• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Range finder

Maus

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
www.norml.org
Ok, for the sake of the devs and the people in game, place range finders in vehicles/AFV's that actually used them. For use by the commander...

The StuG, for example.

That should clear up some of this bickering about what can kill what and at what ranges blah blah. Or, give that bickering some fuel...

Anyway, rangefinders, somewhere in game.... please.

Ok, for the sake of the devs and the people in game, place range finders in vehicles/AFV's that actually used them. For use by the commander...

The StuG, for example.

That should clear up some of this bickering about what can kill what and at what ranges blah blah. Or, give that bickering some fuel...

Anyway, rangefinders, somewhere in game.... please.

Read the Historical Tactics guide the devs put out. WW2 tanks werent equiped with range finders, the German tanks had the peaks on the sight to help but thats it. In the case of teh Stug it was make using and Arty piece which werent equiped with any range finding method. The operater saw the vehicle then had to turn a nob to adjust the range.

Upvote 0
Aye I acted too quickly when posting this thread. Just tired of all this *****ing about tank A being killed at range ### by tank B and everyone complaining. I'm sure rangefinders could have some implication in game, and it would help to clear up some of the range issues in maps like orel and arad.

But if it's not realistic, don't model it. I need to research rangefinders more, because - and i'm not sure where - I heard that some AFV's apparently had rangefinders. This is very possibly wrong.

If it's not realistic, don't model it of course.

Upvote 0
Well, you can use the little number that appears on your bottom right while in the tank sight screen. It tells you at what range your gun is set at. (You use the 'lean' keys to set range)

Using that, you can tell roughly how far youre shooting. It's actually pretty easy in RO to guess ranges on the fly.

All countries used basically the same design since WW1. The WW2 German rangefinders looked like this:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cf1d3dz8c6671b9/8201/__sr_/0c65.JPG?phQaZOFBH9xDLlJm

http://www.collectrussia.com/sBoot/sextant&rangefinder.jpg

image20.jpg

The german scissor telescope also had limited range finding ability. You see them used often on Panzers.

Upvote 0
In theory, one can use mil-relation (the little wavey triangles). However, I thought I remember someone saying that the mil measurements were off in game, but don't quote me on that...

The US Army says
You should be able to identify armored and wheeled vehicles from 1,500 to 2,000 meters with the naked eye. If you can see the vehicle well enough to positively identify it as a tank but cannot determine the model, it is between 1,000 and 1,500 meters.

not that it's too relevant, because the maximum range viewable through the engine is only around 1000 meters.

Upvote 0
I wish the devs made a manual on the ranges and a video of it too.

read the historical and tactics guide the devs put out. The sections on tank combat (section 3 and 4) they tell you how to guess ranges using the peaks on the gun sights.

I would read the whole thing as it does help but just range estimation is 3.3.1 (page 26) the guide is in the download section under manuals

Upvote 0