sight pictures. They seem to have pictures of the model as a sight which is infinitly better to look at than those black sillouette sights in Flashpoint.
Also the recoil of the weapons feels more realistic. In Flashpoint the weapon tend to have little to no recoil and using the burst function almost feels like cheating. :D With ffur you actually get a bit of recoil.
Also the mod seems to improve those sluggish mousecontrols somehow because if I play with the mod, the crosshair moves much smoother than without it!
I hereby recommend this mod for it looks good and makes the game appear smoother (can

Upvote 0
I tried the F.F.U.R. 2006 mod now.
I just grabbed this the other day, and I really like it. I like the new soldier models, though I've seen better (laser's Delta Force models). The new animations are fantastic, and like you said, the iron sights are much better.

My only problem is the way the gun is held. It's held really strangely. Too far forward, makes it look weird, but I can get past that.

I didn't experience any slowdowns really. I did get some every now and then (fps would drop from 70 to like 8 for maybe 15 seconds), but it would be fine after a little bit.

WGL 5.1, I never tried it because it didn't change anything visually.

I did, however, try the Liberation 1941-1945 mod. It's pretty good, but leaves a lot to be desired in the art departments. Animations, graphics, etc are just okay. The gun models and skins are beautiful, but the ironsights look cheesy and just plain bad. But it's really fun. I'd rather play the FDF WWII mod though.

Upvote 0
WGL 5.1, I never tried it because it didn't change anything visually.

You can get model replacement packs for WGL that make it more visually appealing.

Aside from that, WGL 5.1 has, without question, the absolute best multiplayer gameplay of any Flashpoint mod ever released. There's a reason my group switched to it and has been playing it exclusively since we discovered it. Nothing else comes close.

Also, WGL 5.1 has some of the most realistic explosion and smoke effects I've ever seen in a game. It isn't a Hollywood over-the-top-visuals mod like FFUR, but it makes up for that in sheer realism and absolutely unmatched gameplay.

Missing out on WGL 5.1 because you don't think it's as pretty as FFUR or whatever is really missing the point.

Upvote 0
Good point.

Could you elaborate on why it's so great in multiplayer? Just curious!
Sure. First, you might want to read some of my Wargames League after-action reports on my site. Start with the oldest WGL one and work your way to the latest one (Dark Business).
http://dslyecxi.com/shackstuff.html

Here are a few things WGL 5.1 does differently from other mods:
1. Weapon accuracy is more realistic. You have more sight sway when standing/crouched, the recoil is heavier, and the 'zoom' is lessened.
2. Medics and the damage model are much improved. People can bleed after being hit, they'll get temporary paralysis after being shot, they'll leave blood trails on the ground, they'll black in and out of consciousness when heavily wounded/bleeding, and you can bleed to death. Bandages are introduced - not everyone has them, but they can be used to attempt to stop bleeding. They aren't always successful. One very important thing is that players do not die as rapidly as in OFP vanilla - being shot once doesn't instantly zap you out of existence, unless it's a headshot. This makes gameplay in general MUCH more enjoyable than in normal mods.
3. Rucksacks. This allows for increased inventory - you can have a rucksack that carries extra magazines, grenades, bandages, etc etc, and pull out that extra equipment when you're running low.
4. No death messages, no scoreboard during a mission. This encourages teamwork and good communications. You won't instantly know that you killed an enemy, or that a friend just got shot. You have to pay attention and talk to your teammates to keep track of what's happening.
5. Coordination is improved due to the inclusion of group- and unit-tracking systems. With this, you can have map markers follow the group leader as long as they have a radio with them. If they lose their radio, they'll lose contact with the other groups, and will have to reacquire the radio to get updated map marker positions. This can be used in some pretty creative ways in missions, but I don't have time at the moment to give you examples of how exactly.
6. Better armor model. Tanks are more survivable, infantry AT is less effective, and so on.
7. Better AI. The AI will engage you from a longer range, but is NOT laser-accurate. Firefights last muuuch longer and are far more intense.

...and so on and so forth. Those are the basic points but there is a hell of a lot more to it (like the mortar system, improvements to the helos, etc).

Upvote 0
Multiplayer helo co-op

Multiplayer helo co-op

Does anyone know of any multiplayer helicopter 2 player attack missions similar to the Ground Attack missions? A friend and I would love to fly one of these together with one of us gunning and one of us flying. Really any multiplayer mission where we can use a 2 player helicopter would be cool.

Also when I'm hosting my own server, does anyone know how to figure out how to change the name of the server when you make it (so that I could tell my friend which server I'm in)?

Upvote 0
Which communities play realistic, fun co-op missions in OFP fairly regularly?

CiA, Zeus.. those are the two big public ones.

My group, Shack Tactical, is a bit more private than either of them. You have to submit an application to join us, and because of that, the quality of our members is pretty high on average.

If you'd like to read more and see screens/videos from our sessions, you can find a lot of info here:
http://dslyecxi.com/shacktac.html
I just revamped that page and added a ton of links to screens/vids, and there are several videos from sessions we had this month.

Upvote 0
Just re-installed the GOTY edition and dl'd Berghoffs nature pack 3 (nordic), but where do i put the PBO file? and is it only certain islands? Or is there a nature pack that replaces all the default islands?

cheers

Edit: also the windows cursor seems to appear (as well as the ingame one) when i start the game, i can get rid of it by alt-tabbing but is there any other way to get around it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0