• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

Yay for HSR. SS units make me warm and fuzzy inside, as do scripted events triggering the Afrika Korps! It's nice that they GIVE you divisions to use in North Africa. Of course by the time North Africa started I had Panzer IV's, improved Motor / Mechanized units, and Tigers, but hey, I upgraded! :D

I do find though that it takes a while for supply lines to get established in Africa. I ended up sitting tight for a little over a week before pushing right into Egypt and taking Cairo. I'm hoping to take over everything on the western coast of the mouth of the Red sea.

Meanwhile I have my forces massed (foolishly, I'll admit) on the Soviet border in preparation for my 1941 invasion... while the UK makes paratrooper drops all up and down the coast of France. Bastards. I ended up pulling 10 armoured divisions and 20 infantry divisions out of Poland to reinforce the coast. At least, I think they're paratroopers. I don't see any navy off the coast of any of my provinces in France, but yet they're landing 4 divisions at a time and frequently armour, which makes no sense to me. Do I have to have naval forces IN the sea province to see the enemy forces there? I have improved encryption/decryption but I can't see squat. Navy unfortunately I've been largely neglecting so far.

HSR kicks the living poodoo out of vanilla, I must say. Things like the SA scandal, Legion Condor, etc. etc. etc. add a lot of spice to the game. :)

Upvote 0
Do I have to have naval forces IN the sea province to see the enemy forces there? I have improved encryption/decryption but I can't see squat. Navy unfortunately I've been largely neglecting so far.

No, you just need a unit in a coastal province. By the sounds of things, your coast is undefended. But don't put units in every province, they can only land on ones which have a beach head, and you can see that by clicking on the province and viewing its information or by viewing the map in terrain mode; you should see what looks like a little 2D beach.

Upvote 0
The computer promotes generals automatically with no loss to skill -- that is, when you aren't playing as that nation. Generals have set years when they are to receive a promotion.

In any case, I was distraught by Rommel being a Lt. General, so instead of sacrificing skill to get him up, I edited the game save file. Also in doing so, you can rename units/corps etc, so instead of crap like CCLXVI Korps or something silly like that, I had a lot of my corps renamed to like, 2. Panzerarmee, Heeresgruppe Nord, etc. There's a lot you can do by editing the saves.

Upvote 0
I like Werhmact heavy divisions more than SS divisions. Although 6 SS Marine divisions, with back up from 3 Marine divisions with Arty, can rape any beach defence it's not even funny. Also, give Manstien(sp?) and Guderian 1 HQ each, 5 Panzer divisions each, and 6 Mech. or Mot. divisions each. Nothing can stop that, and for some reason that setup works better than 12 Panzer divisions.

Upvote 0
I have 3000 manpower in June '43... dunno how, but I do... SS divisions on most of my 60 armoured divisions (60 in Poland right now, anyways. The 5 left in North Africa from when I got my ass beat by my own supply lines don't count anymore)

I'm currently hunkered down in Tobruk... the UK has taken everything up to the Italian border, except for Tobruk, which I chose as my final location to defend as it's got level 3 land forts. I guess I'll have to use transport planes to supply myself. :eek: Meanwhile the SU kicks my ass handily against my somewhat-hardened, mostly-green eastern army. Don't know how it's happening but damn. At least the invasions of France have stopped now that I bothered to garrison the coastal provinces. :p

Upvote 0
I have 3000 manpower in June '43... dunno how, but I do... SS divisions on most of my 60 armoured divisions (60 in Poland right now, anyways. The 5 left in North Africa from when I got my ass beat by my own supply lines don't count anymore)

I'm currently hunkered down in Tobruk... the UK has taken everything up to the Italian border, except for Tobruk, which I chose as my final location to defend as it's got level 3 land forts. I guess I'll have to use transport planes to supply myself. :eek: Meanwhile the SU kicks my ass handily against my somewhat-hardened, mostly-green eastern army. Don't know how it's happening but damn. At least the invasions of France have stopped now that I bothered to garrison the coastal provinces. :p

Good luck, I love that DAK event for the Germans in HSR. In one of my games I pushed the Brittish out of Africa, captured the Suez, up to Lebenon and Iraq and pushed down to Ethiopia. I then asked Iraq to join my alliance and they did. Shortly thereafter, they offered me to trade oil, about 35 units a day for 30 coal. I was like, yatsee!

But check out my AAR now, on the paradox forums, tell me what you think!
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263485

Upvote 0
The unfortunate result of waiting too long to invade the Soviets and forgetting to set your supply convoys to automatically be created (see North Africa)

North Africa was going well until I tried to take Suez and had forgotten to set my supply convoys back to automatic... ended up running out of oil for my armoured/motorized units around the mouth of the Red Sea and eventually pulled everything back to Alexandria. They started bombing me, so I fell back again to Tobruk, which had level 4 forts and level 3 AA along with the Italian air forces nearby.

Yeah. I started invading the Soviets in May of '43. Shouldn't have waited for my production of new armoured units to finish, it basically killed me.

