• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IGN's Readers Rate the Top 99 games of All Time

I cant believe that Secret of mana was so far back, it was much better than A LOT of the games listed better than it.

Same goes for all the other "true" classics

How the hell did god of war make the top ten? Its just a run of the mill slash em up.

I still cant believe resident evil 4 made number 1, thats a load of crock.

At least the classics made it: secret of mana, final fantasy 3 (us), earthbound, super mario rpg, the legend of zelda: a link to the past, chrono trigger, final fantasy 7, and super metroid.

Upvote 0
I didn't know IGN fans were being payed aswell!

Some (IMO) extremely odd choices.

Prince of Persia (84)
Starcraft (74)
Brothers In Arms (Shouldn't even be in the list)
MGS2 (68, rated lower than MGS3, hmmm)
Shenmue(67, should be way higher)
Call of Duty (63, It was a very fun game for it's time)
GTA3 (59, this is in my top 10)
Grim Fandango (57, WHAAAA?)
Rome Total War (43)
Super Mario 64, it isn't even in the top 10
MGS (15, another, a top 5 game IMO)
Goldeneye (13, one of my top 3)
Everygame in the top 10 apart from Soul Calibur and Zelda: Ocarina of Time shouldn't be there.

Upvote 0
Given it's a reader choice thing, i guess I can't complain to much.. but the list doesn't hold alot of salt with me..
- multiple games of teh same franchise that have little differneces between them.. sorry.. but there really wasn't that much a difference between GTA3 and Vice City imo. as 1 example.
- there's way heavy console representation
- in a 'of all time' the list is very slanted to the current generation of games..
- there isn't a single mention of ( Wasteland | Fallout | Fallout 2)

as an aside.. the list linked in the first post is from 2005

this is the 2006 list, and they are only up to top 40 or 50 today.. (more tomorrow): http://top100.ign.com/2006/index.html

Upvote 0
Given it's a reader choice thing, i guess I can't complain to much.. but the list doesn't hold alot of salt with me..
- multiple games of teh same franchise that have little differneces between them.. sorry.. but there really wasn't that much a difference between GTA3 and Vice City imo. as 1 example.
- there's way heavy console representation
- in a 'of all time' the list is very slanted to the current generation of games..
- there isn't a single mention of ( Wasteland | Fallout | Fallout 2)

as an aside.. the list linked in the first post is from 2005

this is the 2006 list, and they are only up to top 40 or 50 today.. (more tomorrow): http://top100.ign.com/2006/index.html

Thanks. I edited the link in the first post.

Upvote 0
All the people voting on there are kids who're attracted to sparkly things... Not to mention they're just not old enough to know any games other than the current crop. That said, I think a lot of us are seeing the "classics" through rose coloured glasses. Sure, there are some that were genre defining and definitely deserve to be in the list, but most old games, no matter how great they were back then, are just crap by today's standards. Even taking into consideration the mountains of generic rubbish we see churned out by the big publishers.

In my greatest games list I'd be including Deus Ex, Half-Life, System Shock 2, Monkey Island (1, 2 or 3. - 4 was crap), Starcraft (some may disagree, but it set the RTS standard for YEARS and is still played by a huge number of people) and Baldur's Gate, to name a few.

Upvote 0