• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I don't mind if one drum + two clips are given to ppsh gunners. But, what about the PPD? Also, I want the recoil on the MP40 and MP41 reduced to proper levels as well. That, and all the SMGs should be accurate out to 200m. I can personally attest to MP40s being exceptionally accurate for an SMG at 50m. I've never fired it at a target past that range.

Upvote 0
I dont think slightly reduced recoil will unbalance the game

All it would do would slightly change the vertical recoil when standing and crouching. (without the gun rested)

The way it is now your more likely to hit your target from the hip than by aiming while standing. All reduced recoil would do would be to allow someone with an SMG to actualy aim at someone 10-20 feet away without having to dive to the ground and aim.

A lot of people seem to think that any kind of recoil change will make the gun unstoppabe. The topic Only suggests to slightly recduce the recoil when standing and when crouched.

Upvote 0
No, it wouldn't... The mod had reasonable recoil on the PPSh, and yet people still used other weapons for some strange reason.

Maybe because ALL of the SMG's were more accurate?

As someone who employes ONLY SMG's, I do NOT want to see them dominating the game. I also do NOT want the damage levels reduced so that you have to shoot a guy 5 times in order to put him down (DoD:S).

I can agree that the PPSH could use a slight reduction in its standing recoil. But it has to be done VERY carefully in order to preserve the gameplay.

All of the other SMGs are fine. They take a bit of practice to use right, but that's the way it should be IMHO.

Upvote 0
If you've ever fired an SMG in reality you'd see that the in game recoil is absurd. It's just an artificial gameplay balancing "feature."
qft

I throw in my 2 cents:

I think the whole submachingun-balancing-thing took a wrong turn after the mod. In the mod the submachineguns were very powerful, one might argue too powerful. They were decently accurate on all relevant distances when using the sights and ultimate CQB-spray-and-pray machines when hipping. Many people got annoyed by that. So the devs turned up recoil to counter for it.

Now the Russian SMGs are even more used for spraying, because they are a lot less useful in iron sights mode than before. That's the wrong direction. Keep them inaccurate while firing on the move but make them more useful when standing still and aiming.

Upvote 0
Too bloody true Kraut.

In the 3.xx mod days the PPSh was as it should be absolutely deadly within 0-70m range with good aim, and incredible at CQB room clearing.

But there was this proliferation back then of elitist riflemen who *****ed and moaned incessantly about how unfair it was because they would get murdered when they tried to clear a house with a bolt action. Or because a prone soldier aiming down the sights of his PPSh bowled them over when they tried to 'pop-up' shoot him from 30m away. And no amount of reasonable or factual argument about how automatic weapons were designed just for this reason, to be effective at short ranges, could stop the tirade of whinging. Unfortunately the dev's listened when they really shouldn't have.

What's funny is the same people are still at it, there's people who think that the automatics should be even less accurate and more harder to control than they are now. Hell there's even servers where you'll get banned for hipping an automatic at an enemy 5 meters away, it's just ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I disagree, strongly even.

The recoil in RO does not encourage burst fire at all, especially with the PPSh and MG42, the longer you fire them the more control you gain over them, which promotes hosing down your target. I don't know about you but no matter how hard I have tried I am just much more effective with the PPD/PPSh if I let off long strings of fire at my target rather than short, sharp bursts. I am a pretty seasoned player and I think anyone who's played in a server with me will agree (not trying to sound ego-centric just saying I can play the damn game).

Standing the PPSh and PPD are basically useless unless you are point blank with your enemy. Even trying to fire bursts the recoil is that hard to fight that if you do manage to keep the gun level your shots disperse lateraly by meters, even at a range of 10 feet. I have literally stood in the trenches on snowy forest, aimed and fired a three round burst at a German standing 5 meters away around the corner with the upper half of his body visible and not hit anywhere near him! You're telling me that's realistic? In the real world I could have cut him down without even looking down the damn sights.

Also has anyone else noticed that with all of the high rate of fire weapons (except the MG34 strangely) if you tap the mouse the gun will seem to fire one shot but in actuality two bullets will come out of it and hit a ridiculous distance apart. Even from a rested position you can aim at a wall 10 meters away and do it and see one bulet hit miles below your point of aim and the other miles above it. Personally I think there are glitches with the high rate of fire weapons, maybe to do with the ballistic calculations, I have seen some strange things like bullets from my MG42 flying meters from where my sight is pointing at short range, same with the SMG's.

I stand by my suggestion that with high rate of fire weapons you should be able to get between 3 and 6 shots out of the barrel before the recoil fully kicks in, depending on individual rates of fire for each weapon. It's a fact that this is one of the advantages of a high rate of fire weapon in the real world so why not model it in the game, all it would take is a slight delay or build up before the recoil fully kicks in. That would make burst fire useful and at the same time not promote hosing targets down any more than the current system or make the guns ridiculously easy to use.

I completely agree. The current system promotes "hosing"/hipping at all ranges (which is fine for close range) instead of accurate burst shots for the russain SMG's.

It may be balanced, but its not at all realistic.

Upvote 0