• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flyboys

Dissapointed. I was looking forward to it, but the latest previews make it look like they've sapped it up with a love story. Why can't they just tell the history without having to corn it up? It's uneccessary. For example, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers are two of the most successful war movies ever and they had nothing of the sort.

Upvote 0
Yes, the moment you hear "inspired by a true story" you know you are in for written by a Hollywood committee that knows not nor cares not for anything remotely accurate.

It will be a complete fantasy as the square jawed American boys who dislike authority save the rest of the world from itself.

I hope it has OK dialog, that characters don't make me roll my eyes over and over and say silently "that would never happen" and that it is overall better that that pile of turds "U-571", which also made up the entire story with laughably unrealistic EVERYTHING, no character development, oh and it was the English who captured the German code machines, not the Americans.

But knowing it will be complete nonsense, I am looking forward to the special effects and have waited a long time since the Blue Max came out to see another WWI flying film.

There is another movie that looks like it will be MUCH better:

http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/

Upvote 0
I haven't seen it.. but I think - Another cr*ppy film which portrays the Americans as everybodys saviour, I heard they are like the only group of American airmen on the whole western front. I know this is actually based on fact, but come on! The yanks didn't officially declare war on the Germans til 1917 (even then - there contribution was minimal).. a primarily French/British front and the story is based on a few American airmen. :(

I know what your thinking.. they picked the story so it would appeal to the the US public. And yes - I'm still waiting for the British film industry to get off there a*se and start making some decent war films in rememberance of our lads.. :mad:

I saw the trailer a while back.. there are hundreds of red fokkers! :D

DieFledermaus said:
I'll be keeping an eye on this :)

Upvote 0
It looks absolutely horrible.

The second I saw that biplane pulling up into a vertical zoom climb, I called bull****. WWI aircraft had less horsepower than a Cessna 172. And while I have no doubt they were more maneuverable and rugged than their wooden and cloth construction would suggest, some of the stuff they do in the trailer is just laughable.

Oh, and there was only ONE Fokker DR1 triplane in the world painted red: the Red Baron's personal aircraft. Yet in the trailer there's many on the screen at once - even though the movie takes place six months before the DR1 even premiered. Apparently the filmmakers wanted to make sure ignorant American audiences could easily identify who the nasty evil bad guys were.

Upvote 0
Pearl Harbour, i hated that movie with a passion . omg like we teh fighter pilots!! k lets go to doolittle's raid lolz! I wish that when they took off during the raid on pearl, a zero came in and wasted both those stupid asshats with their cannons. Anyway this looks like the same bit but the only way they could make it was if they went back to WW1. Did anyone else notice that the german's planes suddenly blew apart from passing near the amerians super speed fighters?

I bet i can guess the epic battle with the red baron. Good looking american pilot faces evil babie eating red baron, dogfight ensuses, amercan jumps out and lands on the barons tail and shoots the baron in the back of the head, american takes control of the plane and sacrifices himself to save paris from the very evil zeppelins. Hero is incinerated and the germans run with their tails between their legs. Hero's friend come back to **** the hero's girlfriend THE END

Upvote 0
The movie is about the American volunteers who joined the French air corps because they wanted the adventure and wanted to learn to fly. Some of them fought for several months before the USA entered the war.

The German government protested the term "American" in the official name of the organization, so it was changed to Lafayette (actually pronounced La-feet), in honor of the French nobleman who fought for Washington and the Americans during their Revolution.

There was one initial squadron that had Americans, but actually most of the American volunteers were spread out across the air corps.

The Squadron it is based on flew Nieuport 11s for a few months before receiving S.P.A.D. 7s, which they continued to fly until the end of the war. They were mustered into the American Aircorps once the U.S. was fully involved, not unlike the Flying Tigers during WWII.

The planes depicted in the film are Nieuport 17s and the do not even get Lewis guns mounted on their top wing. This is probably due to limitations in their computer program that ran all the CG dogfights.

They are seen fighting whole flights of Red Fokker Dr.1s. Of course Richthofen was famous for his red triplane (even if he only flew a tri in the last months he fought) and many people feel it is a particularly poor choice since everyone is going to say “there was only one Red Baron, not whole squadrons of them!”

But there was one German group that did fly red triplanes. However, I doubt the film makers even knew that.

It obvious to me that having all the German planes be one type and one color and all the French planes being one type and one color is all due to the limitations of the CG programming.

But at least we will see Nieu 17s and Fokker Dr.1s in great 3-D fighting scenes.

Even the Red Baron movie has a plot that sounds ridiculous. He is in love with “nurse Katey”, who apparently does not even have a last name. Because of her and seeing his friends die he realizes the futility of war too late. Sniff, sniff.

Actually, by all accounts he LOVED it and wanted to kill as often and as many people as he could, preferring the classic “dive by shooting”, aiming directly at the pilot from as close as he could get and firing so he killed without his victim having any chance to react.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who's not gonna read black on grey background text?
I almost passed it over, but it was worth the read. :)

Both of those movies look craptastic, I can't recall 1 air-corps war movie that was any good. The Aviator was a good flick, even though there were no war scenes.

I think I will watch Victory At Sea on DVD instead. :)

Upvote 0