• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flyboys

We really need to start use death sentenced convicts or terminally ill people in movies, **** going out in the chair or lethal injection or dieing in a steril hospital full of strangers. I would want to go out with a bang, caused by my fuel tanks exploding. I wanna see Chuck Noris round-house nanna's head off. I want to see a pedofile/murderer rip a Zeke into six peices with a F6F then barrel down into the pacific. People are dieing everyday and movies are getting worse and worse.

Upvote 0
I hope if they do cover the Red Baron's death they get the part where he was actually killed by an Australian machine gunner (from the ground) because he was too flying low over enemy territory. Not a glorious or movie climaxing end.

I remember watching a 60s or 70s movie where he gets shot down by a canadian pilot in the RAF

Upvote 0
I remember watching a 60s or 70s movie where he gets shot down by a canadian pilot in the RAF

Captain Roy Brown of the RAF did fire on von Richthofen, and got credit for the kill, but...

There was a recent documentary on him where forensics experts went back over the evidence, flight path, eye witnesses, autopsy and such. He was shot from below. They narrowed it down based on who was stationed where on the ground. I'll look for the name...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3011_redbaron.html

There is a transcript of the film on this page, with most of the relevent bits near the bottom.

"
NARRATOR: Captain Brown probably fired on von Richthofen from behind and above left. But as the medical reports showed, the Baron was hit by an upward-traveling shot to the right side. After more than eighty years, most of the evidence fails to support Brown's claim. So who did fire the fatal shot?
Ballistics tests can reveal the effect of a bullet fired from different ranges. When a human body is hit there's an explosive effect called hydrostatic shock—the closer the range, the greater the wound damage.

PETER FRANKS (Ballistics Consultant): If the bullet had struck von Richthofen at close range, I would have expected a more explosive-type wound. Now the evidence is that the wounds were actually probed by the medical staff after he had been shot down, and they were actually able to follow the bullet-path through the body.

NARRATOR: A low-damage, low-velocity hit would indicate a long range shot. Moreover, one of the medical orderlies actually found the .303 bullet that had killed the Baron.

PETER FRANKS: The fact that the bullet was found intact inside the clothing of Richthofen is another indicator that it was a long range shot. And I would say that would be probably 600 yards plus.

NARRATOR: Australian Gunners Buie and Evans were in range and could have hit von Richthofen, as they claimed, some 20 or 30 seconds before he is known to have died. But, by their own testimony, they were firing face on to the triplane so they could not have hit von Richthofen on the right hand side.

NORMAN FRANKS: So we asked our gun expert, what do we need to look at? He said, "Have you got somebody who knows what they're doing, 600 yards away, and he's firing at Von Richthofen's right side?" We said "yes." He said, "There's your man."

NARRATOR: Perched on the slope was the Australian gunnery sergeant, Cedric Popkin. He had followed the fight and now swung his Vickers gun through 180 degrees in case the red triplane re-appeared. He was in luck.

NORMAN FRANKS: In our view and final analysis, the best candidate for bringing down von Richthofen was Cedric Popkin, Australian Sergeant machine gunner.

NARRATOR: Though he was their greatest foe, the Allies buried Manfred von Richthofen alongside their own dead on April 22, 1918, with full military honors."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those Canadians and Australians are just a bunch of Stat whores...now that I think of it if there had been Americans around in the area gun or no gun, they would have claimed the kill, and they would have all been rewarded for it. :p

lol. Actually, Americans have won every war fought on the planet since 1776.

Hey where in WV, my home state? If you care to divulge...

Upvote 0
My wife got hopeful when she saw the name "Flyboys" because she knew I loved the book of the same name. (Highly, highly, highly recommended by me -- WWII history)

For what it's worth, the movie is getting panned by critics, who presumably are judging it more as a movie and less as a historical statement.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flyboys/

Just read the examples of the _positive_ reviews:
While nothing ground-breaking, Flyboys is two-plus hours of passable entertainment.

Perfect for air show attendees, Air Force recruiters and vets of any war seeking to convey their experiences to squeamish wives or small children.

I have nothing against a good old-fashioned flying-aces war movie.... I just get a little antsy at movies in which almost every single damn moment is presumed to be dramatic enough to warrant a swelling music cue.

Me, I'm still trying to talk the wife into "Snakes on a Plane." Anyone live near Boston? =)

Upvote 0