• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hip Shooting BOGUS

B4_CN

Oct 29, 2006
This is probably one of my biggest gripes about RO. I don't mind that people can fire from the hip. What bothers me is the fact that when you do fire from the hip, you will always hit the same place everytime. There is no variation. So if you figure out how much to hold off, using the barrel, its almost as good as aiming. My problem with this is realism. If any of you were in the military or even have some experience shooting, you know there is NO way you could be that accurate firing from the hip and in most cases while moving too. The accuracy during hip shooting really needs to be toned down IMHO. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Yes and No. While some players can in a way "beat the system" of freeaim by learning how to position the gun correctly, it is by no means as easy as if the gun were perfectly centred on the screen.

I think if hip accuracy were decreased any further we'd end up with people going into ironsights within 2 feet of each other just to be able to successfully hit each other. Just my humble opinion on the matter.

Upvote 0
I'm not necessarily talking about a range of 2 feet. I can hit from 100 yards without aiming. Can I do it all the time?, no, but the fact of the matter is that I shouldn't be able to at all. The variation I'm talking about, a wobble maybe, in where the barrel is pointing wouldn't really be a factor at very close ranges, but as you got out to 50 yards or more, you'd have to actually aim, just like you would IRL. The way it is now, I don't see anyone aiming with sights unless its something way out. Thats not how it really is.

I hate to repeat myself, but I spent 16 years in the army. I was in the infantry and went to sniper school and finished my time in a light inf recon platoon. I taught marksmanship, I competed and I also trained others after me to compete on a national level. The point is, I'm not just making this stuff up. If this is supposed to lean on the realistic side, then I thinking something should be done about it.

Upvote 0
...Thats not how it really is.

maybe you should realize that this is still "only" a game :) this game has it "rules" like "it is sometimes better to try hipshot+run instead of aim carefully" and many players can decide for this more often than any of them would do it in RL... just because dying does not hurt... and freeaim in RO is perfect as it is... of course you can learn how to hipshot pretty good even for longer distances... but that is the difference between good and bad players...

Upvote 0
To hit someone at 100 yards without irons would usually take a lot of practice. With enough practice, some real cowboys could hit small animals shooting from their hips in the old west. So it is possible.

While it may be easy for some. It's still not nearly as easy as any other game out there. I say leave it as it is. Unless someone can come out with something better. Besides there is a lot of other stuff that I'd rather have addressed first. Even the bolt reload animation (don't change the subject to that again!) is above that.

Upvote 0
I'm not confident with the current system either.

With semiauto rifles or smgs it's most of the time more effective too shot from the hip instead of using ironsigths. That is not only the case at close range, but also at mid range.

Also with rifles I find hip shooting at least at close range more effective.

This problem can only be solved if the movement system get's a complete overhaul. And this is in my opinion the weakest part in RO. At the moment we have a very realistical environment in RO, which is better then in any other game. But the movement system itself is not very different to any of these arcade shooters around.

First you can switch between weapons too fast (also position switch in vehicles). So nades and PAKs can be used gamey like and not relistically. Second the weapon is positioned always centered when not using ironsigths. Which makes is comparable to having a virtual cross-hair at least at close distances. Third there is no momentum while rotating the body. So you can incredibly fast turn in every direction and so act faster as it would be possible in reality.

These points are for me these parts in RO that really bother me. I hope that there will be a improvement. However since most people are used to fast paced action in computer games, I don't think that this will ever happen. A really realistic game would be just too slow for the majority of players.

Upvote 0
Its not easy to hip shot people at distance, just like in real life presumably. If you can hip shoot consistently people over like 15 feet away then you deserve the frag imo because its pretty hard/takes practice just like in real life.

the weapon is positioned always centered when not using ironsigths. Which makes is comparable to having a virtual cross-hair at least at close distances.

The gun moves from centre all the time - the only way you can get hip shots is to move the mouse away from what would be the centre and judge the angle of the weapon compared to the position of the enemy on the screen. In real life you would have the same perspective and the weapon would move similarly wouldn't it? Not that any sane guy would hip shoot in real life because you don't respawn :D - but thats another topic - the way hips shooting works ingame is realistic but tbh you would have to be a nutter to do it in real life. Wouldn't you bring it up a bit (not fully iron sight) to get a better chance of hitting the target? The game though is better like this from a gameplay point of view - if you had another stance then the game would only get easier IMO and I like there to be something to practice with or i'll get bored and play something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is probably one of my biggest gripes about RO. I don't mind that people can fire from the hip. What bothers me is the fact that when you do fire from the hip, you will always hit the same place everytime. There is no variation. So if you figure out how much to hold off, using the barrel, its almost as good as aiming. My problem with this is realism. If any of you were in the military or even have some experience shooting, you know there is NO way you could be that accurate firing from the hip and in most cases while moving too. The accuracy during hip shooting really needs to be toned down IMHO. Am I the only one that thinks this?

look carefully where you shoot while you hip shot. You will notice that you will not hit the same spot twice, eevn with a bolt rifle. There is near always a slight difference when you shot again.

