• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics German MGs!

The single one biggest misstake I see people that use the german MGs (specially the MG42) do on a daily basis is to fire to long bursts. Just tap the fire button reaim tap the fire button reaim. This will give you a 3-5 bullet long burst every time and make you put them relativley controlled into a spot.

Also don't expect to be a killing machine with a MG use it for surpression giving your team mates breathing space to advance or make the enemy think twice (wich gives your team a extra sec or two) before corssing the street to that next objective.

Also if you stay in the same spot for too long you will be outflanked or naded or the enemies will use team work letting one guy out as a decoy while guy number 2 and 3 take you out.

And now I will say the thing that I know alot of people on this forum will lash out at me for:

As long as you keep firing (remember short and controlled bursts) at a guy hiding behind cover the chances he will actually kill you from front WHILE YOU ARE FIRING are very small. I will not lie and tell you I never get killed from front by a guy with a rifle while I'm firing at him but that is very rare.
Most times I get killed from front is when I'm NOT firing when I get a hemorrage and think my reactions will help me getting him before he gets me when he pops out or when I'm reloading/changing barrle without going into better cover.

Now I know I will probably get a bunch of you guys after me saying "lol you nub you **** I do it all the tiem!!!11!", well I say you lie.

Upvote 0
For the Soviets, it was just hand out the LMGs - "like a rifle, comrade, but fires more!"
haha, i can realy picture it infront of me!

anyways: i have a feeling that the MG42 spreads (like a crosshair in BF2 or any other game) when you go prone, and then closes up. One particular situation that happened yesterday was that i was running over the rubble on Gretchi-something-square in Oddessa and i suddernly saw russians coming out from the apartments. I hit the dirt and deployed and just let loose the mayhem since it was only 20-30m to the door where there was 3 riflemen. But even though i must have fired 40 bullets strait at them, i did only HURT one (that i could see) and killed none, before i got shot.
And sometimes when you shoot just one short tap from a hot barrel you can see the traiser going away to no mans land. Just as if you would have a "random" aim/crosshair that you cant see.
Is this true? Anyone else have the same experience?

Upvote 0
Well, tracers are always not very accurate, so it wouldn't surprise me if the heated barrel made it even worse. As for not hitting people when they are 20-30m away, that just sounds like bad luck. I seem to be able to hit people from good distances with them as long as I have enough time to set up the shot.

Upvote 0
I am mostly mad that people dont agree the German Mg fire is way inaccurate for thsi game!!

Absolutley without pause i can mow people down at extreme ranges with the russian MG. Just shoot and then while holding down the fire aim the sights on the target. This is almost the opposite of what should happen you should aim to make you first shots accurate not the last shots.

Why have a WW2 game with german Mg's that are basically useless??

Dont get me wron I use them all the time and do damage but when you compare to the russian Mg there basically is no comparriosn.

No one is scarred of german MG fire in this game its stupid! you can shoot the german Mg with a russian smg just about everytime. and the german sare like what the hell is this.

I do remember the MOD days and the geman mg was changed from 3.1 to 3.2 and i noticed the russian went more accurate.

what good is a ww2 game when the german MG's are shiat????????

the firs bullet dosent go where it is aimed........

how can you miss someone 5o feet away when they are in an alley and cant escape it happens all the time the ground around some one butsts into dust from the mg fire yet he shoots back with a burst of smg fire andyou die.

and I am not talking about shooting once and missing and crying about it. i am talking about shooting every freakin g burst pattern you can think of and the enemy is laughing like you cant hit me.

I am dissapointed I will still use the german Mg's but they are still way flawwed and everyone knows it so screw you all that dont agree go back to russia

Upvote 0
I just reread the posts and just to prove my point everyone has a fix or something to say other than its simply flawed or uneven . what are you all communists??? The german MG is much much flawwed in this game.... over and over through and through it simply is flawwed.

I can actually agree that sometimes it seems real except when you miss a guy 30 feet away that you just simply cant miss. i can also agree the russsian Mg is way too accurate sometimes I litterally dont even have to try at extrem ranges just hold down the fire button and litterally the 35th round hits them it dosent matter. The russian Mg is actually more accurate when you hold down the fire and then aim it. I am not joking its retareded!!~@!~@

But when the russian gun is so accurate even to 1000 yards or more. its rediculous. I can shoot a dot on my screen at 1600x1200 with the ruskie every time. not this and that situation i can do it everytime.

Make the ruskie Mg less accurate or else it is just flawwed there is no discussion about you are in the wrong spot, or its only good for groups of pwople, etc bull**** the german war machine was based on accurate MG fire for 40 years where the hell is it in this game?!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
But that is where I disagree with you they are enormously accurate, as accurate as a rifle on the first 2-3 shots (actually the single fire on the MG34 seems to be bugged I can agree good for me I never use that function)

I have been accused for causing crusades etc about this issue and I know alot of you disagree.

