• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with tweaking respawn times for it to be balanced, but to use the current respawn times to downgrade the possibility of making the tanks more realistic is a horrible idea.

Now your just beeing silly, who on earth suggested such a thing?

Its pretty simple, if you change something, it will have an impact on the whole, so further tweaks will allways be needed to make the whole picture work.

In this case, giving the Germans a realistic Tiger without giving the Russians their realistic counters to said Tiger would obviously end in disaster, 42/43 maps would be unplayable, with the Germans winning every time or very clouse to it, only 44/45 maps would be enjoyable.

You cant have one without the other.

No, it ISN'T balanced now, no tank map is 'balanced' at all, but it's left up to the players to overcome that to win the map.

Ohh but it is, not a solid 50/50 balance, but the Germans have a small advantage on early war maps, and the Ruskies on late war maps as it is right now, the end result is both teams can win.

However with the new PZ IV comming, late war maps will be clouser to a 50/50 balance than ever before, as the Germans are getting stronger, and thats a step in the right direction, its both realistic and good for balance.

However, if we do make the Tiger into the super tanks that so many people want it to be, without doing anything for the Ruskies, we are neither helping balance nor realism.. mappers will be forced to put IS-2's on their 1942 map or have it ruined gameplay wise, because we have no SU-85's or SU-152's.

You cant just add stuff to a game like this and hope it works out, it could break the community for months as maps become unplayable, people would flee tank servers because the games are either unwinnable for one side, or your left with only a few maps that are late war, and getting played to death as a result, and getting boring.
You have to be smart about it, a games community is its life blood.

In close ranges like that, the T-34/85 would be almost on the same level as the tiger (always depending on the situation), and the IS-2 is better then the tiger in almost every situation...

Say what? the T-34/85 is nowhere near the Tiger, its a medium tank, the Tiger a heavy, and the Tiger can dust it two kilometers away, the T34 must get within hundreds of meters to have a chance.
No, the Tigers real nemisis is the IS-2 and SU-100, and ofcourse superiour numbers of 85mm guns, but then we are talking late war only.

Early war we need SU-152's and SU-85's if the Russians are to have any chance against a Tiger, and even then its a fight biased in the Germans favour.

And now that draw distances can be further than 1200 meters, new maps will definately get bigger, and the 88's will be lashing out at the enemy from long distances away, making the issue of balance on early war maps even harder.

And saying the IS-2 is "better then the tiger in almost every situation".. i hope you are not meaning right now, because its a death trap currently, just one shot to the drivers hatch and it explodes into a million little bits.
If your up against a German gunner who knows what he's doing, you are safer sitting in a T-34 at the moment.

Upvote 0
I think these people are just interested in pushing the envelope of realism and accuracy rather wanting gameplay tweaks like you are suggesting. Please make your argument for weaknesses and rarity, be specific so it can be discussed rather then trying to dissect other people's minds.

Perhaps a longer than normal respawn time along with maybe a finite amount of respawns, 3-5(?), for all heavy tanks(including IS-2's where applicable). When heavy tanks are gone, play continues with plentiful medium tanks/SPG's.

Someone should try this and see how it actually works for gameplay.

I'm definately in the realism>balance camp, in terms of equipment and vehicles. I think they should be represented as faithfully to the orginal specs as possible, "balance" be dammed. Balance can then be achieved in the actual maps with layout and reinforcements, etc.

After all, this is our only chance to experience things as a real ww2 tanker would. Therefore the vehicle should be as realistic as possible, like if you climbed into the real thing and operated it. Thus, game companies that strive to make a realistic WW2 game should think of it not as just a game, but a historical testament. :)

I personally like maps where one team is at a disadvantage, because it's more fun when it's a challenge.

But it's not an "either/or" suggestion as you can have BOTH types of maps, ones that balance everything perfectly and others that stick more with realism.

I would like to suggest to Tripwire to have a 50% ratio between perfectly balanced maps and realistic maps, where careful attention is payed to reflect actual historical loadouts and numbers on the battlefield in terms of vehicles and men, and as little creative license as possible is used.

It's a bit dissapointing when the most realistic and epic maps are those created by the community and not officially by Tripwire(yet). Especially since they probaly have more access to historical sources than the average schmoe.

