• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Proper names for the cached files

kuebel

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
Hello. I had a hard time to find the cached custom content like the custom maps I downloaded directly from the servers. Now, some guy told me where to look and I come across this proper crappy ID system.

Why is this ID system used and if it doesn't have a good reason, could you make it display proper names instead of the way it is now?

Hello. I had a hard time to find the cached custom content like the custom maps I downloaded directly from the servers. Now, some guy told me where to look and I come across this proper crappy ID system.

Why is this ID system used and if it doesn't have a good reason, could you make it display proper names instead of the way it is now?

Good idea, but I just dl my maps from a website and put the .rom file in my maps folder, much quicker to DL than in game.

Upvote 0
What is with the UTCacheManager? Shouldn't it work for RO, too?
I will give it a try...

EDIT: Testes it, but it do not recognizes the .rom-files.
Never did something with C++, but I will give the source code of the UTCM a try, maybe I just have to change one or two words in the scripts to make it running for ROO...

EDIT2: I maybe found something, but I can not edit the files. The normal editor can not save .cpp-files.
I will try to find a program doing it.
Hopefully, it will be working after this...

EDIT3: Ok, I found a program to edit C++-files and changed the entries.
But the source package do not contains an .exe-file. And I have no clue how I can start the program with the changed file...does anyone know what I have to do?

I think I will try an other C++-editor...

Oh, and maybe someone who knows what he is doing there could look into the code - I found the .utx-strings in the file 'Profile.cpp'.
I will look if there are other files containing .utx-strings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks in advance, Rich.

No problem, wouldn't do it when I wouldn't be interested in C++.
Sadly, I didn't have found time to learn it...actually, we are learning Delphi in school, but you can not compare it to C++...

EDIT: Now I got a C++-editor with integrated compierl(Bloodshed Dev-C++, freeware), but it creates a horrible long lists of errors when I want to compile it...

EDIT2: Now wonder - was trying to compile the single file. I will try to find the file to compile the whole program with...can anyone tell me the ending of the file standing for the whole project? Is it called 'Resource Source File'?

EDIT3: I am ATM trying to compile this RSF, but it looks like when nothing would happen...
Think I will have to give up. Hopefully, someone who knows what to do can have a look at this.
As I said, the only .utx-strings seem to be in the file Profile.cpp(2 strings), haven't searched in every single file, but I just found this two.
I downloaded the UTCM from HERE.
I will wait some minutes. If nothings, I will stop it.
I will tell you when something happens.

Good night!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So.. did something happen? And can we lure some Tripwire guy in here? D:

Sadly, nothing happened - except producing looong error lists.
I asked some guys who are familar with C++ for advice, and from what I've heard until now, it is not possible for me to compile the program.
I discovered that I have to use the Visual C++ editor to open the project, but I can't compile it. Maybe because of the version. I'm using the free Visual C++ 2005 Enterprise, the author of the UTCM said that it would be compatible to 7.x and 6.x.
But I would have to buy one of these program, or get one on, uhm, a not fully legal way. What I would like to avoid.
And maybe, getting those programs wouldn't be enough - maybe I would have to write the 'headers' for this program, and I don't even know what the hell a 'header' shall be.

So, in the end, you could say this:
-I really know nothing about C++
-So, it seems to be impossible for me to change to
-We have to wait for someone interested enough into the program and familiar with C++ to do it
-Or we will use the UT Cache Extractor(Thanks for the link, MILK).

Let us hope...

~Richard_B.

Upvote 0
Download MS Visual Studio Express, it is free.
Do you mean Visual C++ Express? That is free - and already on my PC.
Produces really a nice amount of fatal errors by compiling...
Says something about a file called 'windows.h' he can not find.

But really thanks for your help, schneidzekk. It is nice to see that you guys from Tripwire are interested in the community.

EDIT: A bit more information about the error log:
Error log produced by building the UTCM: said:
------ Build started: Project: Wcl, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
Accel.cpp
c:\dokumente und einstellungen\sebastian\eigene dateien\programme\utcachemgr25s\wcl\wcl.hpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
App.cpp
c:\dokumente und einstellungen\sebastian\eigene dateien\programme\utcachemgr25s\wcl\wcl.hpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
Array.cpp
Assert.cpp
Button.cpp
CheckBox.cpp
Had to shorten it, too many chars.
UTConfigDlg.cpp
Generating Code...
Creating browse information file...
Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\debug\AppCmds.sbr': No such file or directory
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Sebastian\Eigene Dateien\Programme\utcachemgr25s\utcachemgr\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
UTCacheMgr - 20 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Last edited:
Upvote 0