But I stand by my view that:

YOU have to learn how to work the MG, the MG does not do the work for you.
YOU have to learn that aslong as you are not actually firing at a position where a enemy rifleman/SMG is hiding behind cove you are back to rifle basics, if you expect to out gun on reactions alone as he pops up or leans out around the corner you might aswell chose a rifle because then you are just wasting the MG slot.
YOU have to make sure not to rest in the same spot for to long, because just the fact that people think they can be in position X for all eternity just because they have a MG makes alot of MGers easy targets because when I get killed and go back to the same place again I know exactly where to shoot

Either you give up and blame the game or you practice and learn it.
What do you want, instant gratification or skill aquired by practice and the satisfaction knowing that you play well because you have worked for it?

And I will repeate you don't necesarly have to have a top score to be a good MG, it's not about your frag count. If you just cut off the enemy from an area just for a couple of seconds you have given your team mates that little window of time they need to get into the cap zone and set up possitions or whatever.
That is the MGs role both in this game and in most armies. Believe it or not most people you play against on servers are reluctant to pass that street if they know there is a MG there in a hard-to-get-possition, so what if they decide to take you out before crossing you stalled them anyhow.
Now if your team uses this window of time to do something useful or not is another discussion.

Will TWI ever change the way the MGs behave?
I have no idea and I don't care I will learn to deal with it, but it's not needed. If they make them easier to use, good for me more kills less work, and millions of post complaining about the

Upvote 0
I think tapping with 42 is really a bad idea. The ironsights move around while tapping so much that you finally lose the feeling where you're firing at. Always use 1-3 seconds bursts. Also, if you squeeze the trigger, it becomes more stable, use it. 34 is such a crap that I hate using it, contrary to mod.

Adapting is a good thing, but I'd like more realistic behaviour from my weapon. Then the ones on the receiving end should adapt :)

Upvote 0
Alright. I tried the Russian MG (DP-28) and did pretty well with it. I found a good spot, and due to the accuracy, was easily able to mow down my targets. It was basically like a rapid fire sniper rifle.

Now I try the Axis MG-34...I **** with it. I can never seem to hit any of my targets. I will aim, fire off a few bursts (about 4-5 shots each), and they all end up missing. The enemy then turns, aims, and shoots. What am I doing wrong? I can't use the MG-34 for ****...

Bonus points to anyone who can get me a gameplay video of someone owning with an MG-34. Super AmazingAwesome X 10000 bonus points to anyone who could show me in game how to kick some ass...

By the way, do you folks think bots would make good practice for my MG-34 skills? Are they intelligent enough that I would actually benefit from it?

The trick with all MG's is placement placement placement. Make sure you're in a spot that's not easilly flanked. Make sure it's a place lot's of enemy like to goto.
Make sure you are not in nade range. Make sure you have a fire zone as clear as you can.

Burst fire with either MG's works best, but with MG32 use your alternate fire, no tracers, more accurate, can punch out bullets just as fast as full auto. I prefer using the MG32 more than MG42 because it's more accurate with that semi auto mode and no tracers.

Remeber the trick to MG is have them come to you, not the other way around

Upvote 0
A number of thoughts:

1. A "small burst" of 4 or 5 rounds is actually hard to do, in real life as well as in-game. It takes about 0.3 seconds. This is why gunners were taught to "tap" the trigger - if you hold the trigger for a full second ("and one") you've banged off a full 15 rounds with the MG34 - and it WILL lift off target like that.
2. When I hear the German MGs in game, they are mostly being fired in 1-2 second bursts. That is as many as 40 rounds from the MG42. You can't expect to hit more than a barn like that.
3. If you listen carefully, you'll find a very good gunner will be firing in repeated tiny bursts. You may hear longer bursts, but that will be as suppressive fire or at bunched targets.

Contrary to "percieved wisdom", the German MGs were hard to control. The mad rate of fire on the MG42 was a problem - made it harder to control and eats ammo. Many modern MGs have been slightly detuned to be more manageable. The German MGs were, of course, absolute mayhem when bolted down to a tripod (and you'll just have to wait for that!).
\

You tell em!!!!

But I will complain that suppression effect isn't nearly as severe as it should be, I've suggested to make suppression a culmative effect. if a bullet passes by you it adds a point of suppression, which makes a slight effect that wears off. So a line of rifle men can supress almost as effectivly as an mg, and the mg would make your screen so blurry and randomly offset, the sandbags infront of you look like a painted yellow wall. and you have only a general idea where the mg is, but wouldn't be able to pin a position down well enough to return fire, let alone hit the mg'r

Make an area being suppressed by a team of infantry, or one mg'r so bad that the player has two choices, wait it out and hope they forget about you, or crawl away to a safer spot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am mostly mad that people dont agree the German Mg fire is way inaccurate for thsi game!!