I think you can please everyone, but by providing more choice not using creative license to unrealistically "balance" gameplay/equipment, especially on maps based on a specific battle(e.g. Arad)

P.S. Really agree with Grobut's post also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm definately in the realism>balance camp, in terms of equipment and vehicles. I think they should be represented as faithfully to the orginal specs as possible, "balance" be dammed. Balance can then be achieved in the actual maps with layout and reinforcements, etc.

This is what I meant by my earlier post. Yes, we should make ALL of the tanks as realistic as possible, but then we need to balance maps by looking at other things like reinforcments, numbers, and map layout.

Upvote 0
People you argue there is nothing, you argue on quantity of angels on a tip of a needle.
1. The quantity of the made tanks means nothing. It were necessary to count how many time these tanks in fight.
It depends on tactics of using of tanks. ->Fighting losses.
Opportunities of repair services. A resource of mechanisms of tanks.-> Not fighting losses. Total of serviceable tanks.
2. The armor and shells. Different types of shells serve for the different purposes. Different types of shells work on a miscellaneous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only way to truely "balance" and keep realism is to add tanks that were in the battle at the time and give the Soviets numerical superiority. As well as adding roughly the number of Tiger I tanks that servered in the peticular battle. seeing how the Tiger I would be a limited resource it would inspire more tactics and teamwork to keep them alive throughout the battle. In very early maps(1942) the Soviets could use artillery to kill Tigers since it works pretty well on BlackdayJuly.

Upvote 0
in the update the max view distance has been increased from 1000m max to 4000m max. now we can have tank battles at 4km away...

which is where the tiger will even make the t34 85s **** their pants..
Yes but that does bring up new problems, you now have to learn how to shoot at those ranges and while a T-34 is going 40kmh so I think we're all going to have to pratice our long range targeting. :)

Upvote 0
The only way to truely "balance" and keep realism is to add tanks that were in the battle at the time and give the Soviets numerical superiority.

That would be great, but how? i belive its said that for every Tiger, there where 10 T-34's opposing it (not 100% sure about thouse numbers, its been a while, but in that range certainly), how could we possibly make that work with only 32 people? and still have enough slots left over for each team for supporting tanks and vehicals, especially with the zone capture system in RO, where numbers will allways insure the capture.

Upvote 0
So Tripwire making the Tiger 'like how it was in the war' will make the game MORE unbalanced or balanced? I seem to remember a certain thread about the PzIVH and how the current PzIVF2 wasn't strong enough. (Even though the L/43 cannon was on the PzIVG which is basically a F2)

So what about the Soviets in the 1942 and 1943 maps? Are they tough out of luck because the Tiger can respawn just as fast as a StuG or PzIV AND has the added bonus of being near untouchable unless it is flanked by multiple Soviet tanks?

Some of you just want all the good side of the Tiger tank, while casually looking past the things that made it rare/weak.

More unbalanced, more balanced? What? What relevence does that have to the PzIVH?? But as for the PzIVG being a F2, it wasnt. It had a different muzzle break and greatly improved frontal armour.

Soviets in the 42 maps don't have to worry... not even 100 tigers were produced by the end of 42, but in 43 they had no real counters except numbers. Drenching the russian spawn area with extra t-34's won't fix anything really, but a tiger might should respawn once for every 3-4 t-34's spawned... thats the closest thing to giving the russians superior numbers that would work as far as i can see.

And Grobut, i'll tear you apart tomorrow. Right now i'm freakin tired...

Upvote 0
More unbalanced, more balanced? What? What relevence does that have to the PzIVH?? But as for the PzIVG being a F2, it wasnt. It had a different muzzle break and greatly improved frontal armour.

It was an obvious response to you telling us the game is 'unbalanced' and I asked if Tripwire made the Tiger like 'how it was'; would it make the game MORE unbalanced or more balanced. You seemed to have missed the OR in my sentence.

The muzzel brake seen on PzIVG were the late models outfitted with the newer L/48 cannon. But this wasn't done until much later in 1943, but by then the Germans have the PzIVH. Also the bolted on armor was often seen on the late models, rather than the ones seen in 1942. Thus, an F2 is basically a G but if you want to get picky about it; a G late model is much more like the H. :rolleyes:

Soviets in the 42 maps don't have to worry... not even 100 tigers were produced by the end of 42, but in 43 they had no real counters except numbers. Drenching the russian spawn area with extra t-34's won't fix anything really, but a tiger might should respawn once for every 3-4 t-34's spawned... thats the closest thing to giving the russians superior numbers that would work as far as i can see.

