• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A big thumbs up on pickups!

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
The new pickup system is a great! thanks TW!

I used to avoid trying to pick up weapons, it was too much of a hassle, and often ended with me throwing away a perfectly good gun only to not be able to pick up another because it took too long, or the pickup woulden't work because a magazine was lying ontop of the gun or similar.

It frustrated me ALOT, even if my weapon was as good as empty, i didn't dare try to pick up a better one lying there, as it more often than not got me killed because it took too long to get all the ammo, or i just plain coulden't get it anyway, but now it works beutifully, you just replace what you have with that shiny G-41 lying there, and grab the ammo pouch, end of storry, you just captured a gun.

It might be a small feature change, and one thats been overlooked by many so far, but to me, this is a big change for the better, thank you! :)

I tried picking up German grenades near a gun before and it wasnt centered right so i ended up dropping and repicking up my weapon like three times fast before i got the nades. That's one negative thing about the new system.

before, you drop with one button, and picked up with another.

I still think you should drop with backslash then pickup with Z, but keep the ammo pouches obviously.

Upvote 0
I like the way ammo now comes as 1 item, but the rest just makes picking up items more awkwared. For example today I tried to pick up some nades at a choke point where 4-5 guys had just died. I pointed at the nades and end up switching weapons instead, and then I try to hunt for some ammo for it and end up switching weapons again! I would prefer the old system but with ammo as one item like now, at least then its impossible to grab the wrong item by mistake. TBH I don't see any advantage to the new system, except you will no longer get new players saying "how do I pick up weapons". WD Tripwire for trying to tackle the problem, but I think this new system is a step back IMO. The best way to tackle the problem would have been to ensure items can't spawn on top of each other, and left the "throw weapon to pick up a new one" system in.

Upvote 0
One time I was pinned down by a sniper and there was a sniper rifle and a pistol lying nearby from a dead pal of mine. I desperately grabbed for it, but nothing happened. The pistol was on top of it, so I couldn't get it for some reason, even though I had no pistol. The 'Pick up scoped Mosin-Nagant' text was right there on my screen, but it just wouldn't switch. It was really annoying, I got killed shortly after that when I should have lived. Oh well, the rest of my experiences with it have been positive. :)

Upvote 0
I don't mind the ammo pouch change, but I honestly loathe the CoD-esque one-key weapon swap. Apart from the fact that it's oversimplified bollocks, I consistantly switch my weapon whilst attempting to pickup satchels, panzerfausts, pistols, etc. It's driving me crazy. It also doesn't resolve the layering issue. Grenades still land on top of pistols without fail. The layering is what needs adjusting. If that gets sorted, all these weapon pickup changes would become redundant.

Upvote 0
I don't mind the ammo pouch change, but I honestly loathe the CoD-esque one-key weapon swap. Apart from the fact that it's oversimplified bollocks, I consistantly switch my weapon whilst attempting to pickup satchels, panzerfausts, pistols, etc. It's driving me crazy. It also doesn't resolve the layering issue. Grenades still land on top of pistols without fail. The layering is what needs adjusting. If that gets sorted, all these weapon pickup changes would become redundant.

You misunderstood the reason for changing the weapon pickup system apparantly. It has been done to make picking up weapons more intuitive, instead of having to know the 'secret code before you can pick up a weapon' :) It has nothing to do with the 'layering' issue.

Upvote 0
It just seems that you made it more of a chore to get what you actually want when theres a few items near each other. Before if I just wanted some more grenades I could click all round the area until I picked them up, and if I wanted a weapon I would just press the "secret code" (Z for me) and then I could grab a weapon. Now I don't bother trying to get grenades because it takes longer than before. Seriously though pressing "drop weapon" isn't a secret code LOL. No offence but it just looks like a "dumbing down" type thing to me that doesn't really add to the game IMO

Upvote 0
It just seems that you made it more of a chore to get what you actually want when theres a few items near each other. Before if I just wanted some more grenades I could click all round the area until I picked them up, and if I wanted a weapon I would just press the "secret code" (Z for me) and then I could grab a weapon. Now I don't bother trying to get grenades because it takes longer than before. Seriously though pressing "drop weapon" isn't a secret code LOL. No offence but it just looks like a "dumbing down" type thing to me that doesn't really add to the game IMO

It was a secret code to a lot of new players in the free week that didnt know how to pick up a weapon when it said 'pick up weapon X' on their screen. If you can't do that at that point because something mysterious has to be done before you can actually do what it says on the screen, then it's 'secret code' to me and many others. Just because you know how to by now doesn't make it good design.

That doesn't however take away the difficulty people have picking up nades, but that is a seperate issue like I already mentioned twice by now. You keep confusing two issues. No offence. ;)

Upvote 0