• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

As requested: Pz IV H - and update news

Awesome, new tank, new unknown vehicle, new unknown map.

You guys down at Tripwire are THE BEST!!

But now that everyone has discussed the new vehicles and map allready, what small changes/bug fixes will we be seeing, or what do you think they will be? Because I doubt they are going to release this update with only three items on the list.

I cant wait, any chance of an early release if I'm good? :p

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by seppdietr
i noticed that adding big tanks( king tiger, su 152...) on a map actually forces the opponents to build out a strategy and play tactically!

And you happened to pick the biggest map going as your example.
The majority of maps are too small for the real heavy hitters.

I'm one of several people who would wouldn't mind see the JS-2 taken out.

my point is that big tanks could be a great addition to typical armor maps like orel. i never said they should be added to infantry maps, where they would be completely useless anyway. since the optimal range of such tanks is mostly beyond those maps limits anyway.

btw, could the new map be the one where the pzIV screens were taken? or is that just orel??

Upvote 0
lol, King tiger!!!

the one tank that should never be in this game for many reasons

one, nothing "should" be able to kill it. During the course of the King Tiger's service in WWII none have ever been penetrated. Only way a King Tiger has fallen is because of mechanical failure or it became stuck

secondly, in this game the king tiger would have to be killable, and even I would be pissed that a satchel charge, Pfaust, or PTRD could even scratch it, let alone any russian tank able to penetrate it.

Know in your hearts you german fanboyz that the King Tiger is just that the King, and to model it into a game would unbalance it if left accurate, or ruin your favorite tank for the sake of balance.

Edit
Apparently russians have killed a couple of king tigers in an ambush situation

New statement, no king tigers have been killed due to penetration on the western front

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1.The King Tiger could be killed but not from the front(from the sides ect.).
2.The Panzerfaust (200mm of pentration) should be able to kill any tank in the game in 1 direct hit yes even the King Tiger although the Soviets should never have the Panzerfaust!
3. A stachel should only disable or kill it if placed on the tank not thrown around it as was the case for all tanks.
4. The only tanks currently in game that should be able to be killed by the PTDR is the PzIIIL ,PzIV f2 PzIV f1,and the StugIII f/8.

The other vehicle is probably Russian so I hope its an alternative to the "clowncar"(ba-64)
if its a tank I hope its the T-26 since it was russia's most common tank(1941-1942 maybe 1943 even) until later in the war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i noticed that adding big tanks( king tiger, su 152...) on a map actually forces the opponents to build out a strategy and play tactically!

Having a heavy tank around makes you a global target for all enemies, especially enemy tankers. Good example of this is Konigsplatz:

When you move around with your Tiger, almost every Soviet tank that have spotted you or their teammates have complained about it you have soon quite few tanks hunting you right on the spot.

Technically this could be used that you show your heavy tank, everyone starts to hunt you while these "weak" tanks\Fausters will have good time trying to destroy them from sides or rear.

Good example with this was with Ogledow once, I was in IS-2 and we were in slightly open area and shot one german tank. Ok, nothing so special but after that 3\4 of axis team started to rush hill as we had to move in there since every hostile started to shoot us and later, as mentioned, 3\4 axis team just rushed hill because we were there with IS-2.

Finally when we got destroyed they lost their sudden interest with the hill :rolleyes:

And you happened to pick the biggest map going as your example.
The majority of maps are too small for the real heavy hitters.

Agreed. Even though it is not impossible to use them at close range, it would just leave to the point that "GIEV MORE TOYS!" and in next point we have almost everything used during WWII at our hands :p
PS: There

Upvote 0
During the course of the King Tiger's service in WWII none have ever been penetrated. Only way a King Tiger has fallen is because of mechanical failure or it became stuck
Incorrect. There is plenty of photographic evidence of Tiger II's shot up. Correct, however, in that there was no tank gun mounted during the course of the war that could penetrate the front of it - same for the IS-2m!

