• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Current Roleselection system

The_Cook

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006
Heya, I have a nice computer with a fast proccessor and a bunch of ram. That gives me the privilage of being able to pick the role I want at my leasure. I try not to be a prick about it but sometimes when I feel like it I can be the sniper or mg every map for as long as I want to. That said.

I think there should be a lottery system put into place so that when a new map starts there is a 60-120second period where people get to choose what roles they want to start with. Are given thier numbers and then the computer just puts the winners of each class into it.

Each position would have to have it's own seperate lottery
Each player can choose as many positions as he wants to and be given a number for each
Computer rolls for each position
winners get put into those positions
if a position allows for multiple people another roll is made excluding the winning numbers until the position is filled
losers get stuck where there is room (rifleman
round begins.

I know it would be a ***** to implement, but currently the power resides with those who can afford it, and unfortunatly there are some because of thier slower computers have never had the chance to play mg or sniper cause of it.

I say 60-120 second grace period only cause if your computer can't load RO maps in that time you might want to consider upgrading you cheapskates =)

No.
All of you the people (low end or high end machines) must come to a conclusion that you are NEVER going to have the same gameplay experience...
If you cant play the game,dont try to change,either stop playing it or stop whining...

mm.. I dont know if I got u right.. but wasnt it so that the OP actually said that His computer was Hi end and that he thought is was unfair that those with lo end should not get to choose weapons?
That means that the OP didnt whine...

I think most people are negative to this idea, cause they have fast computer and want the MG and sniper for them selves haha

Its pretty logical and fair that lo-end and hi-end should have the same rights.... The lo-end puters not only have to deal with worse graphics but ALSO have to play with a weapon they dont want?

Common.... stop being selfish people... Its bad karma..

Upvote 0
I think this idea has some merit to it, I dont think that the procedure posted by The_Cook would be the best way to do it, but I understand the problem he wants to help solve.

Persoanally I believe this problem has more to do with the hard to obtain classes such as the Sniper and somtimes the Combat Engineer, and I think a solution could be applied to just those few classes.

Now I know many of you with faster computers probably never experience this problem, but just because you few never have to deal with it doesn't mean it's somthing that wont need a little tweaking.

For me, my computer is just fast enough that I have the pick of the litter when it comes to classes, except the sniper, its allways the sniper that gets taken first and I've only used it online a small handfull of times.

Most of the time the sniper class is taken by someone who doesn't know what their doing, I very rarely see good snipers which is why I would want to take the class away from them because I know how to use it properly. Half the time I never see that person who has the sniper class, and the other half of the time that guy is running into the heat of battle like every other soldier. (This is just MY personal experience with that class.)

But asking them to change so you can use their class isn't a good excuse to denounce this problem, I have never had anyone say "yes" when I've asked them polietly to change classes, why would they want to change? If they are a good sniper then they would want to keep the class because they are doing a good job, if they are a bad sniper who playes with the class like a MoH or CoD player then they dont see themselves doing anything wrong, and thus they dont want to give the class up either, but if they just got the sniper class because of this very problem then they wouldn't want to give up the class because they want to get as much time to practace with it as possible.

I believe for the important classes (such as Sniper, Tank Commander, Squad Leader and Combat Engineer) there should be a simple prodecure that will randomally choose one of the few people who want to use that class, so it will be more random than who has the fastest connection.

But I had another idea that I would prefer instead. I think that for those specific important classes the players on that team should be able to vote to move a player to a different class, in case they are being a terrible sniper or they are laying bad artillery as a Squad Leader.

But because I know that the sniper isn't everything, I dont believe that this problem is a top priority, but it should be looked into at some point after the more serious problems are dealt with.

Upvote 0
Isaak Johnson said:
Most of the time the sniper class is taken by someone who doesn't know what their doing, I very rarely see good snipers which is why I would want to take the class away from them because I know how to use it properly. Half the time I never see that person who has the sniper class, and the other half of the time that guy is running into the heat of battle like every other soldier. (This is just MY personal experience with that class.)

i dislike the way you think there. how should they become better if they dont get a chance to practice it?
mean everyone has started once, and prohably even you where once the guy with no clue.

Upvote 0
the only problem ruprecht is that sometimes you depend on that class, and if they are just learning, it would be better if they played a round or 2 against bots first. i lost 3 straight rounds of berenzinia because our tankers were all noobs, they dident know where to go an what to do, ON TOP OF THAT they werent willing to listen. im okay with most noobs learning along side me, as long as they are willing to accept tips suggestions and constructive critism. most of them just say "skrew u i know what im doing" when they are really clueless....

Upvote 0

But asking them to change so you can use their class isn't a good excuse to denounce this problem, I have never had anyone say "yes" when I've asked them polietly to change classes, why would they want to change? If they are a good sniper then they would want to keep the class because they are doing a good job, if they are a bad sniper who playes with the class like a MoH or CoD player then they dont see themselves doing anything wrong, and thus they dont want to give the class up either, but if they just got the sniper class because of this very problem then they wouldn't want to give up the class because they want to get as much time to practace with it as possible.

I believe for the important classes (such as Sniper, Tank Commander, Squad Leader and Combat Engineer) there should be a simple prodecure that will randomally choose one of the few people who want to use that class, so it will be more random than who has the fastest connection.

But I had another idea that I would prefer instead. I think that for those specific important classes the players on that team should be able to vote to move a player to a different class, in case they are being a terrible sniper or they are laying bad artillery as a Squad Leader.

But because I know that the sniper isn't everything, I dont believe that this problem is a top priority, but it should be looked into at some point after the more serious problems are dealt with.

ehehe, that can because it's a person who doesn't get to play sniper often, or just a rich person who can't play. =) As for the class vote kick thing, i don't know, on one hand I think it's a good idea.... nevermind it is a good idea cause the votekick option is very rarely used also, so there wouldn't be a problem with abuse. But at the same time, what if the person just needs practice? The reason why I posted this thread was because I would like to see a less capitolisitic way to distribute classes that who has the most expensive computer. IF I really really wanted to I'm sure I can lock out sniper for a 24hr period on a server for myself. The poor have as much right to fun as the rich.

Upvote 0
Another way classes can be distributed can be through kill to death ratio. People with highest k/d ratio get the pick of the litter.
each server would have to keep it's own record of k/d and check against that for the player id

It's not as sociolistic as the lottery system, but it should appease the "uber" gamers out there. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it cause again, I would be able to lock out the sniper or mg, or what ever I want as usual =)

Upvote 0
For those having long load times, follow the suggestions in this thread: Red Orchestra Unnofficial Tweak Guide

Even when I had a measly 512 MB of RAM, after I followed the suggestions there my load time dropped significantly. I was often the first one on the map.

Particularly useful are setting your cache size and turning off pre-cacheing.

I think the system is sort of OK.

To give people a chance I will always swap guns if someone wants the sniper rifle. :)

Upvote 0
Teq,I was reffering to everyone,cause I've seen a lot of these threads...
Why is it being selfish spending 2500$ on a machine and then getting random weapons like everyone else?
If I invest big money in something,its normal I get better stuff then the people who dont;I myself have a mainstream comp and manage to get the sniper about 60% of the times(if I want to that is)...

Upvote 0