Upvote 0
This problem can only be solved if the movement system get's a complete overhaul. And this is in my opinion the weakest part in RO. At the moment we have a very realistical environment in RO, which is better then in any other game. But the movement system itself is not very different to any of these arcade shooters around.

First you can switch between weapons too fast (also position switch in vehicles). So nades and PAKs can be used gamey like and not relistically. Second the weapon is positioned always centered when not using ironsigths. Which makes is comparable to having a virtual cross-hair at least at close distances. Third there is no momentum while rotating the body. So you can incredibly fast turn in every direction and so act faster as it would be possible in reality.

These points are for me these parts in RO that really bother me. I hope that there will be a improvement. However since most people are used to fast paced action in computer games, I don't think that this will ever happen. A really realistic game would be just too slow for the majority of players.

i agree with these points but like you said tripwire will not change it, i think tw want to keep ro feeling like a realistic fps rather than more sim like. However maybe some of the mods might introduce a bit more realism with regards to movement/ weapon switching.

Upvote 0
The problem in my eyes is not so much hipshooting accuracy, it's the hipshooting accuracy while jogging.

The movement seems to affect your accuracy way too little, this is supported by the fact that your gun moves only slightly while jogging in first person perspective. I doubt anyone can hold his arms and weapon as steady as that for a longer period of time while jogging.

Normally while moving at that pace the impact point of your bullet would move all over the place (I'm picturing a pattern similar to the very old DoD crosshairs), but in RO it seems to be more or less stable. Stable enough at least to hose down an enemy at 30m by dragging a "line" over him. I'm not saying this was entirely impossible, but simply not while jogging.

Upvote 0
The movement seems to affect your accuracy way too little, this is supported by the fact that your gun moves only slightly while jogging in first person perspective. I doubt anyone can hold his arms and weapon as steady as that for a longer period of time while jogging.

Again, lending creedance to this discussion

I suppose this could tie in with the discussion on having 3 stances, a walk/run with the weapon accross your chest - so you can't fire, a walk/slower run with the weapon shouldered, and then the iron sights view.

Upvote 0
With semiauto rifles or smgs it's most of the time more effective too shot from the hip instead of using ironsigths. That is not only the case at close range, but also at mid range.
Funny, even against a lot of other RO veterans who hipshoot a lot, I usually find myself surviving more firefights by quickly dropping to crouch and sighting in for aimed fire rather than just going for hipshots. I can do OK from hip with an automatic, but it's just silly IMO with the rifles.

Upvote 0
What are you on crack topic creator? I can't hit a person any farther than 5 feet away from me while hipshooting except by good luck and a little bit of good estimation. I think the farthest away I've ever hip-shot someone from was 10 meters with my MN 91/30, and that was some luck as well as good estimation. If you read about hipshooting in other threads, you'll read that the bullet goes wherever the barrel is pointing, not in the same direction every time. I've tested this, and the bullet really does go where you aim.

Hipshooting is not a problem at all. I rarely get hipshot unless I'm in very close quarters (example: the apartments in Odessa) and even then it usually only happens when the other person has an SMG.

Upvote 0
ok WHY DO PEOPLE FIRE FROM THE HIP YOU ASK?! because the is take a nice 3 seconds to get up and another 3 to put down. i have some guns, it dosent take that stinkin long, but in short, its better to just start shootin then to actually aim..

in the time it takes you to go to is you could
fire the first rifle round and start jackin the bolt
fire anywhere from 5-10 bullets from a smg depending on which make
fire half a pistol magazine
get my drift, its faster to hip shoot...

some suggestions for this.
CONTINUAL AIM: this funciton can be enabeled in your settings and means if you go to is, start running , stop , your is come back up by themselfs.

much faster is for pistols, these weapons are light and therefore shouldent take 2 seconds to raise up...

finish working on that shouldered but not using iron sights idea..

make a meduim running speed where somone can have a weapon to their shoulder and fire mostly innacuratly (used for surpressing the enemy as you move up).

Upvote 0