• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design tHE rOAD TO OREL FINAL MAP THREAD BY THE AUTHOR

Rommel, your posting just about gave me a woody.

Here is my fantasy:

Tripwire releases a patch afer the Panzer 4H patch including the following...

Ferdinand Tank
ISU152
A German version of the Clown Car

and an improved 2000meter vision range "Road to Orel" map, courtesy of the Author that included all the tanks you listed.

Now that would Rock.

Oh hell ya!

Upvote 0
Yeah Id like that
The more vehicles the better!
Actually the Ba-64 was modeled from the German SDKF 222 so I guess that would make it the German "clown car" and the Soviet BA-64 would be the Soviet verison of it.-lol:D
As I recall I think they even tried to mount a antitank gun on the BA-64 to counter the German 20mm antitank gun but I dont know if any were produced.:cool:

For more about the elefant/ferdinand tank:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12370&highlight=elefant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First off - Orel is an awesome map, the best really - some people don't like to drive 5 mins, and yes I don't like it either but it forces people to play in team and value their lifes - killing enemy is also more pleasing as they would have to drive long time :)

88 vs 76 is a much better balance, Tiger is really scary - if possible it would have been great to get more points for hitting it, but I suppose map can't change that.

New view ranges were mentioned - Orel is just the map for 2km range, going higher than that is probably pointless from shooting point off view, though 3km would be nice just to know where the enemy is with plenty of time to react.

If you add forward spawns please make sure there is at least 3-4 min drive between objectives because this extra time is really really important - it is what prevents Orel from being bigger version of Arad, just look at Black Day in July (which is also a very good map, but still not Orel).

Keep up good work!!!

Upvote 0
Please finish/fix it!! I assume you have a collection of all the problems with it? Can I just suggest a couple more things? Maybe have regular infantry equipped with satchels to blow bridges and leave the tankers to the tanking. Also If you got rid of the rambo (one man army) loadout for the tankers it would be great and realistic too, just give em either a smg or pistol + a couple grenades if ya like. The ridiculous tankers jumping out when things go bad and activate manpurse destruction sequence REALLY REALLY marrs the fun of tank battle. I don't know what your ideas are on Pak Soldats & PTRD-Soldiers, maybe that'd add some extra tactical intrique to the map. Maybe give the AT solders Satchels so they can be bridge blowers & AntiTank simultaneously. Just some ideas if you're interested in them, your decision of course.

Upvote 0
Please finish/fix it!! I assume you have a collection of all the problems with it? Can I just suggest a couple more things? Maybe have regular infantry equipped with satchels to blow bridges and leave the tankers to the tanking. Also If you got rid of the rambo (one man army) loadout for the tankers it would be great and realistic too, just give em either a smg or pistol + a couple grenades if ya like. The ridiculous tankers jumping out when things go bad and activate manpurse destruction sequence REALLY REALLY marrs the fun of tank battle. I don't know what your ideas are on Pak Soldats & PTRD-Soldiers, maybe that'd add some extra tactical intrique to the map. Maybe give the AT solders Satchels so they can be bridge blowers & AntiTank simultaneously. Just some ideas if you're interested in them, your decision of course.

I have scripted a new tanker class who has A (one) satchel. There wil be two of these on each side at this stage but I might make it 1, as you can blow the bridges already with Arty, HE tank Rounds (needs more work, I need more info on the Damage types), and Satchels. As for infantry, I would love to have Hoards of soldiers following behind the tanks, or running round in APCs, but there is a 32 player limit, and its a big map to fill. I will concentrate the forces in tanks, with some AT Guns. The level is so big that infantry would be useless walking around and if I gave a few APCs it would mean less Tanks, so less intense tank fights. Also Panzerfausts would be limited to the small towns as they are short range, and you couldnt sneak up on a tank over 500m of open ground. The PTRD is probably not usefull against 1942-43 tanks, so any PTRD soldiers would basiclly be next to useless. Also infantry require cover on a different scale to tanks, so I couldnt put enough stuff in the level to be effective cover with out the FPS being totally crap.

I guess my point is Im making a very tank level.

Im playing around with the draw distance, its at 2.5km and its starting to Chug, aarrrggghh. I get around 20 FPS. At 4km draw distance, it looks good tho.

Upvote 0
I have scripted a new tanker class who has A (one) satchel. There wil be two of these on each side at this stage but I might make it 1, as you can blow the bridges already with Arty, HE tank Rounds (needs more work, I need more info on the Damage types), and Satchels. As for infantry, I would love to have Hoards of soldiers following behind the tanks, or running round in APCs, but there is a 32 player limit, and its a big map to fill. I will concentrate the forces in tanks, with some AT Guns. The level is so big that infantry would be useless walking around and if I gave a few APCs it would mean less Tanks, so less intense tank fights. Also Panzerfausts would be limited to the small towns as they are short range, and you couldnt sneak up on a tank over 500m of open ground. The PTRD is probably not usefull against 1942-43 tanks, so any PTRD soldiers would basiclly be next to useless. Also infantry require cover on a different scale to tanks, so I couldnt put enough stuff in the level to be effective cover with out the FPS being totally crap.

I guess my point is Im making a very tank level.