The Soviet invasion was the worst I've ever experienced; the siege of Kiev lasted over a year... at one point 9 divisions successfully beat back 50 armoured and motorized divisions attacking them while they were completely encircled, out of supply, and had interdiction/ground attack continously on them. So I let them sit there for the next 8 months and before long I had starved them down to one division, which I promptly overran (50:1 not exactly fair)

I then pressed on further across the Dnepr, only to meet even heavier resistance and of course the Soviet land forts implemented in HSR. Finland was annihilated by the superior Soviet numbers, and my usual advantage in technology was wasted by me waiting too long. I had SS Panther divisions going up against T-34 m.44's (Soviet advanced med. tanks) with IS-2 brigades attached. Not pretty. In theory I had it won but the siege of Kiev effectively ****ed me over. I had to dedicate those units to continuously encircling them, which removed a huge portion of my 60+ armoured divisions from the invasion that should have been, at that point, pushing into the mountains near Baku.

The northern army was faring even worse; I never even made it to Leningrad to besiege it, never mind capturing it. A huge number of my infantry divisions were up there and being beaten by Soviet Great War infantry, and I usually had superior numbers too. Keep in mind these were almost all SS infantry.

Army Group Centre made the most progess, but never captured Vladimir, and certainly not Moscow. The sight of 38 Soviet divisions in the capital was too much for me to stomach, so I basically concentrated my forces elsewhere. Then the winter of '43 came along so I had to hunker down for a while. A while being six months. When May came along, I was being faced with repeated Soviet counterattacks that I continued to beat back.

And then of course, entered the British and Americans into the Western Front, along with the failed assassination attempt which took my finest Panzer and infantry commanders including Rommel. Guderian got a new position as Field Marshall and Chief of Staff, which he was more than deserving of, but that was the final breaking point for the German offensives. The Soviets were counterattacking, the Americans had made paratroopers landings in Amsterdam and quickly began to liberate Belgium and the Netherlands, along with the British landing in France and starting to push inwards. I lost Paris, Amiens, everything. I've fallen back to Saarbrucken and hope to prevent them from passing me by for fear of 300,000 men coming at them from behind. (30 divisions in a level 4 land fort province should hold me against the British and American forces.)

All in all, I underestimated the AI... I played poorly, especially considering I'm playing HSR.

Upvote 0
So you waited to fight the USSR. That explains why you had 3000 manpower.

Some notes:
Why is Denmark still free? Annexing Denmark seals off the Baltic Sea; if the Allies got access to the Baltic, they could land within a province of Berlin!

While 60 Panzer divisions may sound like a good idea, they cost a severely high amount of oil, they perform with an -85% effectivity disadvantage in urban centers, and they have poor river crossing modifiers. The big thing though is the oil; when that's eaten up, your Panzers, your airforce, everything that makes Germany a power, is rendered useless.

Your Western Front is wide open. Always, always keep troops on the Western Front. I usually put one infantry division per beach head and have two mobile groups in reserve; one in Paris, one in Brussels. These usually consist of 1 Panzer division + 2 Mechanized divisions, and the Paris unit often has an HQ attached or nearby.

Do not wait to attack the USSR. Any later than June 1942 is bad; even anywhere after June 1941 puts you at a severe disadvantage. They will build, and build...until you are unable to defeat what is being thrown at you. You need to score early and decisive victories against the USSR; their army must be destroyed, their population and industrial centers must be captured. When that is done, it becomes a matter of seeing how quickly you can push to and beyond the Urals.

With the Afrika Korps, you will very often find yourself disadvantaged in terms of numbers. What you need to do in this situation is to trade land for British prisoners. Basically, hold so that half of your forces are on the top province (so generally you are fighting with two provinces, and the rest underneath is desert), and leave the other half (preferably Rommel) on the lower side. Use Rommel to achieve a breakthrough, and then cut north. Use the units holding the line to assist in reducing the pocket. Move on and repeat as necessary.

Greece/Crete are important for the North African campaign, it means that you can easily deploy CAS to the Egyptian coast. Using Crete, you will be able to have all of Egypt easily within grasp; this is useful for interdiction as well as a staging point for Paratroopers.

But, see if you can stabilize your current situation. Devote units to the West, try to continue fighting on the Eastern Front. Try to use an elastic defense to grind down the Soviet fighting strength. When they attack, move your mobile units to intercept (if you lack oil, this will be a problem!). Use their fortifications against them. Moscow will work nicely [EDIT: Nevermind that, I noticed that you haven't taken Moscow], Kiev also makes a good redoubt, as the Russians must cross a river in addition to fighting in an urban environment.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Heh, my oil reserves were down to about 40,000 from 75,000 after a year of fighting. I knew I couldn't keep up that kind of offensive, but I had hoped to make it a quick campaign against the Soviets, which didn't work out.

I always had 2 divisions in each beachhead... in France, which is where the attacks were all coming. I wasn't expecting an invasion of the Netherlands and Belgium, and certainly not by paratroopers. I had 32 divisions spread over 16 provinces, but neglected to guard the coastal provinces farther north than Dunkerque. Lesson learned, I guess.

My attacks on the British went very well. I made it to the province across from Suez (forget what it is called) but I simply couldn't get into Suez. I tried three times with air support and with numerical advantages and I failed every time.

Upvote 0