• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quenaelin

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2006
Finland
Hello, I am new in this forum and posting here my first experiences about this game. I bought this game last week becouse I read some reviews how realistic this game is and so on, so then I installed it and that took quite long time becouse of steam. When I first started game and begin playing my first thought was utterly bad graphics combined with awkward bad gameplay and graphics was causing me dizzyness or simsickness, which few games does to me. But I didn't wanted to throw it away just after I bought it. So, I guess then I must get this game working and playable, I started tweaking and tweaking, changed fov to 90 and changed refresh rate and frame rate to optimal, adjusted gamma, removed blur shaking and head bobbing to get rid of dizzyness while playing. I managed to make graphics bearable and not causing so much nausea, and begin actually playing.

First started practise mode, hopped to one tank with driver, what the hell AI is driving around like mad. Maybe I should order him to move forward, so I pressed numpad 8 which is vehicle forward, but nothing happens AI is still driving like mad or with his own will not obeying my order, then I yelled back , go back, nothing happens again? Only when I ordered him to stop many times he stops for awhile and then he suddenly jumps off from tank, unbeliavable stupid AI? I wondered is this game any good at all, so I begin to drive tank my own and noticed it is actaully quite immersive, then saw one enemy tank and stopped far away to shoot, begin adjusting sights, what no mouse control, gunnery must be controlled with keys! Well, no problem I just have to manage keyboard gunnery contols, becouse many ancient tank games I have played had only keyboard controls, I shot that tank and it blew away in huge explosion, atleast some great explosion grahpics. Next there was other enemy tank moving, but cannot get it in my sights, hitting moving targets is hard becouse you can't follow targets smoothly. I had to predict enemy movement long before I shoot, no smooth target tracking with mouse in this new modern game wtf!?

After all struggle with user interface, I finally realised this game has some potential to be great game and it has also lot of realism and it can actually be fun when you get used to it. I managed to destroy many enemy tanks and battle fiercely with enemy tank AI, which in fact can shoot pretty straight. I must try multiplayer next but like to know little bit what I am doing first to prevent unnessary team killing. I like realism in this game, user interface is quite awkward at first, tank AI is too stupid, why they can't obey simple commands when inside tank? I like to know also why leaning is tilting screen view, this is quite annoying feature and maybe not so realistic, why I cannot lean without tilting my head? Overall it is good game, not magnificient but good sim-like game, only if it got better graphics and better controls and user interface, it could be much better.

I wondered is this game any good at all, so I begin to drive tank my own and noticed it is actaully quite immersive, then saw one enemy tank and stopped far away to shoot, begin adjusting sights, what no mouse control, gunnery must be controlled with keys! Well, no problem I just have to manage keyboard gunnery contols, becouse many ancient tank games I have played had only keyboard controls, I shot that tank and it blew away in huge explosion, atleast some great explosion grahpics. Next there was other enemy tank moving, but cannot get it in my sights, hitting moving targets is hard becouse you can't follow targets smoothly. I had to predict enemy movement long before I shoot, no smooth target tracking with mouse in this new modern game wtf!? .

Mouse tracking wouldn't really work with the slow turret speeds of WWII tanks...... Is it such a problem to have to think about things in order to kill someone?:)

After all struggle with user interface, I finally realised this game has some potential to be great game and it has also lot of realism and it can actually be fun when you get used to it. I managed to destroy many enemy tanks and battle fiercely with enemy tank AI, which in fact can shoot pretty straight. I must try multiplayer next but like to know little bit what I am doing first to prevent unnessary team killing. I like realism in this game, user interface is quite awkward at first, tank AI is too stupid, why they can't obey simple commands when inside tank? I like to know also why leaning is tilting screen view, this is quite annoying feature and maybe not so realistic, why I cannot lean without tilting my head? Overall it is good game, not magnificient but good sim-like game, only if it got better graphics and better controls and user interface, it could be much better.

When you lean, it is assumed that you are tilting as far as possible left or right, which means also moving your head that direction, which would naturally cause your head to tilt. The controls you just have to learn and get used to, and graphics.....

I can't help you there.

Like I said above, give it a shot on multiplayer before you trash it.

P.S. - What games have you played previous to this?