Absolutley without pause i can mow people down at extreme ranges with the russian MG. Just shoot and then while holding down the fire aim the sights on the target. This is almost the opposite of what should happen you should aim to make you first shots accurate not the last shots.

Why have a WW2 game with german Mg's that are basically useless??

Dont get me wron I use them all the time and do damage but when you compare to the russian Mg there basically is no comparriosn.

No one is scarred of german MG fire in this game its stupid! you can shoot the german Mg with a russian smg just about everytime. and the german sare like what the hell is this.

I do remember the MOD days and the geman mg was changed from 3.1 to 3.2 and i noticed the russian went more accurate.

what good is a ww2 game when the german MG's are shiat????????

the firs bullet dosent go where it is aimed........

how can you miss someone 5o feet away when they are in an alley and cant escape it happens all the time the ground around some one butsts into dust from the mg fire yet he shoots back with a burst of smg fire andyou die.

and I am not talking about shooting once and missing and crying about it. i am talking about shooting every freakin g burst pattern you can think of and the enemy is laughing like you cant hit me.

I am dissapointed I will still use the german Mg's but they are still way flawwed and everyone knows it so screw you all that dont agree go back to russia

I have no problems with killing people with German MG's, I do not think the MG's need to be more accurate. It's the near non existant suppression effect that is killing us.

Upvote 0
Suppression is an entirely psychological effect. It is not a physical restraint on soldiers, but their very real fear of exposing or moving themselves.

Soldiers are said to be suppressed when they are under regular fire on their positions, and cannot readily do anything about it, including returning fire.

So, in-game MGs should create suppression simply by virtue of their ability to deliver heavy aimed fire.

I think the problem for MGs in-game is that players suffer far less from fear of death, than soldiers in real life do, for obvious reasons. This means that players will take more risks.

Also, I think it is far far easier to be accurate in-game than with a real weapon of any kind. When I have fired real rifles or shotguns or pistols, it is incredibly easy to miss a target at almost any range, unless you take careful aim. Guns are heavy, the aim can be altered by even breathing, and keeping a gun steady for any length of time is difficult.

I think RO does a great job, but I have to agree that I have been surprised at the relative inaccuracy of German MGs compared to the Russian MG, when firing at range.

Upvote 0
Suppression actually does work in most situations. If you're already set up and see the other guy, you can suppress him. Most times, they're too stupid to find another way around you or move to get a better shot so they'll stay there taking shots every now and then until you kill them. Take Stalingrad Kessel for instance. If you set up on the central admin building's roof overlooking te North Railyard, you're unstoppable. I must've gotten like 30 kills before someone picked me off with the sniper rifle the other night.

Upvote 0
Suppression actually does work in most situations. If you're already set up and see the other guy, you can suppress him. Most times, they're too stupid to find another way around you or move to get a better shot so they'll stay there taking shots every now and then until you kill them. Take Stalingrad Kessel for instance. If you set up on the central admin building's roof overlooking te North Railyard, you're unstoppable. I must've gotten like 30 kills before someone picked me off with the sniper rifle the other night.

Or Koitos (god I hate that map) some week ago. I set up a MG close to the radio at the beginning if the first round I didn't die once and no russians entered the radio cap zone.
Second round I die one time in the beginning of the round but then again I get back didn't die once again and after I set up the second time no russians entered the radio.

The people on the server was a mix of both new players and oldtimers teams where even.

Upvote 0
Or Koitos (god I hate that map) some week ago. I set up a MG close to the radio at the beginning if the first round I didn't die once and no russians entered the radio cap zone.
Second round I die one time in the beginning of the round but then again I get back didn't die once again and after I set up the second time no russians entered the radio.

The people on the server was a mix of both new players and oldtimers teams where even.

Yeah, I remember that. You were supressing really good :eek:

Upvote 0
You guys tried with smoke which ended up with me firing blindly at random into the smoke but I still stopped you (and killed some) which keept the radio safe.

But I could not have done that with out the great support I got from my team that both gave me ammo and covered my flanks. So a big thumb up to the team I was in that knew what to do to keep me alive.

Upvote 0
You can use smoke defensively for your MG, just throw it at the corner/place you're looking at but ensure to leave a good clear view distance to the smoke. When enemy infantry comes and sees the "easy way" through smoke, they're doomed. You're completely blind when coming out of smoke :) Just mow them down, while their view is still dark.

Upvote 0