1943 saw the introduction of the SU-152 and SU-85. Both are more than capable of handling a Tiger on its own.

Upvote 0
1943 saw the introduction of the SU-152 and SU-85. Both are more than capable of handling a Tiger on its own.

ISU-152 arrived in 1944, pretty late in the year too. SU-85 was not really capable of defeating Tiger on its own. Only in packs, flanking and taking heavy losess. SU-100 on the other hand... was whole different ball game :)

Upvote 0
I said SU-152, the ISU-152 is a IS-2 chassis with a 152mm cannon on it.

Sorry my bad... :eek: ... Yes, SU-152 (KV-14) was taken to field trials in the Jan - Feb of 1943 and mass production started right after the trials. I need to read all letters before i post hehe. Was the only weapon that could defeat Tiger at all distances.

Upvote 0
Why is there so much talk of "balance" It seems I am playing dod:S!! What ever happened to realism?
Next thing you "balance people" want is "balanced" maps rather than real maps and all the tanks in game would be exactly the same but with different meshes for the opposing sides.

The Germans had better tanks than the Soviets but the russians won due to numbers, production, and Germany's inability to fight a long war since they were only prepared to fight a short war in Russia and try to conquer it before the US got involved. So because Im all about realism why not give the Soviets their numerical superiority as I said above but please do not "balance" the game. I Like haveing tanks that behave differently than each other and real battle maps!
If this game were totally realistic then the German s would be putting up on heck of a defensive in late war maps but since I do know this is a game and people live for wins just make the Germans win late war maps but holding out rather than capping objectives unless the battle was actually won by the Germans then the standard drive the Soviets back would work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now your just beeing silly, who on earth suggested such a thing?

Its pretty simple, if you change something, it will have an impact on the whole, so further tweaks will allways be needed to make the whole picture work.

In this case, giving the Germans a realistic Tiger without giving the Russians their realistic counters to said Tiger would obviously end in disaster, 42/43 maps would be unplayable, with the Germans winning every time or very clouse to it, only 44/45 maps would be enjoyable.

You cant have one without the other.

Tweaking respawn times to have the common ruskie tanks spawn a lot faster then the German not-so ruskie tanks? Oh and what's silly about that? You are unclear, and sorry my original point remains.

Ohh but it is, not a solid 50/50 balance, but the Germans have a small advantage on early war maps, and the Ruskies on late war maps as it is right now, the end result is both teams can win.

However with the new PZ IV comming, late war maps will be clouser to a 50/50 balance than ever before, as the Germans are getting stronger, and thats a step in the right direction, its both realistic and good for balance.

You cant just add stuff to a game like this and hope it works out, it could break the community for months as maps become unplayable, people would flee tank servers because the games are either unwinnable for one side, or your left with only a few maps that are late war, and getting played to death as a result, and getting boring.
You have to be smart about it, a games community is its life blood.

I wouldnt call small advantages. The T-34 is the best tank in the early war maps by far, and they're pretty common. So that comes to a russian armoured advantage

Then there's late war, Panzer IV's, a tiger, and a panther vs. T-34/85's, and 1-2 IS-2's equates to another Russian advantage. Unless we're talking about the custom maps where the Panther's are the majority, then it's a nice German advantage.

Oh, and tank maps arent as popular as infantry maps anyway... and you're worrying too much, it seems you just don't want to see realistic opponents that did in fact have superior equipment in fear of dying too often. Realism please.

However, if we do make the Tiger into the super tanks that so many people want it to be, without doing anything for the Ruskies, we are neither helping balance nor realism.. mappers will be forced to put IS-2's on their 1942 map or have it ruined gameplay wise, because we have no SU-85's or SU-152's.

A super tank? No, it was never a super tank. It just dominated armoured combat up until 1944, without any real worries other then the T-34/85, and even that failed to match it. The Only real counter the russians had, was numbers. Thus having it so 4-5 T-34's spawned in the place of one Tiger, and maybe 1.5 - for every Panzer IV/Panther, that would bet the closest thing to a counter you could realistically get... But to have a downgraded Tiger such as there is in game right now (hell all armoured combat is downgraded), is not a good plan. And no, i don't have a problem with a couple SU-85's for 1943+ maps or SU-152's for 1944+ maps... although the Su-152 wasn't, again, a tank destroyer. But SU-76's should also be more common then they are now, they were like flies on the battlefield.

Oh, and sticking a IS-2 on a 1942 map would ruin it gameplay wise, and give the ruskies a huge advantage.

