• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Binocular not accuarte?

mat69

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006
I played the Morm Range map lately.
At one point tanks are exactly 500m away according to the author, and you hit them easily if you set your tank to 500m.

Ok, but if I look through the binocular they are 8 mills wide.
The T34 is around 6m long. So: 6:8=0.75km
So according to the bionuclar it is 750m away, while it is only 500m away in "reality".
It should be 12 mills, but not 8.

What do you think on that?

Either the binoc zoom level is incorrect or the markers are. Or it could be the size of the tanks or the map itself is incorrectly proportioned/ranged. Or any combination of the four. Real life reference pics of tanks at different distances through binocs and without would be the best way to judge whether the zoom is wrong or the markers or the tank scale etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This should be in the bugs forum.

And as far as I know, the tanks are the correct distance. I based it on the meter to UU conversion factor. This also tests true when using the tank optics - as said a 500 meter target will hit dead on when the sights are set to 500 meters.

Using this map, I pointed out to the devs (which got fixed subsequently) that the KV-1s sights were off by a few hundred meters.

Upvote 0
sigh, it its kinda useless, im sorry...

the degrees on your compass are usualy measured in 360 parts, threre diffrent ones available.

simple as it is, they say that one degree declination at your compass would result after a kilometer in one meter diffrence.

starting point, walk a kilometer, be a meter beside your target and realize you aimed one degree away from it.

that would implement that your bino uses the compass degrees and say that the lines you draw with your eyes over the marks in your bino would be accurate.

mean, i can be a smart alek if i want to...

Upvote 0
Isn't the perspective in the game different from real life? Would this have any effect on that?

Perspective is different due to the angle of your Point of View. This only affects your "naked eye" view, not binocs or telescopic sight view, AFAIK.

The devs seem to have done a great job getting the view angles correct with the telescopic tank sights.

So it would seem to me this could just be an oversight.

Upvote 0
the zoom level on the binocs changes, as i pointed out somewhere before, without any constructful respond.

when youre in a tank using the commanders binocs, things appear smaller as if you were an officer on foot
Serious? They are the exact same binocs right? Wow I never noticed that. Yeah that's a major discrepency right there. People may say things like that are not that big a problem (as demonstrated by the fact most people didn't even notice it, like me) but It's alot of little things that eventually add up to a pile of inconsistences. I know TW are a small team so they can't catch everything however as long as they're willing to eventually correct things it's fine by me.

Upvote 0
I did not ask them to fix anything, I only asked if it is correct now.
And I guess it is more a texturing (chaning the size of the /\ [even I could do this and tried it for the Tiger]) than a coding thing, but well I could easily be wrong on that.

it'd probably be mostly chaning the fov of the zoomed weaponry but getting that right is not that easy :p

Upvote 0
I've noticed something like that as well in the optics of the german tanks, but never really tested it on Morms Range. I'll try if I find the time.

Concerning the different zoom or magnification, it should not affect (afaik) the values of the markings, they remain constant.

I also think that otherwise they'd have been almost useless unless the commanders/gunners/whoever used them were very good and quick in mental calculation... and remembering which damn zoom they were using at any given moment in a combat situation. Not a real issue in RO, as the magnification in some tank optics are not implemented.

Upvote 0