• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

I've been looking for a good realism squad, but most of the ones I've seen on Armed Assualt Zone are elitist asshole jerks, and I havn't even talked to them, it is just the vibe i've gotten from reading there forum and their webpages.
Pot, kettle...

As to your earlier comment about "learning to read the map", the 'map help' is a collection of things that compensate for the fact that it's a virtual environment. People who sit there and harp on things like that, saying that they're unrealistic, seem to have a lack of understanding of what is and is not possible in a gaming environment where we're all playing as trained soldiers operating in what is usually a familiar AO with everyone having in theory received a detailed briefing prior to each mission, as well as having very good communication between each team. Thus, it makes sense to let us know where we are on the map, and see where are friendlies are when appropriate. Wargames League takes it further than that, but I don't believe you've tried it out. Anyhow, the point is that systems like that allow for players to get on with the 'fun' part of things without having to spend a great deal of time orienting themselves or whatever. There's enough stuff to keep track of in a heated OFP session already. We don't need to waste our time on the mundane things that all the soldiers would presumably already know.

If you'd like to spend a ton of time getting a group of players familiar enough with the map, and getting comms flawless enough that it will never be an issue in-game, feel free. For the group I run, we have a very large playerbase and it's impractical to turn off the map help. Doing so would degrade gameplay and add NOTHING to the experience.

I also hope you're not grousing about realism and playing any mod other than Wargames League.

I would invite you to check out my Flashpoint group, but you seem to be a bit of an elitist yourself and probably wouldn't like that we use that crazy 'map help' thing. Nevermind that we run Wargames League, have a slew of great rules, turn off autospotting/3rd person, abide by "Dead men tell no tales" rules, and so on and so forth...

Oh, and re: ArmA, if any of you remember my Red Orchestra preview, I'll be doing something for ArmA as well pre-release. It's going to be a monstrous preview of the game with all kinds of videos, screens, and info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pot, kettle...
lol right back at you :rolleyes:

"We do this and this and this and we never have to do this" you act like the elitist flamer clans/squads I described. And as a matter of fact I have played WGL, but I wasn't impressed, it didn't really add anything that I havn't seen in FFUR or previous WGL versions. I'm sorry that I like to play realistic and I personally think the map help is silly, especially during 1985, but for armed assualt if the map is in the form of a PDA I could understand seeing another commander on the map. But honestly, you don't need it, if you are really working as a team you would be on Teamspeak and you would be talking with the other squad and you would know their situation.

But if you wouldn't have bothered to flame like some tough guy maybe you could have understood what I meant by my comment about the elitist squads. I read their forums and I keep hearing how they kick people from their servers if they are beating them, and they always insult recruits who they say arn't good enough even though they havn't even played the game yet. Also the amount of bickering between squads saying one is better than the other and "We pwn ju" stuff is a bit elitist in my opinion. If you don't see where I'm coming from with my statement you are blind.

:rolleyes: You trying to compare map preference with immature unprofessionalism....ppffft, go back in your hole.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
And as a matter of fact I have played WGL, but I wasn't impressed, it didn't really add anything that I havn't seen in FFUR or previous WGL versions
You didn't pay much attention if you thought WGL didn't add things that haven't been seen in other mods. There are a slew of really great features that WGL has that I've never seen in FFUR or any other mod. I guess you'd have to play it more than for an hour or two to really see that, though.

I'm sorry that I like to play realistic and I personally think the map help is silly, especially during 1985,
This is proof that you didn't comprehend what I was saying. You think of it as the player having some kind of magical electronic map. It's not that. It's an arbitration of real-life factors represented in the game in a simplified manner. It's ok, though, people who cite the map thing as a "realism" issue typically don't want to admit why it is the way that it is, as they feel that not using the map makes them "elite" or whatever.

But honestly, you don't need it, if you are really working as a team you would be on Teamspeak and you would be talking with the other squad and you would know their situation.
How many people do you typically have in your OFP sessions? Maybe if you have a small group it's feasible, but when you're talking 30+ players, your theory goes out the window. Also, if you knew the first thing about WGL, you'd realize that there are actual gameplay elements that come into play with regards to seeing friendlies on the map. As I said, it's an arbitration of reality. In WGL, you can easily set it so that group tracking is only active when squads have radiomen with radios. If the radioman goes down, the group tracking goes offline and that squad no longer sends position updates to other friendly squads, and no longer sees their positions update. Thus, the radioman becomes an important gameplay element for missions designed to allow it. I dare say that's realistic, but I suppose you'll grouse about how that's not hardcore enough, the players designated as radiomen should be sitting there spending their entire in-game experience manually giving position updates to the other squads. To each their own, I guess.

