• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slowing down exit from Tanks (merged)

We've all snuck up behind a tank, only to have the driver pop out instantaniously and spray us down before we can even react...

We've all been driving a tank, and had a Clowncar blow by behind us, had the driver jump out, drop a satchel, and get back in before we can get the turret around...

Both of these situations are "gamey" and it's been suggested that a delay be added when entering and exiting a vehicle. While in an ideal world, we'd have animation showing your avatar opening the hatch, climbing out, and jumping down... I realize this is a royal pain to code and model within the limitations set by the UT engine.

What I'd like to suggest is a simple compromise that involves NO additional art resources and which I would imagine shouldn't be too hard to code:

Only allow exit from a vehicle when the hatch is open. If you're in the gunsite or zoomed in driver view, you have to mousewheel scroll back to open hatches before you can hit use to jump out.

This causes a (small) delay while the already existing hatch open animation runs. It also has the affect of giving warning to people outside that you're exiting the tank (ie they see the hatch open).

This adds the desirable effect of making tanks more dependent on supporting infantry, without swinging the pendulum as far as a full delay and animation would. (which in my opinion would neccesitate limiting the number of satchels and panzerfausts that can be carried to more realistic levels)

Regarding the last paragraph, I think it would just make the tankers etc have to act in a more realistic manner, being more careful, holding behind infantry screen and make a little less of the driving in recklessly.

Agreed! There should be a delay, (accompanied by a short animation of the soldier climbing out perhaps), to end the "teleporting" out instantly. I also think that there should be the same delay or animation when moving from one seat to another in the vehicles. We have too many solo tankers in the first place, let alone having them teleport from seat to seat, or from wide view F4 in seat 3 etc in the halftrack to instantly in the gunner seat.

Upvote 0
There should be a delay in exiting the vehicle, even if the hatches are open or not. In a perfect world, the fact that the hatches were already open would lessen that delay. Note that Armored car window shutters should not be considered hatches in this case, as the person does not exit via the window.

The delay should be thus (for both exiting and entering the vehicle). Hit the key to exit (or enter) the vehicle. A "Exiting (or Entering) Vehicle" message would come up for a few seconds, during which time the player could take NO ACTION. At the end of the wait, the player "appears" outside (or inside) the vehicle as normal.

Later, TWI can add the artwork and animation to achieve this effect.

I like the hatches idea, but only as a modifier to the above. In and of itself, it is not enough of a deterrant.

Upvote 0
I'm all for exit/entering delays for vehicles..

how thats achieved, doesnt really matter to me.. of course an animation would be nice, but not totally necessary.

If I happen to shoot a Faust into the side of a tank and it doesnt blow up.. it'd be nice if I wasnt miraculously attacked by the magically appearing and disappearing man. Maybe then I could finish the job in peace :D

anjuzi1ac4.gif
DIE TANKERS!
anjuzi2lr4.gif

Upvote 0
I'm all for exit/entering delays for vehicles..

how thats achieved, doesnt really matter to me.. of course an animation would be nice, but not totally necessary.

If I happen to shoot a Faust into the side of a tank and it doesnt blow up.. it'd be nice if I wasnt miraculously attacked by the magically appearing and disappearing man. Maybe then I could finish the job in peace :D

I totally agree with this.

Last night I snuck up on a tank with satchel (already armed). Well the solo-gunner must have seen me outta the corner of his eye. So he suddenly appeared right in front of me. All I could do was chunk the satchel and try to switch to my gun. He had chased me down and shot me all up before I could even switch to my PPSh.

You should NOT be able to exit a tank faster than infantry can swich weapons.

IMHO this is the biggest problem with tanking in RO at the moment.

Solution = Delay +/- animation

Upvote 0
yeah I thought of the exit only when your "unbuttoned". as a fairly simple delay, though as said before the MG gunner is a bit of a problem...

for German tanks like the Pz-4, Panther and Tiger all have a MG gunners hatch and all you need is to alow that to be used.
the other tanks would requier the use of other hatchs...

