• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Strange movement and mouse problem

Phalanx

Sep 26, 2006
Hello, I have a strange problem with RO. If I move my mouse on the screen and then stop, it keeps moving for about a mm or something, and when I walk or run and decide to stop, it feels like he's running just a tiny tad more before he stops. It's hard to explain exactly, but that's the best I can come up with.

It makes me really clumsy in game and I have a hard time taking aim fastly.

I had almost the exact same problem in America's Army as well. Whereas I usually have no problems at all in other games.

Lowering all my settings to lowest doesn't help me, and neither does removing the checkboxes for reduce mouse lag and mouse sensitivity.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

PC specs:
CPU: 3.06GHz Intel Pentium 4
Memory: 1,75 GB
Graphics: 128 MB Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Sound: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Mouse: Logitech G5 updated with the latest firmware and drivers.
Keyboard: Logitech Ultra-Flat

When I had the problem in America's Army I managed to fix it by going in to the config.ini (or something like that) and setting worlddetail to the lowest possible. Simply lowering it on the in game menu didn't help. That's why I'm thinking it might be the graphics card.

I know I've read that many people here can play on highest settings with GeForce FX 5200 though, and I can't even play on lowest settings with 800x600 res. Although using Direct3D does seem to help somewhat.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to describe the problem a bit better...
It's not just when I stop I get the problem; the entire mouse movement is pretty clumsy. If I try to move my view in an arch, like a rainbow or half circle, across the screen, it always ends up a very unprecise rainbow, more like a curved path. It's hard to put my finger on really, but it feels kind of like the mouse is falling behind my movements by just a tiny bit.

When I'm on the class selection screen I often miss the class I'm going for if I'm just trying to click it fast by routine without "thinking" (if you see what I mean), so that I get the class above or below the one I intended to use.

If I just go from side to side with my view really fast it feels kind of like there's a "rounded off" feel to the, on other computers, pretty precise movements of the camera.

Upvote 0
Ok I'll just buy a new gfx card and see what happens, but now I wonder which one I should use.

The ones I'm considering are:

LeadTek GeForce 6800GT 256MB AGP
LeadTek GeForce 7800GS 256MB AGP
Palit GeForce 6800GS Super 512MB AGP
Palit ATI Radeon X850XT DDR3 256MB AGP

I'm not sure if there's some compatibility issues or some prefered cards, and I don't really know how big the difference between these cards are. I mean, 512MB VRAM sounds like a lot, but when I googled I found out that appearantly VRAM is just one of many factors that has to be considered when buying graphic cards.

It would be really nice if I could get someone to point me in the right direction here. When I've bought it I'll post and tell you how it works, in case someone else has similar problems.

Upvote 0
What monitor do you have?
512Mb RAM is only nescessary, if you want to load large texture-files, to support high resolutions for a LCD.
If you use a CRT, then 256Mb is enough, for most people run their games on 1024x768 on such a monitor, and rely on 4x or 6xFSAA to get rid of the jaggies.

I have a 19"CRT, and bought a Radeon X850XT 256Mb GDDR3 AGP 2 weeks ago...it's a great card - one of the fastest AGP's still available, for around €200 - and it runs a next-gen game like Dark Messiah on highest settings, with good fps.
But if you want SM3.0-support, then you need a recent NVidia, or a Radeon X1k-series...hard to find, for AGP. A X850XT supports SM2.0

Upvote 0