• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dogs! (Merged Mutt Discussions)

The suggestion of dogs driving half-tracks makes me think of my old friend Toonces.

dogbye.jpg

Upvote 0
Dogs! (Merged Mutt DIscussions)

Dogs! (Merged Mutt DIscussions)

Some legit reasons for including dogs:

Anti-tank dogs
, also known as dog mines, were starving dogs with explosives harnessed to their back and trained to seek food under enemy tanks and armoured vehicles. By doing so, a small wooden lever would be tripped, detonating the explosives.
The anti-tank dogs were successful at disabling a reported three hundred German tanks. Eventually the Germans began using tank-mounted flame-throwers to ward off the dogs.

A Russian war dog was sent to deliver a message during the battle of Stalingrad. The dog travelled for about 10 kilometres and was wounded nine times during the trip.

Really, the only potential problems here are:

A.) No one likes to shoot dogs.

and

B.) Would the dog be a controllable avatar? E.g, would you spawn as a dog, or would you basically deploy them as their handler?

Upvote 0
Yep. This will look pretty stupid if not implemented correctly. But, it can be.

As for the argument that this has been discussed, try telling that to the machinegun people.

Just because stuff has been talked about doesn't mean that it isn't valid.

One small problem. The Soviets dropped the mine dog plan pretty fast, once they noticed that their dogs would often run under their tanks. And I truly believe their are more important things to look into like the armour system or the machine guns. Sure something like 300 were taken out, but after that small mess up were a bunch escape and a whole division had to retreat the Soviets stopped using them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like a neat idea, but I would only suggest somthing like this for a single player game, and that only the AI enemies could use them.

The only reason I can see for adding dogs into the multiplayer is to give atmosphere to the game, such as an AI dog thats tied to a fence, but even then there is almost no point.

Upvote 0
Some legit reasons for including dogs:

Anti-tank dogs, also known as dog mines, were starving dogs with explosives harnessed to their back and trained to seek food under enemy tanks and armoured vehicles. By doing so, a small wooden lever would be tripped, detonating the explosives.
The anti-tank dogs were successful at disabling a reported three hundred German tanks. Eventually the Germans began using tank-mounted flame-throwers to ward off the dogs.

A Russian war dog was sent to deliver a message during the battle of Stalingrad. The dog travelled for about 10 kilometres and was wounded nine times during the trip.

Really, the only potential problems here are:

and

B.) Would the dog be a controllable avatar? E.g, would you spawn as a dog, or would you basically deploy them as their handler?

The only way I can see dogs being useful is if they are given to a squad leader. The Squad leader can deploy them to stay at cap points to guard. When the enemy (but not friendlies) comes in visual sight of the dog it starts barking. The bark is a warning that can tell the team that the cap point is being taken.
This would replace the current "magical" flashing cross on the map when enemies are capping. I think this is a better idea. If the "guard dogs" gave the warning, it would be up to teh squad leader, and give the squad leader more responsibility and even more useful of a role. If the squad leader is an idiot and leaves no guard dogs, then no warning for the cap.

Upvote 0

believe me, people that have been thru battles for long times and saw many people die and killed some to. well they don't think like normal people anymore, they lose all moral reflection and sense of ethics -> so they can kill pretty much anything that lives in the most cruel way possible...

the time and effort it would take to implement such a extremely complicated thing, should be spent on making other necessary improvements.

Upvote 0