• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Sheep factor

I also vote using Oi Oi Oi's method. I think the voting system is fine in general but servers should restrict voting for earlier maps more. By that I mean how the map that has just been played is greyed out as an option. I seem to remember in the mod servers that greyed out the previous 3 or so maps, i would like to see this more. I often play on the FK's #4 tank server, and some days people vote for arad literally every other map, and are only not voting all the time for it because of this restriction. Once after a game of arad , arad night was voted for! Yes, it's a good map, but i don't see what's so amazing that people want to play it so much. If servers can't/won't restrict voting of recently played maps, I'd be happy if there was an arad 24/7 server simply so that the arad whores can go elsewhere.

Upvote 0
One problem I find is that there is SO much time allowed to vote for maps, that once a trend forms, everyone just jumps on the bandwagon.

A good remedy for this is for server admins to reduce the time allowed to vote ('Voting Time Limit' in webadmin). This way more people will actually vote for what they want, and wont have time to change their mind.

Personally I'm a fan of a 15 second voting timer. :)

As an aside, I'm also a fan of a low mid-game map vote percentage.

Problem with a low vote timer is some players for some reason do not load the vote screen as fast. I vary between instantly having it come on after a map, to taking 30 seconds or not at all and missing the vote entirely. With a 15 second vote timer, half the players wouldn't even see the vote screen.
Works better to remove a map from teh voting rotation for several maps, so ensure some variety, otherwise the same maps get played over and over in an endless cycle. Also, if the list is large, I find hardly anyone at all actually scrolls down, the votes are all on the top half dozen maps that are immediatly visible.

Upvote 0
I often play on the FK's #4 tank server, and some days people vote for arad literally every other map, and are only not voting all the time for it because of this restriction. Once after a game of arad , arad night was voted for! Yes, it's a good map, but i don't see what's so amazing that people want to play it so much. If servers can't/won't restrict voting of recently played maps, I'd be happy if there was an arad 24/7 server simply so that the arad whores can go elsewhere.
After changing the vote time limit to 15, I also changed the setting that will make people wait 3 maps until the current map can be played again.

Hopefully that helps more maps get played.

Upvote 0
I normaly play on the 2manny server and its set so you cant vote for the same map pfor like 8 rounds after its played or something like that. Really helps make it so we play more maps but its still annoying with the sheep factor and all. you get one moron vote for a bad custom map and then 15 more people do the exact same thing. Then we start the map and everyones all pissed that we are stuck playing that unless we can get people to vote again mid round. and this seems to be too much work for some people.

Upvote 0
After changing the vote time limit to 15, I also changed the setting that will make people wait 3 maps until the current map can be played again.

Hopefully that helps more maps get played.

Ah, I haven't been playing much just recently, so I didn't notice that. Thanks a lot :)

To Special Sauce: Ok, sorry, maybe using the word whore was a bit harsh. But still, I don't understand why anyone would want to play the same map constantly, no matter how good it is. I personally love Konigsplatz, but even then I don't ever want to play it again until at least 4 or 5 maps later.

Upvote 0
Because of all the tank maps, Arad's the worst. Well, maybe on par with Barashka, but still. It puts me in mind of Kalinin, a map made purely as a test. Except that Kalinin was actually decent...

For the record, I hate tanks and tank maps, but when it looks like there's no avoiding it, I still prefer almost any other tank map to Arad.

Back ON topic, I'll do the whole sheep thing to speed up the map vote. When everyone stacks on the one map, it's a foregone conclusion, so why bother keeping my one little vote on BaksanValley while everyone grows restless waiting for the votes to either timeout or get a majority? If you want to make it work in your favour, just chuck your preferred map in there mid-round and when the map ends, it'll be the first thing people see when the votemenu comes up. All it takes is one or two others to go "ooh yeah, lets play that!" and then the sheep effect guarantees the win. Unless it's Arad of course, which usually rockets to an early lead, before a revolt occurs and we pull it back from the brink. It's amazing how many people refuse to change their lone vote on maps normally, but magically discover how to reassign it when the threat of Arad looms...

Upvote 0
Ok pretty much every server has map voting but.... people seem to vote for what other people vote for instead of what they really want to play. Anyone know why?

Personaly i would love a blind vote system so noone knows what other people vote for.

