• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finding cooperative tankers more easily ingame

I get frustrated when I see a tank soldier bail out of his tank just before it gets blown up because he wants to stay alive and see this guy running for my tank, gets in the driver seat and move away with my tank without even thinking about what I was doing (getting ready to fire on a tgt). I like to team tank too but sometimes you end up alone and would like to stay that way unless peaple would respect you as the tank commander if you are in the turret.

The combat lock on the driver's hatche would be a good thing after all.

This happens to me, and I will tell them to stop I have a target, they just do their own thing. I even had one guy try to shoot me out of my own tank.!!? I ran his arse over and became a Tker which is one thing I hate even more. These guys have no intention for team work or give a flip about team support, they are nothing but a game virus, and should be counted as worthless as a tker. Yikes, I did that too....well you know what I mean. :)

Upvote 0
This happens to me, and I will tell them to stop I have a target, they just do their own thing. I even had one guy try to shoot me out of my own tank.!!? I ran his arse over and became a Tker which is one thing I hate even more. These guys have no intention for team work or give a flip about team support, they are nothing but a game virus, and should be counted as worthless as a tker. Yikes, I did that too....well you know what I mean. :)

I'm telling you, last night there was a guy that was a german and all he would do is stay in the tank spawn area and team kill. He even got in a tank and shot other tanks in the rear end. He might have thought it was funny but I didn't. I have no time for these guys. I'm serious about the game and I love playing it with others that feels the same way. There must be something we could do about it but right now lots of guys are jut getting frustrated and I bet that some of them are no longer playing the game just because of that.

Upvote 0
I'm all for the TT; I'll add it to my name, too.

I'm new to RO, and have posted a few comments here and there regarding tankers in the game- mostly lamenting the Munchkin Factor that occurs when no-clue kids either spawn kill their teammates or jump in your tank and just take off on their own.

I, for one, spent a lot of time in tanks in the Army (11th ACR- Allons!) and try to play the game as realistically as possible. If I'm driving I try and keep an eye on approach routes into the battlefield and try to position myself for the best field of fire vs. coverage.

I also know that, as in real life, teamwork and communication are the lifesavers of tankers and their vehicles. Voice comm is almost a necessity (I will be getting a headset very soon) and listening to your crewmembers is essential.

I almost think a bad driver is worse than a bad gunner- bad drivers point you all kinds of ways, or just run into the teeth of those two IS2's hiding in the treeline. Worse, they don't listen worth a damn half the time: when I've got a target lined up, and I say 'stop'...it means STOP NOW. Not pull ahead so the driver can see what's gong on- it means stop so I can kill that T-34 before he gets a point-blank shot on us from us rolling slowly towards him at an angle-on...and with the driver sitting up out of his hatch, too!

I'm all for team tanking, and would love to find a squadron that goes for this on a unit basis. Lone wolves get kills, to be sure, some of the time but when a platoon wheels into action AS A UNIT the force multiplier is incredible. Four tanks working together (even if they are single-crewed) are much more effective than four 'lone wolves'.

I know it's 'just a game' but I like to play in the spirit of the thing and 'play like it's real', using real-world tactics and procedures and such. Hopefully, as I get better and master the rather steep learning curve of RO I'll find a squad that is in the same frame of mind. Until then, I'll add the TT to my name and join other like-minded tankers to mount up and go 'get some'.

Upvote 0
some people love it, but u can't tank with just anyone. must have a mic. or b really good with buttons. but i reckon u need to have both skills to do either properly. coordinating the shoot, hide, reload , angle stuff between the two is vital. sometimes on full maps [yummy yummy] u have to team tank a bit. stay with it TANKS ROK. MAKE NO MISTAKE.

Upvote 0
Haha- I've already gotten qute a few kills in a StuG III- love those rolling coffins! Especially when you can sneak in for a side or rear shot when a T34 is duking it out and has no clue you're there...I haven't 'team tanked' in a StuG yet, but having an extra set of eyes up top (or in the driver's seat) would sure be nice!

Nice post, Karl. Tell us in a couple of weeks if you've given up on this or not. Tanking just got too damn frustrating for me...I'll stick with infantry or the StuG III.

Upvote 0
Which Squadron?

B Troop, 1st Squadron, 11th ACR- I was the troop's NBC NCO and had a lot of opportunity to crew on our M-1's as we so short of tankers all the time. Of course I never got to gun on a live fire range (wayyyy too expensive to let me play) but I did load and drive a number of times on the gunnery ranges and in the field. We had a decent tank sim for training, and I spent a lot of time in that learning almost-live gunnery skills.

If you see me out there, I'll have TT tags on- ALLONS! LET'S GO!

