• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO getting Gamier?

RO getting Gamier?

• Yes

Votes: 149 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 156 51.1%

• Total voters
I feel that RO IS getting a little more gamey, but I still feel that TW has MORE than enough time to fix a few of the current bugs and issues and than it wont be a problem.

Mainly I feel its getting more gamey because of the growing number of players joining the RO bandwagon every day, not that this is bad, cause it isn't, its GREAT that RO is having so much success.

But what I'm getting at is that there are still quite a few issues/bugs/possible changes left that can be taken advantage of for a player to gain a little more or an edge than they normally should be, and for each new player that joins it adds another person that could possibely take advantage of the problems that are still left to solve.

I feel that RO is starting to get a little gamey becuase there are now hundreads if not thousands of players with a very large percentage who are probably taking advantage of every piece they can grab at, which is a lot more occurances of gamey behavior than what we experienced when RO just hit the stores with only a smaller playing fanbase.

But I dont think that its bad enough right now to be unsolveable just yet, in fact I expected to see a LOT worse, so I admire how well TW has been able to deliver RO so far.

In the end, I feel that if TW payes attention to their solid fanbase and delivers what were asking for (like theyre doing so well at right now) then I feel these problems should be cleared up pretty quickly.

On a similar note, I will be developingwhat I believe may be my third massive RO suggestions/bug/feature-list essay and I hope that it recieves positive feedback as I will be working hard to create a solid list of the best and brightest RO ideas that the community has been able to cook up, along with full and proper descriptions and suggested implementations. I will try to cover everything from small audio changes to major game implementations and even mutator and mod ideas.

Upvote 0
It was machined and built better than the Gewehr-43 hense its more accaurate when it works.

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Here's a tip.

It was not "machined" better than the G43 and it wasn't nearly as well built as the G43

Out of my whole post you singled that out to try and get me wrong. And you were wrong about it.

Try again young padawan. ( or whatever the f*ck the star wars fans call it)

Afternoon,
Jono

Upvote 0
Lol, It must be my low resolution that's making it look the same then. Maybe make it a little more bigger then.

Opps, sorry, I probably shoulda used the quoting feature in that reply. I was actually refering to the original poster's question. ;)

I actually have no clue if the ptrd bullet changed size in the death messages. Didnt mean to mislead ya there.:eek:

Upvote 0
The "Bang" system was too complicated and broke down frequently under the stress and wear of combat. The gun was also too heavy, notably due to the complex and heavy operating machinery located near the front, which weighed the muzzle down. Since the magazine was inbuilt and had to be filled from two separate charger strips, reloading the gun also proved difficult and time-consuming.

Yet in-game it perform as well , if not better than the G43.

Oh and everyone, calls it dolphin diving,still needs to be fixed, funny how we give nicknames to the things that need to be changed Clown Car comes to mind..

The stuff I highlighted isn't modelled in the game. For any weapon. The Green item is modelled already (it takes longer to load than other weapons).

People complaining about the introduction of the G41 are simply being reactionary. They only want to see changes the game that THEY want.

Besides, implimenting the G41 doesn't make the game "gamier" anyway, so it's irrelivant to this discussion.

There is NOTHING that has been introduced since march that made the game "GAMIER" except the smoke nades, and once again they're not ahistorical, they're just over-represented, just like several other things in the game.

Upvote 0
RO is STILL the most realistic WW2 FPS I have ever played.

As for "dolphin diving" I believe this term was coined in the BF2 community as a name for jumping while prone i.e. you could jump while lieing down as if you were a fish!
You certainly cannot do this in RO!!! Sure you can dive and shoot, perhaps and accuracy modifier is in order, but its hardly a big deal imo.

Upvote 0
The stuff I highlighted isn't modelled in the game. For any weapon.

Well now they've put the G41 in, it needs to be. TripWire didn't have to model jams to keep the game's realism up before but now they made the mistake of putting the G41 in, they're gona have to. ( to keep the realism up that is, they can do whatever they want... It's just for us to make our own opinions on it)
The answer to everyone's (including mine) moaning about the G41 is to model jams.
If they do, and do it properly and realistically, not many people will be taking the G41 because it will be cr*p

Upvote 0
Well now they've put the G41 in, it needs to be. TripWire didn't have to model jams to keep the game's realism up before but now they made the mistake of putting the G41 in, they're gona have to. ( to keep the realism up that is, they can do whatever they want... It's just for us to make our own opinions on it)
The answer to everyone's (including mine) moaning about the G41 is to model jams.
If they do, and do it properly and realistically, not many people will be taking the G41 because it will be cr*p

Was it that bad that it would likely jam in the amount of time each reinforcment lasts for in game? People usually die in under a minute or 2. If the G41 was clean and well maintained would it still likely jam in under a minute or 2 of use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My point is not moot because I happen to have a server that uses the scoreboard mut but has DM enabled.