Why is it people vote for whatever the first person votes for? Is everyone really lacking any personal opinion?

wow...good idea about blind voting...and yes there are way to many lost little lambs. B1337ing on and on about how their day at school was. somone else had a great idea about an arad24/7 for the whores who cant get enuff. arad is like crack, its so good but so bad at the same time. i wish people played more combined arms maps. free your mind and your ass will follow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the way everyone is writing off tanks, [oh and only having two servers left in the world that have people] is making me realise i might have bought an infantry game....... it's like you [AND THE DEVS IT SEEMS] infantry guys want us just to go away. be careful what u wish for......... WE'RE CLOSE

i bet you guys are those people who join a full server of arad, then vote splatz constantly till u get it. going 'tanks suk' tanks suk' why don't you go and start an infantry game??..
to be honest i think splatz is the most boring map i've ever clapped eyes on....

FOR THE RECORD WE'RE NOT CONFUSED UNINFORMED OR WRONG. WE LIKE TANKS ..!!!!!

WE LIKE ARAD !!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This thread shouldnt have anything to do with arad i dunno why people are crying about it. Personaly i dont mind tank maps Arad is a little off balance thanks to the speed of the BA-64 but other then that its a decent map. More people like arad then will admit to it just another reason to have a blind vote. let people vote for what they like not what others like.

Upvote 0
This thread shouldnt have anything to do with arad i dunno why people are crying about it. Personaly i dont mind tank maps Arad is a little off balance thanks to the speed of the BA-64 but other then that its a decent map. More people like arad then will admit to it just another reason to have a blind vote. let people vote for what they like not what others like.

I've been playing on a couple of server where Arad has become a bit of a "floor clearer". It's not helped by there being Arad, Arad Night, Arad Realism and Arad Arad SH on this one particulr server. :mad:

The server is full and we are all enjoying it. The map ends, and there is a close vote, in which 1 of the falvours of Arad wins. And half the people clear-off, because after an hour, they've had enough of Arad and fancy something else. I don't think this is a positive state of affairs. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
on the servers i play on arad hardly ever gets voted in and we only play till one team wins twice. and Arad takes about 45 seconds for the russians to win a round so the map dosnt last more then 5 min. personaly if i have to play on a map for 5 min that i dont like to keep some players happy i dont mind it. Im much more annoyed with maps like stalingrad where the whole map revolves around one objective. If russians can get that and hold it for a few min its easy to win the map otherwise they spend the whole map running into the warehouse and being killed instantly by 15 camping germans. Not my idea of fun. At least arad ends fast 90% of the time.

Upvote 0
One problem I find is that there is SO much time allowed to vote for maps, that once a trend forms, everyone just jumps on the bandwagon.

A good remedy for this is for server admins to reduce the time allowed to vote ('Voting Time Limit' in webadmin). This way more people will actually vote for what they want, and wont have time to change their mind.

Personally I'm a fan of a 15 second voting timer. :)

As an aside, I'm also a fan of a low mid-game map vote percentage.
no good... on servers that have like 60 maps its hard to scrool down and find the one you want in 15 seconds

Upvote 0
the way everyone is writing off tanks, [oh and only having two servers left in the world that have people] is making me realise i might have bought an infantry game....... it's like you [AND THE DEVS IT SEEMS] infantry guys want us just to go away. be careful what u wish for......... WE'RE CLOSE

i bet you guys are those people who join a full server of arad, then vote splatz constantly till u get it. going 'tanks suk' tanks suk' why don't you go and start an infantry game??..
to be honest i think splatz is the most boring map i've ever clapped eyes on....

FOR THE RECORD WE'RE NOT CONFUSED UNINFORMED OR WRONG. WE LIKE TANKS ..!!!!!

WE LIKE ARAD !!!!!!!

There is such a big difference in Tank and Infantry experience with the game, infantry fighting being much more involved, faster paced etc. Tanking is the same as infantry except on a much larger scale, you drive drive drive for a long time and unless you have a good partner in your tank you end up in a one for one slugfest till one dies (if you have a partner you can usually take a few out or cap), then die, spawn and drive drive drive again. In the case of Orel, it's pretty much all driving....
I like a good tank map, even Arad, but when they get voted for over and over it just gets plain boring without some much more involved infantry fighthing.
I think the best maps are the good combined arms maps. Berezina of course, and there are a few others I can't quite think of. It keeps both the infantry and the tank whores happy.
More combined arms maps guys! :p Make em, vote for em, play em...they keep the servers full.

Upvote 0
FFS THIS IS GETTING RETARDED
if you don't like arad , that's why we have VOTING !!!. IF ARAD IS WINNING, THEN MAYBE GO TELL YOUR MUM AND THEN GO TO AN INFANTRY SERVER. I WILL NEVER PLAY INFANTRY MAPS. THERE R PLENTY OF INFANTRY GAMES THAT RUN WELL. THIS ISN'T ONE OF THEM

RO is probably the best infantry and tank game ive played.

Upvote 0