Upvote 0
HI Karl,

Nice post and I feel the same way as you do. I love to play RO. I think it is the closest thing to the real WWII scenario. I really like to act as the gunner or to drive that tank and to play the game as serious as possible. I like to be part of a tank team when I play with people that feel the same way. Two pairs of eyes are better then one :). It increase your chance of success thus staying alive longer and get more kills. I would'nt mind to team up with you sometime. I did'nt add the ''TT'' beside my name because I think that it would increase the chance of having to put up with a non serious player, you know the ones that shoots at team mates in their own spawn areas and dont listen.

I'm an artillery man in the Canadian Forces and I have been serving for a while.

See you on the battle field.

Upvote 0
I have played RO for some months now and really enjoy it. I have also added TT to my name a couple of months ago. Now I am not the best at this game and pings can sometimes make the difference between life and death.

Anyway, I enjoy team playing on all fronts and if somebody knows what is going on, then I am more than happy to try to assist in a concerted effort. I do not get to play as often or as much as I would like due to work and family commitments, so I dont know alot of the maps as well as others. I find that even hopping into the gunners posi next to the driver can be very rewarding as you can cut down ground troopa and help to defend the tank + crew. Some blokes are really good value and most are happy to tolerate the odd stuff up. You will always find the ignorant ones and TKers in any sim. I fly alot of IL2FB+PF also and it even has its share of idiots. I do have a small pet hate that ruins the immersion at times and that is those suicidal idiots that just keep charging in throwing grenades and with MG's blazing. Yes you would have got it occasionally in RL, but not repeatedly. I have been involved in some very well organised games and I must say that you know when you get involved in one because you can actually start to sweat and change your breathing as the adrenalin starts to pump.

To me, with some good team players, this leaves the rest for dead. Thanks TW

Upvote 0
My biggest gripe about the whole 'Team Tanking' concept is that it isn't more widely observed. I completely understand that guys want their own tank, and of course they're completely welcome to it; they'll just be less effective than a crewed tank, in my view, but it's certainly a lot less nerve-wracking d0ing everything yourself.

I can't count the times I've spawned and seen an idle tank occupied by someone with TT tags on, and when I hop in I get a big fat GET OUT message, and they take off leaving guys (some with TT tags, too) to fend for themselves. If you're going to say you're a team player, BE a team player- if not, don't wear the colors!

If I'm already in a idled tank 'waiting for additional crewmembers' and someone else hops in the turret, more power to them- they just assumed command and it's their neck out there. I don't kick people out, I just ask 'where to' and follow directions; if it's the other way around I expect the same as well.

What REALL gripes me, though, is when I'm in the field, swapping licks with a Tiger or Panther and some tankless wonder jumps in and just starts driving away- usually getting me killed in the process. No asking, no inquiry as to what I'm doing- just fire it up and drive into a wide open field of fire like a moron. And then what do they do? The same thing that brought them to MY tank- they bail out the second we take the first hit! If the first hit doesn't kill you- MOVE, IDIOT and don't wait for the second shot, and try to kill what's shooting you before it kills YOU. But for God's sake, don't snake someone else's tank in the middle of a gun battle- it's not cool and it's not...well...professional. It's really one of the hallmarks of a noob to grab whatever's out there without asking.

I don't mind so much a jumper in the turret- I can always point them in the direction of the enemy and hopefully they won't totally **** at tank gunnery. But if I'm in the turret and a total jerk jumps in and starts driving, it completely throws everything off. Have YOU ever tried to line up a shot when your driver is twisting and turning all over the place for no reason? On the Black Day map I had people screaming at me over VOIP that I had a tank right in front of me- and here's my pirate driver ramming the thing and turning all over while I'm trying to get the turret oriented. Needless to say, not only did it get me killed, but it made me look like a complete prat before I could explain it wasn't me, but some no-skill driver jerking me all over the map. I'm not saying I'm a tank god or anything like that, but you experienced team tankers know exactly what I'm talking about.

In short- if you're going to Team Tank, by all means put on those tags and Team Tank- if not, don't stick them on and go Lone Wolf all the time. If a TT'er jumps in with you, don't get mad- start talking and sorting out crew assignments and such and hit the field running. If someone without TT tags hops in, still sort it out before you both get killed. OTOH, if YOU are the non TT'er, PLEASE don't jump a TT-crewed tank unless you're willing and able to cooperate. It's one thing to tag along with an infantry squad, but another thing entirely to work closely as a combat vehicle team; sadly, most people don't take the time to work on this valuable skill in tanks. A well-crewed tank can dominate the field, but a badly-crewed one (single- or multiple-crew) can cause untold trouble for it's own team, not to mention wasting reinforcements!

(I wonder if there is a mod out there somewhere that can REQUIRE tanks to have at least two in the crew- it would make things so much more realistic and more in the spirit of how RO tanks should be played, I believe.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, how about some ground rules for Team Tanking?

