• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A big thumbs up on pickups!

It was a secret code to a lot of new players in the free week that didnt know how to pick up a weapon when it said 'pick up weapon X' on their screen. If you can't do that at that point because something mysterious has to be done before you can actually do what it says on the screen, then it's 'secret code' to me and many others. Just because you know how to by now doesn't make it good design.

That doesn't however take away the difficulty people have picking up nades, but that is a seperate issue like I already mentioned twice by now. You keep confusing two issues. No offence. ;)

Yes maybe I am, but perhaps fixing the layering issue should have been done first because the system as it is now is inferior to the old system as it is ATM.

When it said "pick up weapon X" before, why not have "Throw weapon before picking up this one" or something

Anyway its no big deal, just seems like you guys tried to tackle the problem the wrong way around

Oh and yes I too didn't even realise I could pick up a weapon when I first started in the mod, but I was quite happy with the knowlege that I was just new and so probably didn't understand how to play yet so I looked in controls and found the secret code in there :D

Anyway as I've said before, this is free stuff and its only a minor point really so I hope you don't take what I say too negatively :) . Its just constructive critisicm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It just seems that you made it more of a chore to get what you actually want when theres a few items near each other. Before if I just wanted some more grenades I could click all round the area until I picked them up, and if I wanted a weapon I would just press the "secret code" (Z for me) and then I could grab a weapon. Now I don't bother trying to get grenades because it takes longer than before. Seriously though pressing "drop weapon" isn't a secret code LOL. No offence but it just looks like a "dumbing down" type thing to me that doesn't really add to the game IMO

I disagree, in real life swapping your weapon for another is as simple as bending down and doing so, so in game, it needs to be easy aswell, there no point having to press two buttons to accomplish something that should be natural and easy when you can manage it by pressing just one.

So i dont think theres any "dumbing down" there, its just uncomplicating something that should indeed not be complicated in the first place (not that it was a science, but it was a waste of buttons).

Upvote 0
i like the new pick up system. the only problem i've encountered is all the weapons fall in a pile and sometimes in trying to pick up one you exchange others that you didn't want. ie: wanted panzerfausts and ended up swapping my primary weapon also. but no biggie. P.S. thanks Tripwire for your hard work

Thats the problem IMO - Thats why its takes LONGER to get what you really want now. If I had a choice of pressing the secret code first and then getting exactly what I want or swapping through items because they're too close to each other I know what I would choose :D

Ah well we know Tripwire care about these things and i'm sure they'll be looking at solutions to put in the next patch - how about being able to hold down a button to turn off auto switch for a few secs while you spam the pickup button near nades. This way you keep the intuitiveness of the current system, while allowing people that don't mind pressing extra buttons to "fine tune" their picking up of stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This prolly isn't the place but a system like Deus X and countless other games where picking up opens an inventory of your stuff and the nearby corpse's stuff (or stuff on the ground) so that you can swap stuff between the two would prolly work (but it would be a bastid to code, of course).

As it is the current system, whilst still a bit flawed, has been improved by the latest patch (just in case anyone thinks I only ever moan about new stuff). I am NOT a grumpy old man.

....nah, really, I'm not.

Upvote 0
I definately dislike the ammo-pouches, as Forest Gump said... etc etc you all know the quote point is you never know what you're going to get. At least when the clips fell you could see and make a decision whether or not it was worth it to pick up the weapon. I think a better way to approach this would maybe be reduce the amount of scattering that occured when ammo was dropped. I also don't like how now you can't resupply friends with the same type of ammo since they end up taking ALL of it as opposed to a clip or two. This becomes a huge issue when you're trying to drop a few rifle rounds for your sniper. So if we're going to keep the ammo-pouch system then how about replacing the "drop weapon" key with a "give ammo" key, separate from the mg resupply key that would give one clip/mag of ammo to your teammate at the expense of one of yours.

As to the current bugs with the layering, not to mention the infinite reload bug on sniper rifles, I think that this should have been a higher priority regardless of the difficulty involved. It's very EA-esque to release a new feature that relies on a buggy base without fixing that base code first. Then again I study engineering, not business.

