• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire ever consider Modern Day?

The_Cook

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006
Has Tripwire considered doing a modern day style RO? Something for us guys that would love an alternative to Counter-Strike, BF2, and Rainbow Six?

I love RO it's the most "Realistic" of the shooters to date. Rainbow Six had it for a long while, but then RO came along. I wouldn't even need tanks or vehicles in a modern day RO. Maybe a humvee here and there but no tanks. Make it take place in Iraq, or some made up "desert" country. With maps that encompass a few city blocks. Intracate interiors for houses, the abillity to blow open doors, lock doors, unlock doors, claymores.... basically Rainbow Six and SWAT4 toys, BF2 style city maps. If you leave out "heavy armor" maybe you can take the unused cpu to really flesh out body armor and it's effects, or richochet, and stuff. Just a really good infantry based fps.

I can't play CS:S, BF2, or Rainbow Six anymore because they feel way to arcadey, I need a replacement!

Last edited:
I'd actually start playing America's Army again if they had a server option to get rid of the crosshair. I would probably even play it more then Red Orchestra.

Battlefield 2 ****s because of it's cone of fire. Iron sights in that game are merely a mask of the crosshair. After the first two bullets, your shots go everywhere BUT where the iron sight is.

Insurgency is a game I've been looking forward to since January this year. The devs on the INS team are way too secretive about media and **** though so I haven't been following it much lately... not that there is much to follow anyways. This doesn't mean that I can't wait for it to come out anyways.

RnL looks like it's going to be some competition for RO.

Upvote 0
I don't know how games like ArmA call themselves the ultimate simulation of combat when they have crosshairs. The first step to a realistic video game is dumping the crosshairs and making it with iron sights only.

Hopefully ArmA will have an option to ****can the crosshairs, or whatever you want to call the thing in your HUD.

OFP had this said option so i would be suprised if ArmA didnt.

Upvote 0
The crosshairs in that game are quite realistic, though. It's split into two parts: the first part is where you want your gun to point, and the second part is where the muzzle of your gun actually is pointing, independantly of where you want it to point. The second part follows the first part around closely, but it twitches and jitters along with the gun.

Upvote 0
A Vietnam first person shooter of the calibre of Vietcong but with less "walk down the thin corridor of jungle blowing up caches as we go" maps.

More free-form and random.. do you find the VC cell's camp or don't you.. do you get ambushed or do you go through a whole patrol without any contact. Do your position get probed during the night? Do you get naded in your sleep while your hole's watchman is out taking a piss?

Basically I want Vietcong + Operation Flashpoint.

Upvote 0
I find vietnam to be quite a saturated thing too. Sure it's never been done perfect, I'm tired of being an American soldier. I want to be a frenchman in world war 1, or a Korean in the Korean war, or be part of a resistance group during a major conflict, or a napoleonic soldier, or fighting in the spanish civil war. But I think the odds of seeing games set in these area's are much less likely to be made because there is no clear defined "Good Guy - Bad Guy" in the eyes of your average joe who knows nothing about the period.

That's why RO appeals. Nobody had made a FPS based on the eastern front in ww2. And a new theatre is a chance to learn a whole new set of stuff about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
America's Army

America's Army

I don't know how games like ArmA call themselves the ultimate simulation of combat when they have crosshairs. The first step to a realistic video game is dumping the crosshairs and making it with iron sights only.

Hopefully ArmA will have an option to ****can the crosshairs, or whatever you want to call the thing in your HUD.

You can turn off crosshairs in AA in Settings.

As of the most recent version of Americas Army, you can also drive the Humv and use the Crows AT missile against armor.

For modern realism there is no game better.

Upvote 0