• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

You're asking how you can differentiate between a miniature sonic boom and the sound of a bullet zipping right through paper? I think the answer is obvious. I never once heard the sound of the bullet hitting the target, and the sound of it hitting a dirt berm is likewise completely drowned out by the sonic crack.

You can make a fairly loud crack by just hitting a piece of paper with a pen. I imagine the sound of a bullet hitting a paper target would be much louder.

Incidentally, you could record similar sound effects to those used in that BF2 sound mod by... errrrr... hitting a piece of paper with a pen!

Upvote 0
You can make a fairly loud crack by just hitting a piece of paper with a pen. I imagine the sound of a bullet hitting a paper target would be much louder.

Incidentally, you could record similar sound effects to those used in that BF2 sound mod by... errrrr... hitting a piece of paper with a pen!

To make a loud noise by hitting a piece of paper with a pen, you would need to slap the pen against the paper so that they were parallel to each other. If you had somebody hold that paper at both sides with their hands, then went up some stairs or something, had them stand right below you, and you dropped the pen perpendicular to the paper, when it goes through the paper, you won't hear much. The bullet goes straight through the paper at a near perfect perpendicular angle, so it doesn't make a lot of noise.

Upvote 0
You seem to be very confused.

The supersonic crack that a bullet makes when passing is FAR more intense than you understand. At ten meters away, with a .308 round, it is 140dB. This is above the threshold of pain (130dB). According to the source I'm using (wikipedia), an M1 Garand firing 1m away is 160dB. I would imagine the supersonic crack of a bullet passing a meter or two away is somewhere around 145-150dB. A jackhammer from 2m away is only 100dB. Do you see what I'm getting at here? A bullet that literally just slices right through the paper with no resistance isn't going to make a sound that will even be recordable due to how intensely loud the mini-sonic-boom is in comparison."Smacking a piece of paper with a pen" is a comical comparison, as that is completely not at all anywhere close to the same physical process involved with a tiny, pointed, supersonic piece of copper-jacketed lead going right through a paper target with zero resistance.

Funny story, the sounds used in the BF2 sound mod are actual recordings of bullets passing close by the mic. I don't see what your point is here. You're citing a way to get a similar sound, that's not at all authentic, to try to prove... what, again?

Upvote 0
off topic.

I once had a CF-18 go super sonic 7-9 thousand feet above the base were on. (it was accidental, that base was not an airforce base, he was just on route and I guess he wanted to be a stupid dick and "buzz" the base and didn't look at his mach number.)

I can tell you it felt like someone punched you in the chest and your ears rang for several seconds afterwards. I was standing next to the mess and every single window shook violently and a few people stumbled in shock. Imagine the loudest thing you have ever heard, times infinity. It's the air quite literally exploding.

Breaking the sound barrier:

SERIOUS BUSINESS

I can attest to this. At an airshow I once watched an RAF Tornado breeze past, low down in front of the spectator line. Possibly the loudest thing Ive ever heard.

Upvote 0

A bullet makes no noise on the target as it simply cuts through it like a knife, very fast at that. Have to remember how the sound is made, before applying that sound to the bullet and saying it will make a louder one.
The only sound I've ever heard off a paper target was when I stood very close to it with a pistol and fired a clip into it for a close grouping. The sound was not the bullets hitting the paper, but the sound "bouncing" back off the large paper surface like a big stereo speaker. This was very loud, however would decrease exponentially as the distance from the sound got further away.

Upvote 0
lolors when i was at the range firing a .22 once, i pulled off one ear muff to hear how loud it was indoors, WHOO DA LALY even a .22 is deafening in enclosed spaces. a rifle would be enough to make somone wince..

Yeah but lol I was firing a 5.56 SA-80 assault rifle without ear defenders. Luckily it was outdoors otherwise I would be deaf in both ears for sure. How do soldiers escape deafness?

Upvote 0
God knows how soldiers escape deafness.
Simply, they don't.
My grandfather (7 years soldier and then pow) had problems with listening his whole life after WW 2nd.

Imo it is not really a problem (depending on the weapon) to fire a rifle in the open, but if you fire in a room, or at a shooting range with a roof it gets really loud.
Well one of use fired the Carl Gustav without ear protection. His eardrum was damaged afterwards.

Upvote 0
We shot Ramm's SVT-40 indoors recently, even with ear protection and standing a meter behind him, it was like a friggin earth quake. Loudest gun EVER. Mac 90, MN Sniper, Mauser 98k were loud as well, but a joke compared to the SVT-40.

One thing i never want to see in a room next to me is some guy with a SVT-40.

First time in my live i actually got motion blur from watching a guy shooting a gun.

Upvote 0