• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mortar Teams (Merged Again)

The_Cook

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006
Heya another idea

MORTAR TEAMS!!!!!

make mortors a deployable vehicle that infantry can use.
Basically something that can be carried like weapon, but when dropped or deployed people can "get into it"

Make it so that if one person is "in it" ROF is really really slow
if two "in it" kinda okay
if fully manned with a crew of three "in it" ROF is at optimal

position one is the loader, position two is the gives you ammo guy, position three is the spotter.

Make it like the mg where other infantry can give it ammo
Make mortars historically accurate so people have to manually dial in ranges and everything.
Make only one mortar per team at any given time (that way you don't have alot of people ****ed off the assault manning 3 mortars and you don't get mortar cheese either.)

Mortar would be a good addition to RO for bothsides because it will promote teamwork all around. You would have the spotter to call in visible targets, and then you would have other teammates around the map calling in for mortar support and then reporting where you hit and dialing you in.

I had an idea for mortars myself. Have it so one person carries and aims it and the mortar and pistol is all he gets. Then make it so ANY other person can sit beside a mortar to reload it. The Mortar carrier gets one or two rounds, and every person who sits by him can give him one round every couple of seconds. I figure this way you could have a rifleman pair up with the mortar carrier and the mortar carrier is the "gunner" while the rifleman effectively acts as the "loader".

Upvote 0
Maybe if the maps were ALOT bigger and there were ALOT more players, i would agree.

The scale of many of the battles is way to small to warrant having actual players using mortars. Maybe if there were 32 or even 64 players a side on large maps then I would be in favour of it.

There simply aren't enough players to have 3 per mortar and still be able to have a proper game.

Having mortar fire called in 'off map' i would be in favour to see for maps where standard artillery would not be available.

Upvote 0
Is that so? Tell me then, could you do it? Think of all the coding, the animations. TWI isn't a giant mega corporation.

easily.

we already have artillery ingame, use the same sort of system for artillery. Make the mortar get set up by one person, and then it counts as a "vehicle", where another one can enter and use.

Animations would be the big thing for sure, though.

What kind of mortar did the russians use? I know the germans had a 81mm or 80mm mortar, if the russians used something smaller they could be a faster firing vs the harder hitting

Upvote 0
Actually, both sides had access to 50mm light mortars that had maximum effective ranges of around 500 meters, which is small enough to be allowed in a lot of RO maps.

The size of the explosion wasn't very large, of course. A little bit larger than a grenade would be sensible. Also, the 50mm mortars were soon phased out in favor of the heavier 80/81/82mm variants as developed by every nation in the war. By 1943, 50mm mortars weren't used much anymore.

For the purposes of this game, of course, you should be allowed to use them no matter the date. They were essentially a longer-range rifle grenade. Rifle grenades also being something I want to see in-game.

Indirect fire weaponry would emphasise the use of cover and careful tactics. Maps would need to be designed with their use in mind, although a map like Ogledow would be perfect already for indirect-fire weaponry in my opinion.

50mm mortars could be carried by a single person. After all, the Russian variant only weighed approximately 11.5 kilograms; the PTRD weighs 17.3 kg. Perhaps it could be required to deploy near an ammo resupply point or something to that effect.

Even letting a regular rifleman infinitely resupply a mortar would probably be alright. The mortar-man would be the only one who could aim and fire the mortar. If he is set up near an ammo resupply point, he can reload the mortar by himself. If he is in the field then he would require a teammate to resupply the mortar for him.

An 'ammo carrier' class might be easy to implement. They'd be armed only with a rifle (no grenades), and could either select five boxes of machinegun ammunition or 30 mortar rounds. For added fun, the mortars might also be able to fire smoke shells. 30 HE rounds and 2 smoke shells would probably be sufficient for both sides.

I'm not sure if those ammo loadouts are realistic, of course. I'm not even sure if 50mm mortars could fire smoke shells at all.

I'm just suggesting a slightly unrealistic way to implement a realistic part of World War II. RO models company-level combat. That is, a group of roughly 200 people fighting against another group of 200 people.

At the company level, both the Germans and Russians had a rather large amount of mortars present. Especially early war, when the light 50mm mortars were common.

It's just a part of the war that I feel should be present in RO.

(I really love indirect fire weaponry. And Hetzers.)

Upvote 0
Guys, we are too limited in the number of players who can join a game to think about add support weapons. Artillery pieces and mortars are best abstracted in the current form of the "Artillery Barrage" game mechanic than forcing a few players to fill the role, and thus reducing the number of players "on the frontline" even further.

If we can ever get 64 players per side, then I'd totally support the idea of adding support weapons. Until then, we just don't have the manpower for them to be practical.

Upvote 0
I think the 5 cm Granatwerfer 36 could easily be added to the game. It could be carried and used by one person. Have other people be able to give them ammo like the machinegunners. It had a max range of around 500m which fits in well with the game.

5cmlegr36.jpg

I'm sure the Russians had a light mortar as well, though I can't recall the designation at the moment.

Upvote 0