Tiger II is defeatable - but it has to be done from the side or rear. Just makes the tactics of defeating it very important :)

And now - back to the topic :)

To repeat: yes, the schuerzen will stop a panzerfaust round, disrupt AT rifle rounds and may give some slight added protection against main gun rounds (but primarily because they will cause the round to yaw, rather than removing any significant amount of energy!)

Upvote 0
40% chance it's the KV-2, 20% chance it's the BT-7, 20% chance it's the Tiger II :(

I say that about the Tiget II due to Wilsonam talking about it in the present tense rather than saying 'it WAS defeatable' (unless that's because Wilsonam lives in ww2-armour based version of 'Dreamtime' where normal time doesn't exist - admittedly not an entirely unlikely possibility :p)

The Russian tanks are both models that have already been worked on and so either would be a nice 'quick fix' like the IV-H which is also a pre-existing model (see the 3D section)

The IV-H could be slotted into existing maps such as, oooooh, I dunno... mebbe Arad and Ogledow ;) the BT-7 would fit nicely into Bondarevo, the KV-2 is a bit more problematic and would prolly be in a Kursk-based scenario or an early-war one.

I hope its the T-26 since it was russia's most common tank(1941-1942 maybe 1943 even) until later in the war.

I'd have thought it was only the most common until about the end of week 1 of Barbarossa, during which prolly about 90% of them got pwn't or broke down :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Field Marshal Rommel
2.The Panzerfaust (200mm of pentration) should be able to kill any tank in the game in 1 direct hit yes even the King Tiger although the Soviets should never have the Panzerfaust!
you should do a little research about battle for Konigsberg and all other major late war assaults of german strongholds. There were special units in SA, assault troops (Sturmoviki RVGK) to be exact, which fought in every major city of Eastern Europe. These troops had really gigantic amounts of panzerfausts. They had used them not only against armoured vehicles, but also as a modern-day RPGs.
*7GA* Nestor Makhno
the KV-2 is a bit more problematic and would prolly be in a Kursk-based scenario or an early-war one.
If i remember correctly, during Kursk battle (or is it only Prohorovka?..) there were very little to none of KV-2. KV-2 would rule during early war, and so much, that there would be tens of new petitions to nerf those bolsheviks. :)

Upvote 0
Never again shall I doubt Tripwire. The frequency and depth of these updates impresses me greatly. The new IV should be wonderful!

As for the Tiger II, that tank would be a badass on the battlefield that's for sure. But then again, they were in reality too. Besides mechanical failures, the other thing the game can't take into account is airpower. Many, many German armored vehicles were destroyed due to Allied air supremacy on both fronts. Just look at the early days of 1945 in Germany where you'd have a single Panther holding off an entire Soviet armored column in a city until the Soviets bombed it (I'll try and find my source for that particular incident. It was in the book Armageddon by Max Hastings).

Ah, and as for the KVs, well, we shouldn't see any. All the "better" KV variants were really the IS1s. And the KV-85 was never made in significant numbers to warrant being put in game.

Upvote 0
major late war assaults of german strongholds. There were special units in SA, assault troops (Sturmoviki RVGK) to be exact,

That information is sketchy at best and there was or is no hard evidence that the Soviets did in fact use the Panzerfaust. Even if they did they did as you said your self at the very end of the war and in small numbers that it has no place in Ro.
I say small numbers because look at the German Panzerfaust kills even at the end of the War in Berlin they were quite impressive and numerous but where are the accounts of the Soviets using panzerfausts from German tankers and soliders? Were they used as much as the German used them there would have been many accounts of it not just some sketchy information that suggests their use.

World of Guns said:
Recognizing the need for a man-portable, short-range antitank weapon, several armies during WW2 developed a new kind of weapon – the antitank grenade launcher. These weapons fired specially designed projectiles (grenades) with HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) warheads of significant diameter (caliber), as the effectiveness of the HEAT warhead is directly related to its diameter and the weight of the explosive charge. The first such weapons achieved service status in 1942-44 with American, British and German armies, as the M1 Bazooka, PIAT and Panzerfaust / Panzerschreck respectively. The Soviet army adopted its first antitank grenade launcher only in 1947, and circa 1961 it adopted probably the most famous, effective yet simple weapon in its class – the RPG-7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0