• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWII books?

Are you kidding me? His memoirs actually show some of the Russians being civilized despite some of the bad sterotypes and I love how he met some villages untouched by time. The people in the villages thought the Kaiser was still in power.. I can see however how you could see this as a travel guide because he was at every nation the germans went to war with.

Upvote 0
Im telling you guys read Panzer Commander, not only did Hitler write off this theater but the British had cracked the German codes and knew bascially everything they did in Africa. The reason Rommel was so successful is because he was relentless, I think you have to be when you are out numbered in every way, catch them with their pants down.

VAder i think you have got it there m8, the Class of Rommel was HOW good he performed when all was stacked against him...... remember children that the allies had Africa so well sussed that they actually had to hold back on ops so as to not let the Axis clue in.

On topic though i have a good book here called "Rommel in his own words" to tired to get up and look for the author though but suffice to say it is in his OWN words!.......................call me a liar if you dare?

Upvote 0
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. Possibly the most memorable and important book that I've ever encountered. Sajer is an Alsation (Franco-German) enlisted to fight on the Eastern Front at the age of 17 with a logistics supply unit. He soon discovers the true horror of war and joins the elite infantry regiment Gro

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anything by Cornelius Ryan. The books "A Bridge Too Far" and "The Longest Day" are both the best historical books I've ever read. Make sure to watch the movies based on them FIRST.

You'll be amazed at how faithful to the books they were.

The best part is, they're not fiction. They're basically a collection of stories and anectodes from the people who were involved in the conflicts.

Upvote 0
Very nice Koa, can't wait to get a hold of it and read it. Also does anyone know how many books Rommel wrote him self? I know he wrote at least one...

The Rommel Papers is a book his wife and Son put together based on his diary and logs after he died, well they finished it for him I think he had already started it. However you kind of need to read that book to understand Rommel you need other sources as well. Rommel was really bad for stretching the truth, inflating numbers making things seem better or worse then they were and taking more credit then was due. So you need to read it but other books must be read as well, just avoid ones that were written within a few years of the war ending as there full of myths of Rommel. An example I'm told is a book by Desmond Young which has had several things disproven since it was published. I still say The Trail of the Fox by David Irving is the best book on Rommel

He also Wrote Attacks, it was his book on WWI infanty tactics. it was this book that first brought him to hitlers attention.
NOTE: Amazon list two versions, Attacks and Infantry Attacks

Upvote 0