• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will RO mods affect RO ?

I had asked that question a while ago and the consensus was that mods will help RO (if they're good that is) in that people will buy RO just for the mod , just as many purchased HL for DOD and UT for RO when they were mods.

They also may split the player base too as some will want to play RO while others the mod. Happened with DoD and DoD:S , BF2 and it realism mod , BF42 etc. etc.

So , in summary , Tripwire might be happier but the die in the wool RO player may not.

Time will tell.

Upvote 0
I installed steam and my account to download RO for my friend and try and brainwash him out of twitch fest...

That failed... he lacks patience...

So... I am hoping that DA is Really Good...

That way, He can get RO for DA... and when he gets tired of DA... he might try out RO... (He isnt a bunny hopper thank god...)

Mods make this already great game greater.

Upvote 0
Mods usually dont impact games in a bad way, its payware expansions that split communities, or new versions of games that are very different from their origional.

Usually, you only see mods taking over if the origional game they mod is bad, a good example is CS, normal Half-Life death match was pretty tame, and easilly bested by the likes of Q3 and UT for that kind of multiplay at that time, add a popular mod like CS to a base like this, and you'll find most people want to play the mod and not the game.

But add mods to a good base, like RO, and people will mix and match, playing both.

Upvote 0
I installed steam and my account to download RO for my friend and try and brainwash him out of twitch fest...

That failed... he lacks patience...

So... I am hoping that DA is Really Good...

That way, He can get RO for DA... and when he gets tired of DA... he might try out RO... (He isnt a bunny hopper thank god...)

Mods make this already great game greater.
just keep up with the patience there brutha, i bought my bro the game 2, but he dident like it that much at first. he plays it a bit more now.

Upvote 0
Mods may split the community. I choose for example a sim game like R-Factor(known for its small very active fan base), there are so much mods that servers are half empty. And leagues are even split once they ask what kind of championship they'll do. Some prefers one-seat, others GT, and others classic vintage cars.

I would have prefer a 'Community Expansion Pack' instead.

Upvote 0
I think mods like Mare Nostrum and Carpatian Crosses add to the game.
From my point of view it would be very very cool if servers could flawlessly switch maps/mods automatically. So you can play Basovka right after Tobruk for instance.

I think it comes down to if those mods will have gamechanging features or not.
Only adding new uniforms, weapons and maps doesn't change the game.

Upvote 0