But if you wouldn't have bothered to flame like some tough guy maybe you could have understood what I meant by my comment about the elitist squads.
Whether you recognize it or not, I know exactly what you're talking about with those other squads. My group avoids that behavior as a rule. The fact that I'm bagging on you is because you're giving an elitist "lol maps are for noobs" attitude immediately before complaining about elitists in Flashpoint. Do you not see that or what? If you think what I said was flaming, you read it with a serious chip on your shoulder. Try not to get so instantly defensive and aggressive and maybe you'll be able to comprehend such posts better in the future.

I read their forums and I keep hearing how they kick people from their servers if they are beating them, and they always insult recruits who they say arn't good enough even though they havn't even played the game yet. Also the amount of bickering between squads saying one is better than the other and "We pwn ju" stuff is a bit elitist in my opinion. If you don't see where I'm coming from with my statement you are blind.
Uh, yeah. I know what you're talking about, as I said. You're the pot calling the kettle black. You cannot see it, obviously, but you're *****ing about behaviors that you're partially exhibiting yourself. You sit here and ***** and ***** about Flashpoint squads, and then turn and attack someone who runs what is probably the least elitist Flashpoint group there is, because he was trying to explain why the map thing isn't a strictly realism issue.

You trying to compare map preference with immature unprofessionalism....ppffft, go back in your hole.
Your immaturity and unprofessionalism was highlighted quite nicely by your reply to my post. I wouldn't link the map thing with immature unprofessionalism, but I would link your behavior in this thread to such things.

Have fun searching for a Flashpoint squad that will tolerate your attitude while giving you the kind of play that you'd like. If it weren't for that, as I said, I'd welcome you to check out my group. If you ditched the attitude and the elitist behavior, you'd probably have a good time with us. But, as we're by no means desperate for members, I will not extend that courtesy to someone with such poor behavior.

Upvote 0
I've been looking for a good realism squad, but most of the ones I've seen on Armed Assualt Zone are elitist asshole jerks, and I havn't even talked to them, it is just the vibe i've gotten from reading there forum and their webpages.

honestly, many of the guys who are still playing OFP these days have probably been playing since the game first came out. and yes the squads do have a tendency to have an 'elitist' attitude, simply because they have been *training* in this virtual battlefield for a good 3-4 years. If you spend that amount of time doing something you do take on an air of expertise.

what you have to do is simply avoid the leet dudes, and find some 20-30-40's aged group of guys to play with.

once armed assault comes out, there will be a massive influx of BF2 style players, who will play for a month or two before they get bored. after that it will blossom much like the original ofp.

Upvote 0
I've heard that they have announced November 20 as a release date in Germany, but no other relases have been mentioned. It's also a bit frustrating that all the recent previews are either in Czech or German :(

Oh, and re: ArmA, if any of you remember my Red Orchestra preview, I'll be doing something for ArmA as well pre-release. It's going to be a monstrous preview of the game with all kinds of videos, screens, and info.
Looking forward to it ;)

Upvote 0
I think I need to see a gameplay video of the gold version. Because I still see a lot of things in OFP that bugged me that are still in ArmA: bullet counter, no bi-pods, grenades are "hit a button auto throw", when shot people finish the animation they are in instead of just dying right then and there (most noticible when a prone person is getting up, gets shot, stands all they way up and falls back down... dumb), reload animations that don't actually reload the weapon (mostly it looks like he takes out a invisible magazine from his pouch and puts in the weapon... even if its a mg :confused:), and 3rd person view (a big wtf on this one, this game is supposed to be sim level realistic).

Though the animations aren't final so there goes 2 off the list. The bullet counter can be turned off, but it really shouldn't even be a option in MP (unknown if this will be taken out later). Bi-pods are still TBA, haven't seen any video of it though, there was a mod for them OFP IIRC so it should be possible. So really the only thing that bugs me is the "push a button auto throw" for grenades. Almost any semi-realistic game lets you "cook" a grenade before you throw and allows you to aim it/under hand throw it. Though this only really usefull for city combat (which OFP wasn't to great at and kind of avoided, I'm talking about multi-level fighting here, in OFP it was all ground level in cities, you rarely if ever got shot at from enemies that were in a building). Lastly, 3rd person view... it simply doesn't belong, like the bullet counter it should be a SP only option to help out the uninitiated. So until those issues are cleared up, I will not buy OFP with better graphics. Also, since most of the videos I have seen haven't been that large in screen size, is there +1 bullet count when you reload?

Upvote 0
3rd person view can be disabled anyway...but it's nice to have when you just wanna chill and have fun. I also hate the grenade system, thats why I always used the grenade launcher m203 and the russian one, I could litterly land one right at someones feet from 150 yards away, and you could put them through windows much easier than regular nades.

Upvote 0