Upvote 0
I think the new system is unuseable and really stinks. if you go to pick up some ammo or grenades etc you will throw down one rifle and pick up another that is crazy. I thought there would be an option to not auto weapon swithc but that doesent seem so.

I am deeply concerned and quite frankly i think its gone from bad to worse and is now unplayable and lacks any form of consistancy as you can now spend 3 times longer picking stuff up etc to get what you want with all the confusin of it picking up the stuuf other than what it says its going to pick up meanwhile you get shot.

I had a sniper rifle and was trying to pick up some grenades and it swithced to the rifle with no scope and basically it makes more situations with problems than it solved.

This is so funny when the mod was out the developers used to chew your head off and say jsut look at the optins and you can see how to pick up a weapon.

Again we are seeing the game dumbed down and almost the exact opposite point is made that we are dummbimng down the game for retards when the motto used to be look it up retard.

And again we are seeing the game basically dumbed down for Counter Strike players and little kids why not put big color coded arrows above our heads red and blue so we know who is german and russian I mean those little kids out there that cant pick up a weapon also cant tell the difference between russian and german. heck why stop there lets Fisher Price color code the whole game and it will look like a 2 year olds plastic toy.

If you look close and pay attention the game looks and feels like its being dumbed down for a console game relaease sometime in the future. Thats just my opinion since the new game came out it looks more like a console FPS in many ways and the controls and **** are all headed in that direction.

Anyway the new system is retarded you can litterally pick up and drop like 5 thiungs in a row like you are some mental patient that cant decide and end up walking away a minute later saying "screw that its that last time I try to pick up some grenades damn all that trouble"

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am so mad I have to reply again real quick.

I have been playing RO for 2 years and the attitude of changeing it for stupid players was NEVER an excuse in fact most of the designers and players took the exact opposite stance You were expected to know what keys to press and having the game dumbed down and dramatically changeing gameplay to cater to little kids that cant figure out how to switch weapons is retarded!!!!!!

Now the game is offically broken in my opinion and is heading down a road that you cant come back from.

I head the designers complain about how hard it is to change gameplay and their time is precious then why this retarded change when the ammo and grenades sticll stack on top of each other fix that problem first

I am just getting overwhelmed with all the bugs and things that they change and I wont even mention how retarded the tank fighting it kind of ****s but I just avoid the tanks and Ill freaking walk half a mile before getting in one of those unbalanced tanks it just pisses me off.

Upvote 0
cant you just have a selected option check if you down want your main weapon to swap because picking stuff up and not knowing if your main weapon is just gonna swap like crazy even though it says ammo or grenade when you try to pickup.

This makes no sense at all I experienced all of these problems my very first time trying to pick up someones stuff and how can the developers say it is ok?

It litterally says grenades and you pick up the smg then swap smg then swap smg then swap smg and about 20 seconds later you walk away confused and feeling violated!!

Upvote 0
This is so funny when the mod was out the developers used to chew your head off and say jsut look at hte optins and you can see how to pick up a weapon.

Again we are seeing the game dumbed down and almost the exact opposite point is made that we are dummbimng down the game for retards when the motto used to be look it up retard.

And again we are seeing the game basically dumbed down for Counter Strike players.

I would say that's exactly it:

[RO]schneidzekk said:
The Free Update adds ... improvements/changes made due to player feedback garnered during the Free-Week trial period.

Upvote 0

While I don't feel quite as strongly as Ghost does about the issue, I can't help but find myself agreeing with him on a number of issues.

When I started playing RO, I went out and bought Unreal Tournament to be able to do so, and I did so quite happily, knowing that I was getting my RO-goodness at the end of it. The community, while small, was extremely loyal, and the devs responded in kind.

And while the community was more than willing to explain various niches about the game, tactics, good sniping/mg positions, where to go, how to get there without being shot, etc, when it came to basic controls, it was expected of people to KNOW these things, or be able to look them up.

