• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which Team Do YOU Support?

I'd like to see whoever made this statement suit up for just one play, and move the ball a yard...

I rarely, if ever, hear Americans bashing soccer (excuse me futbol) or rugby.. I wonder why the rest of the world likes to pick on American football. No one says anything about Baseball, Hockey, or Basketball...... but noOOooo, mention American Football and the world unites to take a piss. Its a good sport, and can be really intense at times... just like soccer, rugby, or Australian rules Football.

Did anyone see the Falcons/Steelers game this Sunday? Awesome back and forth match.

Ever heard of John Cleese?

Upvote 0
Well to contribute to the American Football vs. Football (or Soccer as I know it):

-As for the name, it's not like we came up with it. So stop yelling at us for the name, that's just how we've been taught.

-American Football is much more tactical than most sports. Most sports are quick observations combined with simple tactics. Soccer and Basketball are two very simple sports in comparison to American Football. In Soccer and Basketball, all you do is drive down a field/court with a ball while dribbling it and then make a basket/goal. Both involve the simple actions of passing and shooting, and involve little thinking or strategy. American Football has many complicated formations and involves using some serious tactics to trick the opponent or at least catch the opponent off guard. If you looked at an NFL (National Football League, the official league for American Football in the US) Playbook you would be confused out of your mind. I don't even understand them that well sometimes.

</rant>

Upvote 0
Well to contribute to the American Football vs. Football (or Soccer as I know it):

-As for the name, it's not like we came up with it. So stop yelling at us for the name, that's just how we've been taught.

-American Football is much more tactical than most sports. Most sports are quick observations combined with simple tactics. Soccer and Basketball are two very simple sports in comparison to American Football. In Soccer and Basketball, all you do is drive down a field/court with a ball while dribbling it and then make a basket/goal. Both involve the simple actions of passing and shooting, and involve little thinking or strategy. American Football has many complicated formations and involves using some serious tactics to trick the opponent or at least catch the opponent off guard. If you looked at an NFL (National Football League, the official league for American Football in the US) Playbook you would be confused out of your mind. I don't even understand them that well sometimes.

</rant>

Umm, no. I don't think soccer strategies are neccesarily simpler than American Football's. It's a simpler sport in essence, yes. But the tactics and strategies can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. That's the beauty of the sport. I know some soccer coaches who draw X's and O's as nerve-destroying as my Calculus problems. And some coaches can keep it very simple yet effective.

Besides, you can't judge the complexity of strategy by the amount of figures scribled on a pad. Football coaches can create complex plays because there's a stoppage between each attempts and the players can take predefined positions. Basketball and soccer are much more flowing sports that require players thinking tactics right on the spot. There might be less X's and O's but much of the stategy is told verbally and the players are required to draw on experience and make decisions "live." For American football players, once the play is chosen, they have very little freedom to make compromises if a wrong play is called or something goes wrong. Great soccer and basketball playmakers are just as valued and respected as any of the great QBs in football.

I'm not saying one sport is better than the other, or one of them is more strategic and "smarter" than others. All of them are entertaining sports with its own sense of sophistication and style.

Upvote 0