Now I could go into a nice long dissertation about why it is that way but true to the spirit of the forums most would glance over it and the message would be lost in translation. If you're really curious as to why go to that link in my sig.

So as a server owner/operator of soon to be 2 servers why should I have to "live with the consequences" ? Why should I have one of my business practices ruined by a new gamey addition for something that was working quite well the way it was? Now I know these statements are going to illicit a flame from you and maybe a couple of others but oh well, it's my business to run not yours, and this is customers' complaints that I'm voicing. So keep that in mind when you reply, I have a lot more at stake and risk to lose a lot more when there are changes to the game than you so I'm going to have different things affect me more than the average player.

Feel free to PM me the reason for keeping DMs on but the scoreboard off. It's still your choice, though. There's also ways to avoid this problem (such as making a mutator that only shows bullet icons). You also said that you can't tell if it was a rifle, MG, or SMG that killed you, except you can. If it's an MG, you'll be able to tell by the tracers that came flying towards you or the sound you heard right before you died. With the SMGs, you get a different bullet icon (pistol caliber bullet icon), and again can tell from the sound. The ONLY thing you lose here is knowing that the specific rifle that killed you was a sniper or regular rifle and if it's a sniper shot, you'd probably have some idea of that anyway. Even knowing that it IS a sniper doesn't really matter much because you still won't know where the guy is necessarily.

This isn't a gamey choice either. It's not a realism choice, it's not something for game conventions. It's just an icon. If your players think otherwise, feel free to refer them to my posts or just blame the devs.

In the alternative, you can probably make a quick-n-dirty mutator that changes all death messages to a specific icon (so you could, for example, remove the -- by your reasoning -- gamey and unrealistic SMG/Pistol icons and replace them with a generic skull & crossbones icon for ALL deaths). I can't imagine that'd be all that hard to do since it's simply rejiggering things so that a single death icon is used for all causes of death.

Regardless, you can't expect the devs to cater to each and every permutation on each and every server. While I definitely think that future updates and changes to graphical and audio "flavor" issues (IE: new voices, new icons, etc.) should be optional, and things like smoke grenades should also be optional on a per-map basis (IE: you can select smokes or regular nades -- unless the mapper specifically wants to limit the SL from having regular nades on purpose), but honestly, this thing about the icon doesnt' seem like that big a deal.

I sympathize with wanting to cater to your customers' requests, but it's not Tripwire's job to configure your server. They provide the base gameplay and you then customize your server accordingly. If they make a minor change to the base gameplay (which is no more or less gamey than how it worked previously), and that change doesn't suit you, nothing's stopping you from changing it. That's one of the strengths of the engine they chose -- it's HIGHLY customizable and adaptable.

So if this really is that big of a problem, make a mutator and fix it. There's even a section of the official boards here where you can talk to folks about how to do this sort of thing! :)

Upvote 0

But that's just it. The G41 apparently WASN'T crap. If it was well maintained, apparently it performed BETTER than the G41, just as it does in game. So modelling jams, while a really neat-o IDEA would probably **** in practice. Plus, if they start modelling jams for that, they'll have to model jams for multiple weapons, including the Luger (which apparently was ALSO prone to jamming).

The G41 may have been hard to maintain, but the game already "unrealistically" models certain "ideal scenarios." For example, every soldier is roughly the same height and weight, has the same degree of stamina, and is capable of exactly the same physical feats (jumping height, running speed, etc.). No tank ever gets stuck in mud. No machinegun ever jams. No grenades are ever duds. No primers on ammunition are ever bad and no barrel ever gets clogged with dirt or dust or mud no matter how many artillery shells explode by you and no matter how many muddy trenches you dive into.

The game already "assumes a best case scenario" for TONS of stuff, yet no one seems to complain about it. And yet, when the devs release a new weapon, people go ballistic about how it's RUINED the gameplay and is CLEARLY more gamey and so on and so forth.

Plus, ask yourself this. How do you propose they design the FREQUENCY of jams? Should it be a random number? Should it happen one out of every 500 times you fire? One out of every 1000? 2000? 5000? 43? 28? We don't really know, do we? All we have are general assertions that "The weapon was prone to jamming and difficult to maintain in the field". We have NO data on the frequency of jams, what conditions caused them, etc.

Upvote 0
Yep its a game

Yep its a game

Essentially any game with elements of realism has to have a trade off with playability so it remains fun.

Which elements make a game good or bad are dependant on personal opinion.

But taking in to account what TW have achieved with essentially an old game engine and retaining playability which is the key, i think RO is better than most fps games on the market.

But the more elements that get introduced into the game the more the game becomes bloatware-it weighs in at 1.5 gigs of software at the moment.

There is a finite amount, not infinite to what tweaks and realistic items they may introduce.
I leave this up to the devs.
Its more realistic than most and at least they do not have a phoney unlockable rank/weapons system to keep the mugs playing.

In the end as long as it remains a playable game-thats what counts.

Upvote 0