• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics The PRTD is useful......Really.

Someone said:
A 14.5x114 mm API round should NEVER have pierced any part of a Tiger's armour! It could damage optics and roadwheels, but never penetrate it's plate.

I posted this before somewhere else but it is still relevent to this post:

The PTRD is a single shot anti-tank rifle introduced shortly before the German invasion of the Soviet Union. Due to the rapid increase of tank armor the PTRD was soon ineffective as an anti-tank weapon although it remained in use until 1945 for use against soft skin targets and light armored vehicles. It was useless in a frontal assault, and the weapon was too cumbersome to consider stalking for a rear engine shot. Instead, against tanks it was used to target soft points such as visor screens or periscopes, blinding the crew. The armour-piercing bullet had a muzzle velocity of 1012 m/s.

PTRD Penetration:
100m 300m 500m
35mm 27mm 22mm

Armor from German tanks in game:

Tiger I Ausf E armor:
Hull Front : 100mm @ 66

Last edited:
Upvote 0
don't remember what book it was, but a red army ww2 veteran explained how he and his friend had blown up a "ferdinand" (probably an elephant) by hitting it's crew compartment and apparently causing its ammunition to blow up. AFAIK elephant is fairly heavily armoured. I can't say how often stuff like this happened, but it's possible with the short ranges of combat in RO.
That account is laughable.

Upvote 0
Wanted to make a small point....

[=KAS=]doomed and I were on Arad a couple weeks ago, goofing off. Neither of us particularly likes tank maps, so we were just blowing up enemy tanks with satchel charges, shooting each other with PRTDs, and generally being morons.:D

On accident, we discovered quite the strategy.

We both had the PRTD, and a Tiger was coming at us straight on in the South Field. doomed and I were proned behind a rock.

We fired at the exact same time - and killed it.

We tried it multiple times, and the double team really proved quite effective.

So our strategy is this - hop in a clown car, speed off to an obscure part of the map, go prone, wait for tanks, and BOOM.

Now, of course, what I just posted is akin to "More guns, more kills." This is true.

The real point of this post is trying to convince certain Russians that anti-tank is actually a useful class - you just have to employ teamwork.

So in conclusion, drink milk everyday.

ummmm...

that shouldnt happen...

The PTRD has to be overpowered. Maybe once we get some new content we can nerf it, but it's Russian infantry's only option right now.

.... no....

No offense.... but please play BF1942 instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Says the PTRD could penetrate an armour plate up to 35 to 40mm thick at a distance of 100 meters. That's w/o the Schurzen. Looking at the armour info on Achtung Panzer for the Panzer III and IV, the early models are fair game. So any map after 1942 the PTRD is essentially worthless, or should be. This thing is hideously overpowered, and should not even damage the paint on the Panther and Tiger.

Upvote 0
Jack o the Panda said:
Well you can't always make things happen with cold statistics. There are things like German steel being comparable to paper in the late war etc. And there is always luck. Everything doesn't always go according the statistics...

German armor remained high quality until 1945 although its appearence changed the quality of the armor remained unchanged.

Jack o the Panda said:
Everything doesn't always go according the statistics...

You are right the PTRD could penetrate 35 to 40mm of armor (at 100m) under ideal conditions. In real life it should penetrate under that because of conditions, range, bad ammo ect. In other words even under ideal conditions it cannot frontally penetrate even the weakest tank in game which is the PzIV F1 or F2 (armor wise) because they have 50mm of frontal armor. So by logical conclusion this rifle could not penetrate the side/rear (80mm) or front (100mm) of the Tiger I. Oh and keep in mind these so called "weak spots" are or were behind 80mm of armor (sides/rear) or 100mm (front) making them impossiable to hit via a PTRD.

Maus said:
recognize wikipedia when i see it. Wikipedia is accurate for dates and such, but NOT for statistics i have found...
Its not from Wikipedia. Its from World War II Infantry Anti-Tank Tactics, Gordon L Rottman, 2005 and Red Army Handbook 1939-1945, Zaloga, Steven J. and Ness, Leland S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing that needs to be addressed is that the PTRD didn't blow tanks up. If it did penetrate its only hope was to hit a crew member. RO needs to A: Ditch the lame hit point system and add crew deaths/crew cmpartment failure and B: regain their focus on realism. The fact that the PTRD is even hurting late war german AFVs in the game is enough to make me quit.

Upvote 0
If the PTRD is nerfed, and it should be, then the Russians need to be given some other infatry weapons to take care of tanks. Either AT grenades, molotov cocktails, AT guns, or maybe some lend-lease bazookas(though they were rare)

I read this neat trick the Russians used to take care of tanks in the city. They would knock over a wall in front of and to the rear of a tank when it reached a certain place on the street. The tank could then no longer move forward or backwards. Then you simply cover it in molotove cocktails, or even light a fire under the tank, and cook the crew alive. Or they come out of the tank and you rain small arms down on them.

My point with this story is that the Russians used some ingenious methods to defeat tanks, and since they can't use those methods in the game they need to have SOMETHING to take care of tanks.

So either the PTRD needs to be nerfed a bit(defintly shouldn't be able to penentrate the front of tanks at least) or if it is nerfed alot the Ruskies need something else.

Upvote 0
Another thing that needs to be addressed is that the PTRD didn't blow tanks up. If it did penetrate its only hope was to hit a crew member. RO needs to A: Ditch the lame hit point system and add crew deaths/crew cmpartment failure and B: regain their focus on realism. The fact that the PTRD is even hurting late war german AFVs in the game is enough to make me quit.

Or send shrapnel bouncing through the tank. Or go through a fuel tank and start a fire. (wouldn't blow the tank up right away, but that tank is still dead meat). Or knock out the optics- any number of things RO doesn't simulate which the hit point system is designed to cover in an ad-hoc way.

RO models a tank killed by any means as an "exploded" tank, just to get the thing off the field.

Upvote 0