Im playing around with the draw distance, its at 2.5km and its starting to Chug, aarrrggghh. I get around 20 FPS. At 4km draw distance, it looks good tho.
Sounds pretty good. Regarding the AT soldiers equipped with satchels instead of tankers you could still have them (maybe one PTRD & PAk Soldat per side) and give them just one BA64 (or UniversalCarrier) and Halftrack and once bridge blowing duties are over they could just continue to play as AT soldier and for instance harrass enemy tanks by setting up ambushes in the houses or they could switch to a tanker (PTRD could ambush from anywhere not just houses). How you could do this is make the total tanker slots 16 per side but also add the one AT role per side so there will be 17 slots per side so depending on what players choose there could be 15 tankers & 1AT per side or 16tankers & zero AT per side. About the draw distance: Alot of tanks don't even have range adjustment past 1000 meters so those tanks would be at a disadvantage to ones that have greater adjustment like the Tiger, Panther, and others which is cool and realistic but maybe maxing out the draw distance might be a little extreme considering how small things currently appear at 1000meters. At 4000meters I'd think It'd be a one micron dot you're aiming at. Just some ideas I'm throwing out there. [EDIT] one last thing I don't know if it's already been mentioned but make sure to give players points for blowing up bridges that way people know you're helping and people will have incentive to blow them and not just forget about them cause "you don't get points". As it is now I blow all 3 German bridges for instance and get zero points for my efforts most team members think you're just picking your ass and not helping the team unless you inform them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have scripted a new tanker class who has A (one) satchel. There wil be two of these on each side at this stage but I might make it 1, as you can blow the bridges already with Arty, HE tank Rounds (needs more work, I need more info on the Damage types), and Satchels.

You can also blow them up with grenades, which needs to be adressed.

Upvote 0
Slashbot_427 I just have to add my appreciation for making orel, that was just the thing that RO needed for tank simulation to come forward in this game and not only be infantry duels and panzerfausts dominating tanks.

I think u know most of the problems already in your first map, and somebody made the 76vs88 version of it. I will just give my ideas that I would like to see in your new version. Which I think would make the map good.

- If u do change the view distance, 2000m would be just right, because farther than that might spoil the map.

- I think the spawns are good right now, but maybe change the starting spawn to start from south lake town (russian) and north bridge town (german), so that the "first" spawn will bring heated action straight away in heights and after that they will spawn from the back, unless they control the heights. If this can be done it would be great.

- I like the satchel option on crews, but maybe u could change it so that u can only get satchels from ruins/central heights/east heights buildings. 1 satchel spawn location in each.

- Fix the bridges, if u can they should only be destroyable by satchel charges or artillery strikes. So that they aren't destroyed so easily as they are right now. That would bring more point and make it harder to take them down.

- Fix the water trick. Tanks can't drive underwater, so make it more sloped or if the tank falls in to water it will blow up. Make it a minefield the underwater parts :)

- Now that we can have more view range, it would really great if u could add 100-300m more space from the sides of the map, so that u can really flank west field or east field.

- Give smoke grenades to tank commanders, that is the one thing that I have always wished in the map, so that u can smoke some areas making it more harder to see. Because the tanks don't have smoke ammo, the commanders should have smoke grenades.

- Historical tanks, should be in the map. No panthers, and only 1 tiger for germans, 1 tiger spawn location in both spawns, so it can be possible to have 2 tigers at the same time in play.

These are just ideas that I would like to see, but I don't mind if nothing comes out of these suggestions, 2000m view range and smoke grenades is what I wish for the most if u can add these you will make one orel tanker happy. =)

Upvote 0
Slashbot_427 I just have to add my appreciation for making orel, that was just the thing that RO needed for tank simulation to come forward in this game and not only be infantry duels and panzerfausts dominating tanks.

I think u know most of the problems already in your first map, and somebody made the 76vs88 version of it. I will just give my ideas that I would like to see in your new version. Which I think would make the map good.

- If u do change the view distance, 2000m would be just right, because farther than that might spoil the map.

- I think the spawns are good right now, but maybe change the starting spawn to start from south lake town (russian) and north bridge town (german), so that the "first" spawn will bring heated action straight away in heights and after that they will spawn from the back, unless they control the heights. If this can be done it would be great.

- I like the satchel option on crews, but maybe u could change it so that u can only get satchels from ruins/central heights/east heights buildings. 1 satchel spawn location in each.

- Fix the bridges, if u can they should only be destroyable by satchel charges or artillery strikes. So that they aren't destroyed so easily as they are right now. That would bring more point and make it harder to take them down.

- Fix the water trick. Tanks can't drive underwater, so make it more sloped or if the tank falls in to water it will blow up. Make it a minefield the underwater parts :)

- Now that we can have more view range, it would really great if u could add 100-300m more space from the sides of the map, so that u can really flank west field or east field.

- Give smoke grenades to tank commanders, that is the one thing that I have always wished in the map, so that u can smoke some areas making it more harder to see. Because the tanks don't have smoke ammo, the commanders should have smoke grenades.

- Historical tanks, should be in the map. No panthers, and only 1 tiger for germans, 1 tiger spawn location in both spawns, so it can be possible to have 2 tigers at the same time in play.

These are just ideas that I would like to see, but I don't mind if nothing comes out of these suggestions, 2000m view range and smoke grenades is what I wish for the most if u can add these you will make one orel tanker happy. =)
no no :confused: 1 tiger on orel and no panthers:rolleyes::confused: are you crazy no one will play the map any more

Upvote 0