• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alot of NICE feats for UT99!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure live in lala-land:rolleyes: . The mod didn't catch on with enough players. It never had a real base besides very few die hard fans. And don't tell me that was intentional or due to the game being realistic or something. Because other games like OFP and Rainbow Six series did a lot better and realism mods like RO did a lot better too, even though a lot less people played UT2k3 than the original.

To be fair, just because it's not a lot doesn't mean it's not enough. It's a good lot there, too, and the most amazing custom maps I've ever played are in Infiltration. Some pretty patient people to wait two years for a new version, at that! :)

Upvote 0
Dont worry about me getting RO :D
Anyway, cash is not really the problem. The reason i don't have it is more out of principles. I didn't like the idea of a closed mod. It's like the mod turning it's back on what allows it to exist in the first place.

Now that I learned that RO is fully open to modding, I'm more interested to have a look into it, not that I plan to play it a lot or mod extensively.

But I could do some proof of concept or give some pointers to other devs with more interest in the game. Maybe. I'll see.

Upvote 0
I vote for a RO-Realitymod with support for 26 players, mainly for infantry and combined arms that will include penetration and full ballistics.

* Combined arms maps are limited to 1 Tank pr side and 1 MG.
Or 2 Mg's and no tank (to reduce server lag)
* Arty replaced with manual mortar (cause no arty would support a 13 man team)
---------------------------
I would be very happy if you helped us out here Geobob and I think you should lower your "gun" and try RO and see what is like....
----------------------------------------------------------
I felt RO had great potensial first time I tried it, it mainly failed on the following:

1) Insufficient supression effect

2) No penetration and full ballistics

3) No object destruction (got stuck in a flowerbed with 90 ton tank)

4) No mantling/climing

5) No realistic damage on tanks

6) No squad joining and lack of ingame support for teamwork

7) More game type options (limited lives pr soldier and limited class types etc)

8) Increase sound on bullet whizz and impact....

9) Fix the MG issues

10) Fix recoil on all weapons (example the weapon should not be LINKEd with the head (my head does not rise upwards when the hands go up haha)

11) Alot of rambo behaviour and gameplay feels not much different from CS sometimes
---------------------------------------------
If theese points where added, I STRONGLY beleive that RO would be played 5 years from now.
---------------------------------------------------
Thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*my post disappeared*

Somone should make a modern tactical mod with penetration, with very limited lives!
I've been planning a different gamemode for RO. Won't be historically correct.. but could be. Every player has one life. Teams will spawn (together) at random locations every round and because of that and the dynamic objective(s) each existing map will offer many new strategies. I will need a coder though.

Tak, i agree. With penetration a whole new level of suspence will be added, let's hope we live to see the day.

krazykraut, sure all of us @ inf live in lala. Believe what you want.

Upvote 0
Seems nothing has changed. No matter how we are approached on this forum it always ends up with assumptions, flaming and 'nice' statements trying to bash INF in one way or another and to always let RO look better than INF.
I actually like the sound of Yoshiro's posts who actually tries to let both sides have their point of view and let people freely decide which mod/game they think is better.
Sure we are on the RO forums here, but this doesn't mean that only RO has the right to get nice comments and INF is always the ****ty stuff that noone wants to play and noone ever played.
I don't want to put salt in anyones wound here but I have to say that Ramm did not did a very good job here in this thread by quoting the flamers and supporting them in a pretty much nonprofessional way.

Anyway, back to the actual topic or better the penetration system...
A basic penetration system is something that you can get going on any Unreal engine within a couple of minutes. It is based on projectiles that fly around and hit stuff, no matter if the flight path is a ballistic curve or not. This has nothing to do with the actual penetration feature nor has any oh so complicated hit detection system even if this is a per-poly detection.
All you need - as described on many forums, wikis and many mailing lists for a couple of engines, not only Unreal - is an engine function that lets you 'trace' from one point to another returning a hitlocation if something - no matter what - was between these two points. And every Unreal engine features this simple trace function.
In addition to this you need a way to relocate your projectile or to spawn a new copy of it at any location you want if you cannot simply reposition the original. This is a basic function available in any engine out there too, including the Unreal engine of course.
Now the actual codes depend on how 'good' your penetration system should be and how much performance you want to put into. Basically none of the systems eats up performance in a noticeable way even if thousands of projectiles would fly around cause only a few of them would actually hit something at the same time if at all. So you can even give your codes some more checks to make the system more realistic by including material checks and stuff alike.

The actual penetration is a simple calculation. Each projectile 'type' gets a value of how far it can penetrate into a specific material depending on the caliber, the weapon it was fired from and similar parameters. The material that was hit then decreases or even increases this maximum 'distance'.
Now all you need to do for a fully working penetration system that only has a little flaw that I will describe in the next few sentences too is to actually let it virtually travel further at the time it hits something.
You have the projectiles velocity, means you have its actual rotation and flight direction due to the velocity being a vector. You then simply normalize the velocity vector and multiply it by the maximum 'distance' value described above, add it to the hitlocation and then make a trace from this new location back to the original hitlocation. This way you will get a new hitlocation on the backside of the object the projectile actually hit, IF the penetration 'distance' was enough to let the projectile travel thru the object/wall.
Then all you need to do is to set the location of the projectile to this new location on the objects backside and let it fly on its flight path further.

