• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Corpse smeshes?

TheClosedPistachio

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2006
Drunk
I know, a rather morbid suggestion.

One thing I think is missing in RO are static meshes of corpses to litter the battlefield.

I'd like to see someone make several realistic corpse models, maybe some disfigured or dismembered.

For example:

Some that are black and bloated as happens to bodies as they start to decompose, usually in a few days.

Soldiers talked about how bodies froze in winter in all sorts of grotesque poses.

Civilians as well as soldiers.

I know it sounds sick but I'm not a psycho, I swear!!! :D

Dead bodies would, of course, litter a place during a battle. I think one of the most memorable things for a soldier is seeing his first body, so I think it should be represented. Also, along with dismemberment(which we have) serve to further show the horrors of war. Particularly, if you see dead civilians.

Again, only suggesting this for realism and not simply for sick voyeristic pleasure. :p

Last edited:
I doubt you'll see TW do this as it would probably cause problems with the "reduced gore" versions, if you get my point

Ya, good point. However, maybe they can make non-gory dead bodies, just a player model in different "death poses". Maybe with a bit whiter skin texture.

Someone else would have to custom make the really gory ones. If someone is so inspired, I can provide websites with "reference" pictures if they can stomach them(I know, gross :p )

Upvote 0
I think tw should ship some authentic rotting flesh to everyone who plays, so you can put it right next to you moniter and smell war. gasoline,charred flesh, burning rubber, burning dung, burning children are extra $$$

About dead civilens, hell the US army's video game has civis that you can kill, though you get penalized, so allready dead civis shouldn't add any controversy.

Upvote 0
Well, tripwire could add only non-excessively gory dead soldier models.

Best solution to get gory and civilian bodies is probably from a customizer.

How about charred bodies a la HL2 for destroyed tanks and stuff? That sold well in europe, didn't it?

If you browse thru the "horrors of war"(caution:graphic) pics at Panzerworld.net you can see some of what I'd like to see in RO, esp the Panther pic.

Also, didn't I see a russian propaganda poster in some RO map with a pic of a dead baby on it?

How about a Dead Baby petition? :p (oh comeon, it's Halloween!)

Upvote 0
Point is, we're playing a game. You want it to play realistically, but you don't want it to feel like a real war, because war is not fun.

I mean... (I know this is a bit of a slippery slope argument, but whatever) the game's set during the holocaust, too. Do you want to see evidence of that in-game?

No, I don't think anyone does, because that would be sick. There is a time and a place for understanding how horrible war is, but it's not in a game.

Upvote 0
I agree that having plain bodies of soldiers, as static meshes, would be a good addition, but having them being really gross looking and having civilian corpes would be going over the line when it comes to video game ratings.

But I'm not totally against the idea, it was war, and war had bodies and gross stuff and thats the truth of it. I think this is a great suggestion and I would like to see all of the above, mostly because so many other games just skip around the subject like it didn't happen, even to the point of having a tiny bit of blood as a taboo subect.

But then theres also a point I havent seen mensioned yet, we have the ability to select the amount of gore in the game options allready, all that would have to be done is have a couple more levels in gore intensity added and also add the ability for a parent to set a code to lock the higher levels of gore. It wouldn't be hard to just turn the option to a lower level if you were starting to get grossed out or just plain dont want to see it, it wouldn't be hard at all.

That way we would be able to keep the game rating a little qwelled and it would make many people happy to have the ability to lock the feature, but then it would still allow those of us who want the more realism to be able to see how terrible war really was, if we wanted to.

I for one would like to see this part of war shown because it was such a huge part of the war, each soldier had to deal with it, and also because of the fact that we would be reminded of the past helps teach us and prevent us from making the same mistakes.

Thats just my two cents. . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you said it, each soldier had to deal with it.
My grandfather had nightmares untill he died.
He wasn't able to forget (or to really cope with) those pictures.

As you pointed out it would be more realistic, but would you have fun playing a game that felt so realistic? All those personal catstrophies portrayed in game? Maybe shatter around pictures of your beloved ones or letters around your corpse after you died? Maybe include burning and shrapnell effects of close by explosions?...
For me it would be disgusting.

If you need a game to teach you that what happened was a tragedy that should not be repeated, well then "Hopfen und Malz ist verloren".

Upvote 0
As you pointed out it would be more realistic, but would you have fun playing a game that felt so realistic? All those personal catstrophies portrayed in game? Maybe shatter around pictures of your beloved ones or letters around your corpse after you died? Maybe include burning and shrapnell effects of close by explosions?...
For me it would be disgusting.

You make a good point, but I wasn't suggesting about it at that depth, the core idea doesn't say anything about it having to be personal when an in-game character dies, the core idea was to just have some more bodies laying around to add to the atmosphere. If a little extra gore is going to ruin the game for you, then you can turn the gore down like I suggested or just uninstall the game if you dont like it that much. Besides, if you think your going to end up like a real soldier with nightmares and everything because of a video game, then you must not be playing RO, or any game for that matter, because most games allready have a huge amount of gore in them.

Most single player games allready do these things and more without any argument, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Doom3 have tons of bodies laying all over in many levels, the origional Unreal has bodies that are cut in half at the waist and some bent up in weird shapes, Rainbow Six and Uber Soldier added pooling blood puddles that come from the dead bodies, Grand Theft Auto not only allows you to see dead civilians, but it also allows YOU to be the one to kill them, not to mension that the games of today have allready moved on from simple death animations to full ragdoll physics which were made especially for dead bodies.

Currently RO not only has ragdoll physics, but you can blow off limbs and create huge blood splatter on both the level and the character, which is much more than most games have, but after all that you guys think its a little excessive to just have a few bodies allready lying there, its not going to traumatize you to see some bodies with a little gross texture on them and just because a few have civilian clothes doesn't mean were singleing out any individual or insulting any group who died in reality.

I really think that most of you are just being too wary about this because of how TheClosedPistachio said it was a morbid suggestion, as if killing people in a video game world isn't allready morbid in the eyes of many people, but were still here, were still playing the game and having fun with it, and just because some of us may want a few extra bodies lying around doesn't mean were all going to get traumatized.

Lastly, I want to admit that the last paragraph in my previous post didn't make the best point, a video game isn't a place to learn about the Halocaust and other trageties like that. But having stuff like that wasn't the origional idea anyway. The difference between the whole Halocaust and a few random bodies is quite large.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I never said that I fear to get nightmares or traumatized, I only said that that is what happened to many being in the war.
I simply do not see a sense in shattering some bodies around a map.
For me it would make more sense that the corpses of killed soldiers remain than adding some new bodies.

Upvote 0
My dad told me of a story about when he first saw his first dead body. He was serving in norhtern ireland with the parachute regiment at the time, and in 1989, some of the troops under his command, while out on patrol in their landrovers, were blown up by a roadside bomb. He went to the site where it had happened, and in a bush on the side of the road, saw a pair of legs sticking out, boots and combat trousers still on. He went closer, and saw that the entire body, from the waste up, had compltely dissapeared. The other soldier, the driver, had been completely blown to pieces, as he was on the side the bomb had exploded, and the soldier on top cover, had been killed by the explosiojn, but not disembered in any way.

What im trying to say is, that this sight was the biggest thing he remembered from his time in the army, and something he regretred seeing.

Therefore, as RO is only a game, noyt a complete simulator, you cant go putting bloated boddies and hacked up civialians, as in real life this does cause very large problems and is a serious issue. Just leave it as it is atm, you dont want it to become too real.

Upvote 0