Upvote 0
I had to predict enemy movement long before I shoot, no smooth target tracking with mouse in this new modern game wtf!?
It's a modern game, but WW2 is not somewhat "modern". In mod version you could aim the barrel with mouse, and that was just plain stupid.

WW2 tanks could not aim with the precision of a fire control computer, and RO reflects this great with keyboard controls. You only need to get used to it, don't follow the tanks far away with your barrel, but rather put it on it's lead and then adjust.

As for AI, they're there just for beginners to get used to game/controls. It's not a good way to enjoy the game :)

why I cannot lean without tilting my head?

Maybe you should try to do it right now IRL? Thanks, that's why you're tilting in RO :D

Upvote 0
The easiet way to shoot a tank is to adjust your sights a couple of seconds in front of a moving tank, and then let the tank come into your sights, rather than you jerking your turret all over the place doing squat.

So lets say a tank is 500m out, heading to your left. Move the crosshairs a suitable distance to the left, about 50m in front of the tank, and let it roll into your sights (lead the shot, of course).

I just realized that I am really bad at talking about tank tactics....

Maybe someone can explain this better than I can.:)

Upvote 0
It's a modern game, but WW2 is not somewhat "modern". In mod version you could aim the barrel with mouse, and that was just plain stupid.

WW2 tanks could not aim with the precision of a fire control computer, and RO reflects this great with keyboard controls. You only need to get used to it, don't follow the tanks far away with your barrel, but rather put it on it's lead and then adjust.

As for AI, they're there just for beginners to get used to game/controls. It's not a good way to enjoy the game :)

Maybe you should try to do it right now IRL? Thanks, that's why you're tilting in RO :D

Why mouse control was stupid? WW2 tanks were quite accurate and they could move turrets with great accuracy and follow targets also, where is that famous Tiger gun accuracy for hitting targets over 1000m, if you control your gun with inaccurate keyboard? No need for targeting computers here, I am only refering to controlling gun more smoothly. Maybe joystick is better for controlling gun, haven't tested that yet, is is possible in this game?

Upvote 0
Oh, I know.

Moving the turret with your keyboard allows you to pop out of the hatch, turn the turret, and look around with your mouse at the same time.

Case. Closed.

On a bit of a different note...... don't you just love it when you are just driving in circles around a Tiger 1 while it frantically tries to bring its turret into play?

Terrible German engineering on that one, eh?

Upvote 0
Why mouse control was stupid? WW2 tanks were quite accurate and they could move turrets with great accuracy and follow targets also, where is that famous Tiger gun accuracy for hitting targets over 1000m, if you control your gun with inaccurate keyboard? No need for targeting computers here, I am only refering to controlling gun more smoothly. Maybe joystick is better for controlling gun, haven't tested that yet, is is possible in this game?

tigers were famous for hitting targets that stood 1000 m away i guess. back then they didnt use mousepads or joysticks but handwheels, one for elevation and one for turning left/right. i can use the keyboard controls very well and prefer it above the mouse-handling back in the mod days (dunno why, but i guess it adds some kind of immersion and makes hitting a good shot look like a real achievement, unlike the "point and click"-method)

as for the graphics, maybe you should try to turn off HDR

Upvote 0

I know it was precise, but tell me, is their equipment in any way comparable to mouse smoothness and easyness? NO. Also, I have no problems hitting targets far away with my keyboard, and it's no way inaccurate.

They had handles and foot pedals for rotation, WHICH is comparable for keyboard traversion. We only need to model their "turret rotation gear" to model different rotation speeds.

Upvote 0
Oh, I know.

Moving the turret with your keyboard allows you to pop out of the hatch, turn the turret, and look around with your mouse at the same time.

You should be able to bind turret moving keys wherever you want, I really want that controlling turret is customizable, you could move turret how you like with keyboard, mouse or joystick or even both at same time if you want.

On a bit of a different note...... don't you just love it when you are just driving in circles around a Tiger 1 while it frantically tries to bring its turret into play?

Terrible German engineering on that one, eh?