Upvote 0
I accept that something should happen with the tank entry and exit times, but I dont think a time delay, with a "waiting" indication, is the best way.

I think the solution to this is all about where you can Enter and Exit the tank from. At the moment you can stand anywhere around the tank, press a key, and then you are inside. While inside, press a key and you are instantly outside at ground level.

If entry to a tank could only be achieved by climbing on top of it, and only then do you get the option to enter the hatch, this would increase the amount of time it takes to get back into a tank. Likewise, when you exit a tank, you can only exit once the hatch is opened (as this thread suggested) but you will appear at the exit point of the tank. Up top somewhere. That way, you are up high, and in plain view of every enemy nearby. A sitting target for any enemy paying attention to you.

From the top, the tank crewman could fire his weapon, possibly at some satchel charging maniac infantry? but then this may encourage infantry not to charge tanks so willy-nilly on their own. Perhaps it might encourage infantry to have a mate standing by with a weapon, ready to shoot at the top of the tank, where they know the tank crewman is going to appear should they choose to come out. (as opposed to someone appearing at some point on the ground around the tank)

If the tankcrewman chooses to jump from the top of the tank, they will probably injure theirselves? (not sure at what height you start taking damage in-game already) But if they do jump from the tank, at least they will take a while to get back inside, as they have to climb up the tank again.

This I think would give enough disadvantages for the tank crewmen to consider that they might not be so willing to jump in and out so readily.

I realise that this would require the ability and possibly some animations for the character to jump and climb their way to the top of the tank, but at least that way, the tank crewman is going to have to weigh up the risks of how long they are going to be out in the open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think there was a discussion waaaaay back about this kind of thing. And I think I remember suggesting every position had a specific entry/exit animation and were to be vulneable during it. This way if you hit a tank hard enough to disable it, the crew could each bail out seperately depending on who survived, and then attempt to make a run for it.

Upvote 0
I can't believe the exit delay still hasn't been implemented.

Hi. I heard somewhere that Panzer IV crewman had getting out of a tank down to 4 seconds. So it's not that completely bad that they instantly get out of the tank. But that was one tank, and I think a 5 second delay would be nice.

4 seconds is a lot in a combat situation! It's also 2/3 of the time it takes a PzIII to load another shell in - should that be instant too by the same logic?

Having a few second delay in exiting/entry even without animations would help immensely against the clown car threat. After all, Half-Tracks, UCs and BAs are the only vehicles that would be hindered by not having an instant exit option. Tankers don't normally exit vehicles apart from the few who hop out to spray people getting too close with their Pa Pa Shah.

I'd love to see animations for this, but it's a lot easier to just make it last a few seconds before the model appears outside. The quicker this problem is solved, the better.

Upvote 0
Only allow exit from a vehicle when the hatch is open. If you're in the gunsite or zoomed in driver view, you have to mousewheel scroll back to open hatches before you can hit use to jump out.

This causes a (small) delay while the already existing hatch open animation runs. It also has the affect of giving warning to people outside that you're exiting the tank (ie they see the hatch open).

perfect!

Upvote 0
Or freeze the bailing mofo!
without ability to fire his weapon for a few secs or even 1 sec will be enough. this will represent IRL situation better coz as soon as you start to bail you are exposed and during this process you are a sitting duck.

However some tanks might have a secondary hatch underneath the tank.I know that m-60s had one.
And this is not good for APC's and UC's,since they were designed for fast exits i guess...It will be wise to keep current exit system with them for gameplay purposes imo..

Upvote 0
Before and if this is implemented it should have an animation to go with it. Same for getting into a tank. If it is made though tanks should not explode everytime they are destroyed, because it is more common for tanks to be disabled then completely obliterated. Once a tank is disabled a random amount of crew should die (As well if a shot penetrates, just much less chance of someone dying) and the rest can bail out. What I'm trying to get at is if tanks can be completely destroyed so quickly as they can be now, then crew should be able to exit quickly too. But if crew have a good reason to escape a tank then yes it should be slowed down.

Right now some parts of tanking are very immersive but the whole teleporting in and out of tanks definitely detracts from that...

Upvote 0