The little flaw of this system is that if your maximum penetration distances get pretty high, then this simple 'from the maximum position check' back to the original hitlocation can actually travel thru several objects at once if ie. the wall that was hit is pretty thin. Normally this doesn't matter that much especially if you do not have weaponry in game that is able to penetrate a massive concrete wall. But if you do, then you can simply split up the 'backside checks' in several steps till the maximum penetration distance was reached. So you end up with a small number of traces max, if the possible penetration distance is pretty far and the object that was hit is actually this thick and not very thin.
If you now add a modifier to the penetration values that reduce the possible damage value of the projectile and the 'next' maximum penetration value each time the projectile managed to travel thru an object then you get a pretty stable penetration system using a very simple way that doesn't eat up performance even if dozens of or even a hundred projectiles would actually hit a penetrateable material at the same time.

In addition to the penetration check you can check the hitangle. Depending on the angle plus the hit material you can let the projectile ricochet or not.

These two little features combined give you a stable penetration feature for any projectile based mod/game, no matter how complex the actual ballistics used are.

Take care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually like the sound of Yoshiro's posts who actually tries to let both sides have their point of view and let people freely decide which mod/game they think is better.
Agreed. Alan is also able to approach this in a levelheaded, mature way.

I don't want to put salt in anyones wound here but I have to say that Ramm did not did a very good job here in this thread by quoting the flamers and supporting them in a pretty much nonprofessional way.
Agreed as well. I've never been too fond of the way that Ramm deals with competing ideas, mods, or alternate viewpoints.

(description of the penetration system
Well, what can I say to that? From what I've seen in Infiltration, Beppo knows his stuff. That was a very good explanation of the specifics of how such a system can work.

I'll go on to say that my time dealing with Beppo during my writing of the Infiltration article was really enjoyable. The guy does great work, is well-spoken, and has a great perspective on this sub-genre. Much can be learned from him, as I think his explanation of the penetration system clearly shows.

Upvote 0
Bah beppo. You gave them the secret ingredient of my magical mutator. No point in doing it now :p

But I still have a question. Looking at the source, I see the ballistic system has been natively implemented. Why did you implemented it natively? Something the engine could not take care of?

As for penetration, after looking at the RO source, I can assure you it's a question of minute to implement in a viable fashion. Doing it as a mod would be a pain though because of the multiple subclasses. Having one class of projectile per weapon is a weird way of doing things considering the OOP approach of the engine. At least all the weapons using the same caliber should inherit from the same parent class of a round type. The whole class hierarchy is a bit of mess which makes modding a boring puzzle. If you start expending functions all over the place you'll never over it.

Plus I'm not quite sure how the native functions interact with the projectile. I didn't find any documentation... so I'm not sure how I could expend replace the base projectile class while keeping native ballistic.

But that doesn't change the fact that it can be done very easily and with close to no server load. That's my opinion after studying the RO classes.

Upvote 0
Why do you need me to do a mutator. Beppo just posted exactly what needs to be done.

Just build a closed internal developement version of RO with this feature and test it out. It's going to be much easier for you to do so (like less then one our work) then doing a mod that replaces the ballistic class (for reason I stated above, mainly unknown native ballistics handling).

Upvote 0
Maybe the expectations got abit high for him...
I mean if I claim that I can make things work with a simple sollution, and it turns out not to work....
I have to pray that wasnt too proud person :)

Anyway, I hope Geo or Beppo can and will do it, if he fails or not!
Atleast you did an effort, and ill praise you for that...
If you make it, I hope u get a nice sum of money or cred for it :)

Hugs Teq

Upvote 0
yoshiroGandolf.jpg

hehe had this image commisioned some time ago but have forgotten to use it!

Glad you like it!

(i am the commisioned artist...lol)

Upvote 0
If you're still reading this Geo you're saying that in your opinion it would be more effecient to 'hard code' (I guess that's the word, but I think you know what I mean) penetration rather than do it as a mutator, because of how the ballistics system is modeled in RO?

Just want to make sure I read your post right so that I don't go putting words in anyone's mouth :)

I know nothing about specifics of coding game engines or I'd up and try it myself. Alas, we'd all end up watching a slideshow main-menu before crashing to desktop if I were to try my hand at code ;)

Upvote 0
No. I'm just saying it would be easier to build a full test version with the penetration code in the base RO Ballistic Projectile Classes instead of doing it as a mutator that catches the projectile spawners, change the projectile class for the new projectile class that handles penetration and so on.

That part (has nothing to do with penetration or performance) would have been easier in UT. So the issue is not with the implementation of the thing... it's how to implemented it as a mutator that modifies RO. Changing the ProjectileClass in the ROProjectileFire for a new Class inheriting the ROProjectileFire and replaces the appropriate functions for penetration handling should do the trick. But because the way the RO class tree is design, that's a pain in the a.. to do. And you got tons of classes to change.

If you do a test build of RO and modify the base classes to handle penetration, you only have one function to rewrite and you are done. But that Is not something I am interested to do, even if I am able to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.