• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG stands

In RO you can deploy your machinegun on a handrail, this wouldn't work with a bipod, but with resting the barel itself on it. So basicly your only disadvantage is currently that you can't "choose" between the height with or without the bipod, but imho thats not really a problem because it simplifies the gameplay a bit and applys to everyone (including other classes).

Upvote 0
Nifel said:
The OP is correct, you can rest the MG42 on objects without using the bipod. Windowpanes, sandbags, gravel, even snow (but it is not recommended...). Sandbags will NOT catch on fire, it won't be hot enough for that. Remember the barrel is "floating" inside the framework which provides cooling and it will not be in direct contact with the sack.

I have used the MG3 like that, and never had a problem with heat or rest. Sandbags can, in many circumstances, provide far better support than the bipod, and give the operator far better protection.

When the bipod is firmly stuck into dirt though, it gives excellent support and you can squeeze your shoulder firmly against the stock, you will get alot less recoil. Unless you pack those sandbags really tight around the barrel of the MG, that is.

i agree too, you can do all kinds of stuff with a MG, doubtfull is just the effect you produce when not used as intend.

mean, you can even open beer botles with it.

Upvote 0
Letum said:
Who says the stand is intended to be used when not prone?

Sure, you can use the stand when not prone, but the extra hight it gives seams like to bigger disadvantage to me.

you dont seem to understand that the bipod isnt there to give you extra height, it may be helpfull while you prone to have that sideeffect.
the idea of the bipod is to have something to press into, mean like work against the recoil before its there.

when you wont use a bipod or something that hinders the gun from moving forward you cant press into the gun, unless its firing. and then its a lausy thing cause it goes back and forth, up and down and sidewards and all of it together.

see, you can do with your gun what you want, i dont argue with that logic. but i like to mention that the bipod isnt there just because it was a funny thing to add.

Upvote 0
i agree too, you can do all kinds of stuff with a MG, doubtfull is just the effect you produce when not used as intend.

mean, you can even open beer botles with it.

Indeed you can, and 9 out of 10 times the bipod will be the best choice. The only viable options, barring the bipod, would be arranging the barrel on sandbags or pinning it in rubble, splintered wood, cracks in a wall or suchlike.

Opening beer bottles is fun, though I did have done that by firing at them. And then it wasn't really bottles, just cans. With Coke. :p

the idea of the bipod is to have something to press into, mean like work against the recoil before its there.
Exactly. Though I think it's hard to imagine how much the bipod helps unless you have fired it.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of instances where an mg34 and mg42 would have been used without the bipod, for example, temporary anti-aircraft role - you'd see the gunner placing the barrel on the shoulder of a fellow soldier or in a field of long grass where proning with a bipod isnt an option you would see the shoulder in use again to take pot shots at the enemy at a considerable range.

Bipods are for stability, balance and to help allow the gunner press his weight into the gun to lessen the recoil. A tripod is a big step up from the bipod and increases the effective range of the mg42 for example to 3000-4000 metres. look up mg42 on youtube for videos.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of instances where an mg34 and mg42 would have been used without the bipod, for example, temporary anti-aircraft role - you'd see the gunner placing the barrel on the shoulder of a fellow soldier or in a field of long grass where proning with a bipod isnt an option you would see the shoulder in use again to take pot shots at the enemy at a considerable range.
lol
For that the bipod is used as well!
The person with the MG on his shoulders takes the bipod with his arms. He is standing, while the person shooting can lower his body to shoot at targets that are in the air.
In all situations you named the guy with the weapon on his shoulders places his hands on the bipod to stabilize the weapon.
Have fun if you try it without!

Upvote 0
lol
For that the bipod is used as well!
The person with the MG on his shoulders takes the bipod with his arms. He is standing, while the person shooting can lower his body to shoot at targets that are in the air.
In all situations you named the guy with the weapon on his shoulders places his hands on the bipod to stabilize the weapon.
Have fun if you try it without!

lol! no it wasnt always used lol!

Upvote 0
I doubt that he fired real rounds. Look at the recoil. --> the MG42 is recoil operated!
I fired a modified MG42 (Austrian MG74) and you have recoil, in the video you don't have.
The point of the bipod for me was to lower the recoil. The bipod is very stable, so we pressed our body against it. We pressed our body so hard against it that a person could stand on (!) the MG.
I doubt that you can controll the recoil good if you don't use the bipod.

I would think he did fire real rounds. Just 1/2 the videos you see of people shooting the MG42 is by some 130 pound dork who would have troubles picking the gun up.

Upvote 0
I was reading a book by an American paratrooper where he was saying he was firing the platoons .30cal without isng the tripod, and he was simpyl resting it on a stone his buddy had given him. He held the barrel down with one hand, and fired with the other. He then cursed the bastard who lost the tripod because the MG was almost uncontrolable and could only be used to fire very wide spreads. So I can only imagine that with the MG42 it would be even worse.

Upvote 0
Wint-O-Green said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpsJo...elated&search=

^ A video of a man firing an MG-42 with live ammunition. ^

yes, i feel pretty sorry about that man. if the boy wished to have a MG he should have read the manual, i mean not only read it. there a few years going by before a boy becomes a man, enugh time to spell the manual backwards.

there is no shooting from shooting tables intended. you can never press hard enugh into the bipod as you need to, from a seating position. he didnt even fix the bipod from moving.

sad...

Upvote 0
I get what you're at. Perhaps what we need is some way for the game to determine if we're resting the MG on a 'large area' surface, where we could use the bipod, or if we're 'resting' the MG, like on a handrail or narrow wall. It would require probably an extra property for the objects and a different animation, perhaps with the bipod swinging or moving while firing (it's some kind of pivot joint right?). It would be more for the immersion effect than anything else. If you start talking about different options for 'deploying' the MG, chosen by the user, that's really getting into a cost-benefit situation again. It would take a lot of manpower to do that, and really wouldn't benefit many people. MG 'stances' would be something more productive to work on (and probably easier) that allow you to lower your profile somehow.

Upvote 0