• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which was the greatest Empire of all Time?

Bah its only `cos the scots were fighting for you and dont give meh any of that we conquered you ****, the scots were to busy stabbing each other in the back.

Your right the Highlander where an excellent fighting regiment and i still think they are the best, and we did conquer you so :p, same for wales and Ireland thus its the United Kingdom, well not southern Ireland but we dont really like them they smell :p

Upvote 0
Greatest Empire.

Greatest Empire.

Hi All.
New to your forum, juust like to say it is great.
I felt I had to reply to the above topic.
You have ommitted the Greeks. It is their empire which has outstayed all others. The Romans took the Greek way of life,90% of Roman invention was Greek. Modern society is based on Greek thinking. Militarily, modern foot soldiers still carry the same weight of equipment as did the Spartan Hoplite 2700 yrs ago. Law courts are still based on the Greek law system. Day to day living. The flushing toilets that you use today were based on the Greek toilet from 3000 yrs ago. Bath tubs that you use today are also based on Greek designs. Hot and cold water supplies also. Although men did not have hot baths they thought it too feminine. Mathematics, Arts, Poetry, Theatre, Alexander the Great (Megas Alexandros) spread Helenism eastward right through to India. To this day tribal people still speak of him. For the Europeans. Europe is a Greek name, the area north of Greece. The Romans only whent and colonised where the Greeks had gone before. All educated people in Rome spoke Greek not Latin. Teachers that taught in Rome were greek.
I hope this gives an insight into what should be considered the greatest empire. I could create a whole library on how Helenism from the ancient time has influnced and shaped the world and still is. For the guys in the US. See how your legal and election system is based on what the Greeks had and not Roman. I did read somewhere, I don't know what truth there is in it that, after the war of independence there was a vote to determine which languge would be used for the new country. Greek lost by one vote to English. Perhaps someone could confirm this. As somene else has said it is not just area of land that determines a great empire. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Messopotamians and Egyptians

Messopotamians and Egyptians

Yes these too were great civilisations. Unfortunately they did not have a written language as such.
What I mean is:
Messopotamia is a Greek word meaning "in between the rivers" ie between the two rivers in Iraq- Tigris and Euphrates. It is unfortunate that so little is known about this civilisation because of a lack of written records, they have to use the ancient Greek name for them. I wonder what their own name was for themselves. Also a lack of funding, wars etc to allow indepth archaeoligy.
Also the Egyptians. What I mean is there is no written records of any type of mathematics on how they calculated the building of their pyramids which were true feats of engineering, or for astronomy which they based their whole religion/life on. Although Egyptians invented papyrs for writing on there is very little of it. :)

Upvote 0
Still, the greek did not really have a proper empire. While they were the founders of europe culturally, they did not have a huge empire. In fact, there wasn't even a "greece" back then, but hundreds of miniature nations and autonomous cities (poleis). Don't mix up "empire" with "culture" ;)

I'd say the romans were the greatest empire, because they were the first ones to dominate both econimically and militarily a whole continent.

Upvote 0
Still, the greek did not really have a proper empire. While they were the founders of europe culturally, they did not have a huge empire. In fact, there wasn't even a "greece" back then, but hundreds of miniature nations and autonomous cities (poleis). Don't mix up "empire" with "culture" ;)

I'd say the romans were the greatest empire, because they were the first ones to dominate both econimically and militarily a whole continent.

This all comes down to definition.

How do you define a empire? Is it only millitary/territorial power or is it cultural achievments?

Depending on view point you can come up with different conclutions.
I.e. you could say that the roman empire would never had been (or atleast most probably never had been) what it was without the influence of the greek culture.
Leaving the question which one was the greater empire greece that "formed" the roman empire or just the roman empire?

Of course you can take it even further then.
What would the greeks have been without the Minoan culture that held most part of the eastern mediterranian sea and was the cradle of greek culture?
And even further had the Minoan culture become what it was without the influence of the Egyptian culture?

But hell, who am I to speculate in this I'm no historian I'm a mechanical engineer! :)

Wilsonam where the hell are you when we need a historian in here ^^

Upvote 0