AI is stupid like mad. Tiger gun is turned by moving tank not turret, but AI controlled tank crew simply don't obey your commands, if you ask driver to turn tank, it deosn't happen, they are doing what they want! If human player is inside tank AI should obey your commands precisely and not doing what they want, I really hope devs will patch AI.

Upvote 0
Yes the graphics are not the most amazing 1337 Roxorz graphics in the market, however, I find them VERY VERY good for the aged tweaked, modified UT2004 engin.

I will also add that the graphics are better then battlefield2 graphics for me considering... I can only run BF2 on medium.

Also, the the graphics might not be as smooth... but this game has A LOT more details and will run very well on updated 4 year old computers such as early P4's with 1gig ram and high end old videocards...

Bots... forget bots... just use them to play one or two games...
But as soon as you understand the team uniforms, the objectives and how to cap them... Jump in a server...

The game is not easy, but as you get good at it... you will love it more and more...

Check out the tank guides... there are a lot of tips on where to shoot a tank (weak spots such as ammo compartments, engin bay..., how to angle you tank in order to get incoming rounds just bounce off your armour.

Again... I dont know how you can think the graphics arent good...
Also... if you want to have an intense game... join a server that runs the map Danzig... its the latest map that got added to the game... constant action in there....

Enjoy the game, I am certain that you will love it and find it much better then the others as soon as you are able to cap, survive the cap, take the objective and kill people while you are at it.

Maps I do recommend for you in order to have fun starting.
Odessa as the germans defending... (as the russians, it can be much harder on that map)
Danzig... as whoever... ennemies at every street corner.
Baskan vallee is a small straight forward map... its a good one to get good at bolt rifles.

What other shooter game do you own ?

Upvote 0
I know it was precise, but tell me, is their equipment in any way comparable to mouse smoothness and easyness? NO. Also, I have no problems hitting targets far away with my keyboard, and it's no way inaccurate.

They had handles and foot pedals for rotation, WHICH is comparable for keyboard traversion. We only need to model their "turret rotation gear" to model different rotation speeds.

You have to remember these turret rotation handles were analog not simply digital on/off like computer keyboard and you can allways model jerkiness in mouse movement also it isn't so big deal, you don't need to make it so precise.

Upvote 0
You should be able to bind turret moving keys wherever you want, I really want that controlling turret is customizable, you could move turret how you like with keyboard, mouse or joystick or even both at same time if you want.

Nah, keyboards ensure that turrets are finicky - just like in real life!:eek:

AI is stupid like mad. Tiger gun is turned by moving tank not turret, but AI controlled tank crew simply don't obey your commands, if you ask driver to turn tank, it deosn't happen, they are doing what they want! If human player is inside tank AI should obey your commands precisely and not doing what they want, I really hope devs will patch AI.

Well, no one will disagree with you here - the AI is insanely retarded.

That being said, I don't want them to waste their time fixing the AI - I would rather have Ramm (the sole coder) to fix bugs, exploits, etc......

I have a hint for you. Next time a bot gets in your tank, hit

Voice Menu -> 6 -> 9

GET THE **** OUTTA MY MOTHER****ING TANK YOU STUPID SONSA*****ES!

And with that said, I go to rest.....

Oh, time for a shameless plug.

The [=KAS=] Clan is recruiting tonight. Our server IP is

63.211.111.64:7757

Alright, shameless plug is over:D

Upvote 0
You have to remember these turret rotation handles were analog not simply digital on/off like computer keyboard and you can allways model jerkiness in mouse movement also it isn't so big deal, you don't need to make it so precise.

Like I said before - if we controlled the turret with the mouse, we couldn't move the turret and look around at the same time (looking around unbuttoned).

Upvote 0
Hop into a tank in bf2 where the mouse is used to rotate and aim and you'll realise how good RO approaches a suprisingly difficult system. Setting your mouse sens to 50 and spinning the turret like a mad man wouldnt fit into a game like RO not to mention the fact that its much more an even playing field if everyone has the same turret traverse speed.
If you were allowed to tweak the speeds the reality of the tigers slow traverse (with low RPM) and the russian turrets fast traverse would be completely lost not to mention to a pile of noobs piling up to try get the tank with the heaviest armour.

Upvote 0
Keyboard simulates the turret controls more than using a joystick or mouse.

Upvote 0