• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

research paper

ok, i have to do a reasearch paper of my choice and i decided to do a paper on what else but school violence. simple question for everyone who would like to answer.

What do you think causes school violence?

give a short specific answer here or PM would be great.

this is somewhat of a survey so if you want you can give your name and what state your from so i can quote your answer. (just a first name and a last initial would be fine, i wont stalk you and try to murder your family i promise)

Do you have an idea for your thesis yet?

Before you begin searching for a cause, you may want to document the notable events in school violence over past 50 to 100 years. Look for trends in the violence. You may also want to narrow the term violence to maybe shootings, bullying, etc. Violence is a very broad term and you could end up with a 100 page report. Focus your thesis on a single issue relating to school violence. For example, you could begin your paper discussing the recent Amish school shooting and maybe Columbine as your introduction and move toward your thesis. Focus the thesis on the things that have been blamed for youth violence such as video games, movies, music, etc. Then discuss each of these in the body of the paper giving plenty of data to prove or disprove each thing. By the time you reach your concluding paragraph, you should be able to discuss the causes of school violence.

I don't know what sort of class this is for but I wouldn't use a survey. I doubt your teacher/professor would accept that sort of data.

The CDC and other government websites have tons of data on youth violence. That would be the best place to start.

Upvote 0
I would say it starts with lack of parenting. Teaching your child right from wrong.

Personally, I teach both of my sons to never start a fight, but they had better not back down. I have taught them, they should always try to talk their way out of a fight, as long as it doesnt conflict with their morals.

If they think they are gonna be hit, they were taught to come out swinging, dont give the bully the chance. If my kids come home and have had their ass beat and didnt fight back, they know they will have to deal with me.

So yeah, upbringing is the main reason I think. Parents need to be involved in their childrens lives without over parenting.

Jay M.
Sterling Illinois

Upvote 0
Your upbringing and the strain of en-mass social conformity.

I had long hair in school, and was the only boy (afaik) who did. I was constantly putting up with the chavs/townies/waynes verbal abuse. If I wasn't so intelligent/wise/well-mannered/betterthanthem I probably would have killed them. I had a good upbringing, and I'm a good person. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pussy, and when attacked will attack back. But I'm sure someone else would have handled the situation differently.

And on the games front, I've been gaming since the age of 6 and it hasn't made me violent :)

Upvote 0
Seems to me school violence is more often than not a matter of low selfesteem.

Ofcourse thouse with low selfesteem are the usual victims of bullying, the archtypical meek nerdy type if you will, easy prey, but the bullies themselves are no different, if you couple a distorted self image with bad upbringing, emotional problems, violence at home, any numbers of catalysts really, you end up with individuals who act out violently to make themselves feel better about themselves, to give them a sense that they have some sort of power and control.

Or to put it very simply, they aim to raise their own sense of worth by robbing others of theirs, taking focus away from their own problems and feelings of failure.

Ofcourse this only covers bullying, school shooters are a much more complex breed, then we are talking heavy stuff like mental illness, and/or very seriously abused kids, all findings on the area indicates that it takes something of that magnitude to create a desturbed and violent individual like this, its heavy stuff, make no mistake.

- Glen

Upvote 0
Even better: Search ERIC. It'll be the second result in Google. You can look for all journal articles, yes, but there are even some ERIC Digests and ERIC Reports on violence, e.g.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/contentdelivery/servlet/ERICServlet?accno=ED482921

Characteristics of schools with high violence included enrollment size, urbanicity, neighborhood crime, number of classroom changes, number of serious discipline problems, and number of schoolwide disruptions. Characteristics of schools with high serious violence included enrollment size, students below the 15th percentile on standardized tests, student-teacher ratio, number of serious discipline problems, number of students transferring from the school, and number of schoolwide disruptions.

You should realize that a lot of that translates into "poor schools with low parental involvement." The high transient rate's the real flag -- a lot of parents will move their kids if they find another "First month's rent free" deal.

School violence doesn't always have the causes you'd expect. For example: Some schools have wider hallways. They have lower rates of violence. Why? Well, narrower hallways increase the density, which makes it more likely for kids to bump into each other. More kids bumping into each other means more kids think (rightly or wrongly) that someone was pushing them. That translates into more fights.

If you use ERIC, go to advanced search; turn on full-text only; and play with search terms. I used "school violence" and "causes" to find 91 articles, e.g.:
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/contentdelivery/servlet/ERICServlet?accno=ED454459

Upvote 0
well its a 12 page paper sooooooooo im kinda looking at all of them

The easiest one to find information on the the killings. Focus on that. Then you can discuss the various reasons given as to why kids snap and do this. You can easily get 12 pages on this. Do a paragraph about music, then another about drugs, then one about video games, then one about school discipline, etc. Use Times New Roman, size 12, double spaced and use lots of charts.

I always hated it when teachers gave a certain length to a paper. In the real would, you need to be as concise as possible.

Above all, formulate a thesis statement before all else. This and your conclusion are the most difficult parts of your paper.

Upvote 0
You're going to want to narrow your topic. Something like 'causes of school violence' or 'preventing school violence' or 'school violence in the inner city versus rural areas' or the likes is much more defined. That way, you can use the results of these questions (much condensed) for the first part of your paper, but your conclusion will be much more defined and easier to work with. Just 'school violence' as a topic is like writing a paper on 'world peace'. That's not a paper, that's a series.

To your question though, I honestly believe it's the lack of discipline in schools, combined with poor parenting as a result of cultural shifts over the last 30 years or so. Traditional households are hard to find anymore, but people still preach the traditional model of parenting (watch what your kids do every moment, make them eat their vegies, get them to bed on time, etc) when a lot of time it just isn't possible. I pretty much raised my brother and sister due to my mother always working to support us. Obviously, she wasn't able to watch what we did or said or saw or ate every single day. She got lucky in that I wasn't born a homicidal maniac or the likes so everything worked out in the end, but you get the idea :)

Now people who CAN but will nto for selfish reasons have stay-at-home parent are a different story. IMO, that's where the trouble comes from most. Kids with too much time on their hands at home not learning how to act. If you can afford two huge SUVs and a sportscar and a boat, someone needs to stay at home and be a damn parent. Make sacrifices. That's how parenting works.

Upvote 0
In the real world, the ***** of the matter is condensing a 12-page paper into a 1-page paper. =(

/reporter

I know where you're coming from. Most of the writing I do now is scientific reports. I hate abstracts. It's like saying, "okay good report, now condense the 6 months of research you did into a paragraph."

/microbiologist

Upvote 0