Say what? the T-34/85 is nowhere near the Tiger, its a medium tank, the Tiger a heavy, and the Tiger can dust it two kilometers away, the T34 must get within hundreds of meters to have a chance.
No, the Tigers real nemisis is the IS-2 and SU-100, and ofcourse superiour numbers of 85mm guns, but then we are talking late war only.

Early war we need SU-152's and SU-85's if the Russians are to have any chance against a Tiger, and even then its a fight biased in the Germans favour.

And now that draw distances can be further than 1200 meters, new maps will definately get bigger, and the 88's will be lashing out at the enemy from long distances away, making the issue of balance on early war maps even harder.

NOTICE HOW I SAID IN CLOSE RANGES LIKE THAT. In closer ranges like Konigsplatz, as i had stated earlier, the Tiger and T-34/85 are on even ground... The combat is under 500m, and the 85's turret traverse rate, if in a dead even situation, would bring it's gun to bear first... unless the Tiger was smart, and just swiveld the whole tank.

And no, the SU-100 was not the tanks nemesis... the SU-100 saw most of it's action in 1945, when the tiger was largely already superseded by the Tiger II. And the IS-2 was also kept in check by the Tiger II and nearly matched by the Panther.

And as the for the SU-85 and SU-152... the SU-85 came in the final months of 1943, while the SU-152 came in even later in 1943. They are by no means 'early war.'

AND there are no 88's in early war maps... where are you getting your dates??

And saying the IS-2 is "better then the tiger in almost every situation".. i hope you are not meaning right now, because its a death trap currently, just one shot to the drivers hatch and it explodes into a million little bits.
If your up against a German gunner who knows what he's doing, you are safer sitting in a T-34 at the moment.

hitting the tiny drivers hatch at 1000m is easier said then done, and what i mean is the IS-2 historically was the Tigers better, although the Tiger was still capable of taking it out...

It was an obvious response to you telling us the game is 'unbalanced' and I asked if Tripwire made the Tiger like 'how it was'; would it make the game MORE unbalanced or more balanced. You seemed to have missed the OR in my sentence.

vehicle to vehicle balance isn't an issue here. The Tiger would be meaner of course, and without the IS-2 the russians would have something to worry about. As for balance, it would depend on the map of course.

LATE 1943. The SU-85 was about as able to handle a tiger as a t34/85, so no it wasn't a toe-to-toe match for the Tiger. The SU-152, was an assault gun... Again, it was capable of taking out heavies such as the tiger, but it wasnt designed to do so. And the penetrating power of the 152mm gun left much to be desired,

109mm at 30 degrees from 100 meters, 99 at 1000 meters, and 89 at 2000 meters. And low-velocity (the SU-152's muzzle velocity was actually pretty good for an assault gun, i'd call it medium velocity) assault gun shells have a habit of arching horribly, instead of going nice and straight, meaning it hit the enemy armour, especially vertical armour at nice steep angles. The Tiger was also superior to the SU-152, but then again the SU-152 was designed as an assault gun, not a tank killer. But, the SU-152 would indeed have a nice chance at killing a tiger... depending on the situation.

The muzzel brake seen on PzIVG were the late models outfitted with the newer L/48 cannon. But this wasn't done until much later in 1943, but by then the Germans have the PzIVH. Also the bolted on armor was often seen on the late models, rather than the ones seen in 1942. Thus, an F2 is basically a G but if you want to get picky about it; a G late model is much more like the H.

The PzIVG incorporated a new muzzle break without the new gun... The PzIVG carried the L/43 gun with a new muzzle break, and nowhere have i ever read it being equiped with the long L/48 gun, you must be assuming things. The PZIVG was the first in the series to incorporate armoured skirts as well, around the turret. And although many of the early PzIVG had the plain 50mm armour package on their front hull, many starting mid+ production started to incorporate additional 30mm armoured plates bolted to the front as factory issue, and as for the ones already in the field, they too were issued the additional 30mm armoured plates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
speeking on the terms of realism, the tiger 1 had room for 90 shells, many tanks have been "nefred" down ingame as to how many tankshells they take with them. i would like to see this set to its proper levels as its really quite annoying on big tank maps when you outa ammo and know in rl you would have another 60 shots...

(also another thing that could benefit the tiger is having a faster reload, the bigger turrent meant more people inside it, and from what ive heard it reloaded alot faster then it does ingame.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.