• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Panther reload + Sch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sichartshofen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
13 seconds is too long for the type of gun the Panther has. The 75mm KwK42 L70 was semi-automatic. After the gun fired the empty shell casing was automatically ejected and the breech remained up so that the next round could be loaded. When the round was loaded the breech automatically closed. Technically the Panther could fire 20 rounds a minute. I propose the reload time be decreased to 7 seconds. It would not take 13 seconds for the loader to insert a 18 pound shell with no other action being necessary.

Sch

Last edited:
This is true! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kw.K.42

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kw.K.42
The gun was fired electrically, meaning that the primer was initiated using electric current rather than a firing pin. The breech operated semi-automatically so that after the gun had fired the empty shell casing was automatically ejected and the falling wedge type breech block remained up so that the next round could be shoved in. When the round was loaded the breech closed automatically and the weapon was ready to be fired again. Three different types of ammunition were used: APCBC-HE, APCR and HE. The ammunition was fixed.

Also, it is believed that the Panther's gun was just as strong as the Tiger I.

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank
The flat trajectory also made hitting targets much easier, since aiming was less sensitive to range. The 75 mm gun actually had more penetrating power than the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 gun, although not of the 88 mm KwK 43 L/71.

I would also like to see more Panther tanks then Tiger tanks on some tank maps like Arad.

Upvote 0
This is a very old discussion :) Reload times are based on an average, depending on where the rounds were stored - re-loads from ready-racks being much quicker, re-loads from the bins down in the hull much longer. One of the aims is to model all the different ammo storage areas at some point, in order to give all those choices.

Upvote 0
The Panther had a complex system of removal of powder gases.
1. A purge of a barrel the compressed air.
2. Emission of a shell casing and its accommodation in a special case. The case had compulsory ventilation.
The size of a case and how many shell casing there could be simultaneously? I do not know.
In the right board there is a small round hatch. On the size it corresponds to a shell. It can be simple they were thrown out outside?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK.
When you consider the size of a one piece munition and the fact that a tank carries a large number of them, it stands to reason that some will be "ready rounds" while others will be stored in more difficult to get at places. What normally happens is that a tank will be at 'action' and will use its ready rounds. During a lull in battle the crew will move to a safer location, traverse off and restow their ammunition so that again the ready round locations are restocked.
The small hatch is for the disposal and restocking of ammo. A very necessary item. When you consider the size of a brass case, it only takes a few before the floor becomes hazardous for the loader/operator. Thats to say nothing of the possibility of empty cases being caught in the "traverse monster" as we used to call it.
I do hope that this doesn't become one of those threads where peeps say that the game will not be playable unless the latest iteration of the tank they prefer is modeled complete with all necessary applique armour and upgrades and with loading times based on an elite crew working in ideal conditions.
They normally follow this point up with "make the opposition tanks slower, less armoured and preferably crewed by country bumkins" :D :D :D

Upvote 0
IS2 times were modeled on the fact that it uses 2 piece ammunition (propellant+projectile), which apparently slows it down.
Challenger 2 uses 2 piece ammunition but suffers no such penalty as the 2 piece ammo means that its far easier for a loader to handle......
The remark about turret size I don't 'get' .Just because a tank has a large outer turret, doesn't mean that its correspondingly capacious on the inside. You also have to account for additional equipment and stowage. Plus longer and larger projectiles.

Upvote 0
and it depends on the shell you use as well. Can rember someone said that with a Panzergr 40 (or so, im not sure about the name), from the panther you have a better penetration then with the 88mm. But dont quote me on that, as im not that used with shells. Mainly i know, that germans did used a lot of different kind of shells, specialy for there modern tanks like panther and tiger.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.