• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine Gun functionality

If hunter and soldiers can "automatically" align their sights on the target when standing from crouch, why not make the move temporarily activate an aimbot then? Also, most pop-up shooters are not shouldering their rifle as they stand up, it is allready shouldered when they are crouching. I would think trying to keep your rifle pointing straight forward while quickly standin up would be more akward than bringing it to shoulder after standing. In any case, that doesn't explain 'instantaneous' standinf rom crouch.

Also, while on the subject, another problem in the mod is 'instantaneous' proning. Rather than going down in a smooth motion, people just teleport into prone, and it's rather annoying. People can often apear to just vanish out of your sights, when in reality they just proned behind your gun. In real life you would see them sinking in to prone...they wouldn't just disapear.

On zoom; oh. Well then, I might mention the FOV paradox...in real life you have about 120 degrees FOV, but since a 15-20" monitor doesn't take up 120 degrees of your own FOV, everything gets smaller. In terms of the actual perceived size of objects going into distance, 60 degrees is closer to real life. Since neither one is totally correct, it often makes sense to use both, instead of a compromise such as 90 degree FOVs. Ultimately, I don't care that much if there's a zoom or not, but I thought I'd mention the issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
A trained rifleman can eyeball a target from a crouch, then stand and shoulder the rifle in one smooth movement, with the sights automatically aligning with the target. At most it takes a split second to refine the sight picture and shoot. How else do you think still- and stalk-hunters can shoot a moving deer accurately? It takes practice, oh yes indeed, it takes HOURS and HOURS of practice to do. But it eventually becomes instinctive. The same technique becomes second nature to soldiers as well.

Let me tell you, the first time you realize that your gun comes to your shoulder with the sights perfectly aligned on target without you even thinking about it is, well, awesome.
Uh-huh. That's why the typical acquire-target-and-fire time is about three seconds for an open-ironsight weapon, and about 1.5 seconds for the more recently-designed Steyr AUG 1.5x sight.

A small number of people with a great deal of training might be able to routinely do better than that but they would be the exception not the rule. Even with the excellent sights on the Steyr, it is a very unusual person that can reliably put two rounds on a fig.12 target within two seconds - even at well under 100m.

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Snap shots on targets at 100 yards in less than one second: check.
Picking up a running deer at 80 yards in open sights and firing in less than two seconds: check.
Over 30 years spent handling, shooting, and training other people to shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns: check.

Military training isn't the best for marksmanship. Not even close.

Upvote 0
Hi all. Just newly registered in the redorchestragame forum (I already was in redorchestramod forum, thus rejoining here).
I specifically joined to place an opinion about MG use in RO-OST, and found this thread relating to the item, so I post it here.

The thing I would like to underline is the difficulty I found now, in comparison to the MOD, while prone and using the MG.
In the MOD, while prone, you could use the MG both deployed AND undeployed. Now, the "deploy" and "ironsight" commands produce the same result, and I found the use of MG in assault rushes much less effective.
I don't know if the modification were done because of unrealistical behavior or to made simpler the deploying to newbies, but I can tell it really changed the gameplay of the MGers, especially in platoon fast moving situations.
Of course I use the pistol for near-range autodefense, but in the MOD I often used the MG undeployed, since it takes too long to switch from pistol to MG, and then deploying it.
I would like to know your thoughts on this.

I quote a previous post with important considerations (IMO) regarding the MG:

Omissis.......
Another thing which I hope made it into Ostfront: being able to go from prone to crouch without having to stand up first.
Omissis.......
Hmm... another thing just came to my mind: being able to leave a deployed MG, to quickly evade nades or whip out your pistol, and then returning back to it.

In fact, the last suggestion could be a good answer to my issue: leave the deployed MG to quickly use your pistol... at least you can look around you without turn in a passive target...

Thanks all

Upvote 0
My god people, this is a thread from 7 months ago.

I'm following invitation to keep threads compact, adding instead of opening several new threads, possibly about the same argument.
No surprise about thread age... this only means people has still something to point out about the object (MG in this specific case).
I only hope Devs or Btesters doesn't forget to give a look between this lines, from time to time.... but I'm sure they will.

Thanks all.

Upvote 0