1. If a person has TT tags on, he should NOT be telling anybody to get out of 'his' tank, IF the other person is a TT-tag wearer also. Optional if he isn't a TT.

2. Once two TT'ers are in the vehicle- QUICKLY work out who's going to do what- with the first person in having the first pick of positions. If you can't figure it out in a few seconds, and you're the second or third person in it's upon you to get out and go elsewhere. (This is not a good option, but it had to be said)

3. Whoever is the Gunner for the tank is THE Tank Commander and he's in charge of where it goes and who gets engaged. (Hence #2, with the first crewmwmber having the option on positions in the tank.) It then falls to the Driver and Hull MG to follow the TC's directions- if he turns out to be awful, you've always got the option to crew with someone else in the future...but if he's GOLD, write his name down and hook up with him again. (Note that the same applies for Drivers and HMG's as well- if you find someone who's good in that spot, make a note of who he is and keep taking out the enemy as a crew.)

4. If you're the TT'er and you jump in a tank with someone who isn't 'one of us', don't get mad if he tells you to bail; he's not a team tank player so you should know what to expect.

5. FOR NON TT PLAYERS- if you're a non TT'er, ASK before you jump into a TT-populated tank. If a TT'er is waiting for another TT'er, he should tell you or offer you a spot; if he doesn't want you with him, so be it. Tanks are supposed to be crewed vehicles, and if you don't identify yourself- and abide by ground rules of Team Tanking and common courtesy- he has no reason to think you are competent in the vehicle until proven otherwise. Combat is harsh, and even though RO is a game some people take it more seriously than others whether its in the 'win at all costs' or the 'keeping it real at all costs' mode of thinking.

6. For dismounted tankers, if you spot a tank in the open duking it out with another tank, DO NOT jump in and drive away, TT'er or not. Obviously the Gunner has his hands full, and he doesn't need some cowboy behind the wheel ruining his aim. If you are a TT'er and jump in a TT vehicle, take the HMG slot until told otherwise- don't assume the other guy wants YOU to drive.

7. Above all, if you wear TT tags be prepared to either follow orders as a Driver or HMG, or if in the turret be prepared to take command of that tank. If you don't feel comfortable as TC, TELL your crew and let someone else take the slot. Remember, it's not about who gets to stand up in the wind- it's about how many kills the tank AS A WHOLE makes against the enemy.

8. Remember, there is no *I* in TEAM TANK. Be prepared to work AS A TEAM- if you dont' work as a team, just rememebr that TEAM spelled backwards is MEAT...just what you'll all be if you dont' work together.

Upvote 0
I totally agree- you SHOULD be able to rely on your teammates. Unfortunately, today's gaming world isn't populated with very many team players; it seems to be filled with Rambo Runandgun types who could give a damn about what happens to the team as ong as THEIR score is high. Fortunately for us, the RO community is acutely aware of the problem, it seems, and most people seem to be willing to take steps to eliminate these 'in-game evildoers'.

As for the tags, until we can somehow work the RO community into a true community of team players we have to have SOME way of identifying 'us' and 'them'; so far, the TT tags are the best suggestion I've seen posted.

Of course, in dedicated units/clans, it should be a given that everyone there is a team player and when playing AS a unit there should be no need for such identifiers.

*sigh* or are we to just resign ourselves to playing on private servers where some sort of discipline can be enforced?

How about people who don't want to co-operate with their team mates just go and play CS:S instead? Or at least don't choose the tank crew class, tanks are supposed to be manned by 2 or 3 people.

I'm not putting TT on my username at all - people should be able to rely on their team-mates, end of story.

Upvote 0
There is a "me" in Team Tank....

Only if you destroy the 'Team' leave half of it out...

I do agree there is certainly a place for the individual in a tank crew- being a crewmember doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your own game enjoyment at all. This is precisely the reason why ALL members of a crew who are IN THE TANK when a kill is made should get credit for the kill.

If I'm in the turret and I know my driver is a better gunner I'll gladly switch places, because I know the right people in the right position can make that particular tank that much more effective on the field. And, depending on the situation in that particular battle, if I've got a not-so-good driver I'll take the time to try and teach him a few things along the way instead of simply abandoning him to get killed off and possibly leave him so frustrated he leaves the game completely.

OTOH, if I'm driving- particularly out of spawn- and the gunner starts hosing people with coax and main gun, I'll tell him in no uncertain terms to STOP. If he continues to act like a fool, I have no qualms about getting out and taking another tank, or even abandoning him in the middle of nowhere. Or maybe I'll simply stop and refuse to move until he gets his act together. If he wants to satchel me or whatever, fine- he gets credited for yet another teamkill and I get to respawn and get back in the fight without him.

Upvote 0