• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please change the sniper kill icon back.

There's no magical "sniper icon" popping in the air.

Lol could you imagine if there really were magical death messages that popped up in real life! That would rule!

But yeah we need to get rid of the sniper icon, it encourages sniper vs sniper fights because once one sniper is killed and he sees the sniper icon and the guy who shot him, he is going to keep going after that guy. I've personally stopped buying into this "realism" that TW has been feeding us. They are basically taking "gameplay first" elements, taking the label off, and taping "REALISM" to it.

Upvote 0
This doesn't bother me at all really. Only thing that does bothers me (well "bother" is maybe too strong a word considering we don't pay anything for these updates) is the idea that the devs thought it was worth their time putting it in the game when they could be working on bug fixes. I know it probably doesn't take much time, and they guy that implements it probably isn't they guy that created the image, but it still seems like a minor thing compared to the other stuff that needs fixing

Upvote 0
I'm against it. It lets the enemy know that there is a sniper. They should have to figure that out the old fashioned way isntead of being told there is a sniper. One of sniping's biggest advantages just went down the drain because now the enemy knows where snipers are located (generally). This icon is awful...

For feth's sake, just make it a [killed] bracket between the names so you won't know if it was an MG, rifle, submachine-gun, etc. A sniper is way more vulnerable to the disadvantage, but it would be better to have none.

Upvote 0
I have to say I don't really like it myself either. The regular rifle bullet icon was perfect, I don't know why you'd need a seperate one for sniper.
Same here. Also it looks kinda unecessarily cheesy due to it's giant "hey everyone look at me I got a snipe kill" icon size. The simple bullet icon with bullets of different sizes/shapes to indicate what got you is perfect IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got nothing against a sniper-kill icon... but I hate the current one. Why you ask?

6568.jpg

lmao, When I first seen the icon, this was the exact image that came to my mind... and I was like "wtf is this?"

It just looks out of place, and too large in my opinion...

Upvote 0
Why dont we add more custom icons while we are at it? I'm thinking for the PPSH, we should have a super-sweet hipshot icon, something like this:

rambo.jpg

But maybe with two guns instead of one.

I mean, we wouldnt want people to think that they were killed by some ordinary smg, they got RAMBO'D!
ROTFL!!! That's too funny man!*Announcers voice* "You've been StallOwned"

Upvote 0
Before anyone flames me im not joining in this argument per say, i just want to point out the advantages of the new icon:

1) lets your team know when you really need to take that enemy sniper down.

2) lets your team know if your sniper is doing their job effectively.

Previous to this there was no way to tell how many kills the sniper was getting (on most maps the sniper should have one of the highest kill scores), even if you looked at his score you cant really tell how well hes doing because of the points gained/deducted by giving ammo/capping/TK's. At least now you get a good idea of if your sniper is doing well or not.

Those are good arguments but a sniper is supposed to be unseen. Having a regular bullet button disguised the fact that a sniper was truly kicking ass under the pretext that he might be a rifleman and not worth such a hunt.

Upvote 0
It's an icon. It takes what, two minutes to make that and save it as whatever filetype RO needs? It's not like they wasted two months of development time that could have been spent fixing armor coding or optimizing the code. Hell, for all we know it started out as an office joke and made it into the game as a 'so there!'

I could care less either way. If it gave the devs happy feelings or warm fuzzies to put it in, who am I to complain. Hopefully the servers will be running no-deathmessage anyway :)

Upvote 0