Things like switching weapons were, while a bit difficult to grasp at first, accepted by the community because, hey, it wasn't that bad, and honestly, if you're trying to change weapons in the middle of a firefight and get shot, you should've picked a better time to do it. We never had as much trouble as people say they have since the Retail release. I know I sat there many times in game listening to people complain about picking up weapons while I merrily snagged whatever it was they weren't able to. I always thought that ammo pouches would be a great thing to add, but I wasn't concerned by it. I had done it for years prior, and I would continue to do it.

But then the game goes retail. And suddenly friends whom I had convinced to buy UT to play RO with me are saying that the games is slowly being dumbed down.

I, as my typical self, tell them to STFU, cause I knew the Devs weren't going to let that happen.

And yet, here I am, complaining about it.

The switch to english names (and I thank the Devs for bringing back an option to let us use the original names), the COD/DOD insta-switching of weapons, the marker telling people if they're in semi-auto or full-auto fire modes... it's all stuff that I can't help but think as being cued up to make the game dumber so that the average gamer can hop into and expect to do well at.

Now don't get me wrong. I still love the game, and I respect the Devs for doing what most game Devs don't do in listening to the community, and I fully realize that the stuff I'm complaining about is very minor in the overall aspect of the game itself, but...

I truly believe that it wouldn't hurt to have one or two on the Dev team that would just stand up and say, "Hell no, we're not putting that in. Just because you're too f##king stupid to do <insert game function here> doesn't mean we're going to dumb the game down to the lowest denominator."

Upvote 0

While I don't feel quite as strongly as Ghost does about the issue, I can't help but find myself agreeing with him on a number of issues.

When I started playing RO, I went out and bought Unreal Tournament to be able to do so, and I did so quite happily, knowing that I was getting my RO-goodness at the end of it. The community, while small, was extremely loyal, and the devs responded in kind.

And while the community was more than willing to explain various niches about the game, tactics, good sniping/mg positions, where to go, how to get there without being shot, etc, when it came to basic controls, it was expected of people to KNOW these things, or be able to look them up.

Things like switching weapons were, while a bit difficult to grasp at first, accepted by the community because, hey, it wasn't that bad, and honestly, if you're trying to change weapons in the middle of a firefight and get shot, you should've picked a better time to do it. We never had as much trouble as people say they have since the Retail release. I know I sat there many times in game listening to people complain about picking up weapons while I merrily snagged whatever it was they weren't able to. I always thought that ammo pouches would be a great thing to add, but I wasn't concerned by it. I had done it for years prior, and I would continue to do it.

But then the game goes retail. And suddenly friends whom I had convinced to buy UT to play RO with me are saying that the games is slowly being dumbed down.

I, as my typical self, tell them to STFU, cause I knew the Devs weren't going to let that happen.

And yet, here I am, complaining about it. \

The switch to english names (and I thank the Devs for bringing back an option to let us use the original names), the COD/DOD insta-switching of weapons, the marker telling people if they're in semi-auto or full-auto fire modes... it's all stuff that I can't help but think as being cued up to make the game dumber so that the average gamer can hop into and expect to do well at.

Now don't get me wrong. I still love the game, and I respect the Devs for doing what most game Devs don't do in listening to the community, and I fully realize that the stuff I'm complaining about is very minor in the overall aspect of the game itself, but...

I truly believe that it wouldn't hurt to have one or two on the Dev team that would just stand up and say, "Hell no, we're not putting that in. Just because you're too f##king stupid to do <insert game function here> doesn't mean we're going to dumb the game down to the lowest denominator."

I agree. Nothing much can be added really, I just hope they concentrate on the important things like bug fixes rather than these pointless additions in the next patches. As you say its not a big deal, but you can see their emphasis and I think they will go the same way as all the other developers by doing things like this.

First you establish a nice loyal player base that gets the game word of mouth, and then you dumb it down until any muppet can play without having to use his head, and at the same time make the current systems inferior to accomodate them.

Its a small problem but I think is only an indication of where this game is heading. I mean what would you rather have, bug fixes or pointess dumbing down additions?

Upvote 0