• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Some screens

Quietus

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
California
So here's my map. It's still a WIP so lighting, little details, wheather (there will be rain) and loads more things still aren't done. I don't want to give too much away so here's just some shots of a couple of areas:

I'll tell that it's in Poland 1945, Russians will get a tank so HE shells into windows will be the Germans worst nightmare. Also there will be no German Manpurse agents destroying the Russian tank as that's what the Panzerfaust is for! Satchels are realistically only used (or good) against structures. Also there will be no crying about the absence of the PPD40 and mp41 (only for German Comm) as I'm trying to keep it somewhat plausable. Maybe a month more before I'm finished.

it looks nice, but too clean and empty. No destruction, No traces of fleeing people from the frontline, no signs of life.
The reason there's no destruction is because it's yet to see a battle. The premise is it was initially taken earlier in the war by the Germans with little resistance from the common townfolk,..only now as the Russians push through Poland to Germany has it ever seen battle. As far as the "too clean and empty" like I said, not done yet.

Upvote 0
you should try to break up the walls more so it doesnt get so repeatative. example: http://s07.picshome.com/view.php?image=/e66/shot00712.png
I know what you're saying. The only reason that particular building goes such a long stretch without an entrance is because it empties out on the sidewalk and due to it's elevated entrance requierments (required by me at least) I'd have to put stairs right on the sidewalk which would not work. It's entrance/exits are on the otherside as seen in the other pic of it.

Upvote 0
Urban maps are notoriously difficult to pull off effectively - a simple stretch of building with a repeating texture will look out of place if the architecture isn't broken up even just a little bit

Kudos for attempting it though

Lruce
Yeah tell me about it! (the urban maps being hard to pull off) *whew* especially when I'm making most of my own textures & some Static Meshes too and time is limited. It really gets hard to keep at it without being overwhelmed. That long stretch of apartments is the longest stretch of building without an entrance or doorway so the rest have appropriate entrances at determined intervals that look realistic.

Upvote 0
I know what you're saying. The only reason that particular building goes such a long stretch without an entrance is because it empties out on the sidewalk and due to it's elevated entrance requierments (required by me at least) I'd have to put stairs right on the sidewalk which would not work. It's entrance/exits are on the otherside as seen in the other pic of it.

Recess the entrance. It a was pretty common feature on the buildings I saw in poland.

Upvote 0